U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2018, 04:46 PM

498 posts, read 250,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blernard View Post
$50k is a lot of money.

1) Paint the cabinets white ($100 dollars worth of paint)
2) Depending on the look of your cabinets, you can give them texture by adding trim to it to give it texture $50) Example here: https://cherishedbliss.com/kitchen-h...tyle-cabinets/
3) Of course, all new knobs and pulls ($100)
4) New fridge, stove and dishwasher can be had for under $3,000
5) Call up a company like Empire for new floors - likely under $2,000 for your size
6) Paint the walls and ceilings yourself

Of course this leaves the counters and backsplash.

Regardless, what I'm trying to say is there are ways you can bring an old kitchen to life for cheap.
Unfortunately that's not an option when the cabinets have formica on them, the floors are cheap melamine, the appliances are 30 or 40 years old, and the layout is from the 50s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2018, 04:55 PM

15,726 posts, read 23,957,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrpepelepeu View Post
Unfortunately that's not an option when the cabinets have formica on them, the floors are cheap melamine, the appliances are 30 or 40 years old, and the layout is from the 50s.
yeah, some kitchens on LI are beyond the cheap update. I'm pretty sure ours in our house in GC was built before fridges were common....there was clearly no good place to put it in the kitchen before we renovated.

My grandmother's house in NH was the same way....my mom said they just had an icebox when she was a kid.

Old 05-08-2018, 08:19 PM

9,584 posts, read 11,167,117 times
Kitchens are over rated anyway.
All you need is a fridge and a nuker.
And a grille outside.
Nobody cooks or has family dinners anymore.
A fancy kitchen is just something to show off to your friends.

Old 05-10-2018, 07:14 AM

3,115 posts, read 8,495,148 times
Quote:
Sorry for the delay.

The kitchen is 13' x 11'.
The 50k include demolition, cabinets, installation, hardwood flooring, an opening to the living room, permits, and new appliances.

We don't have a boiler in the kitchen luckily.
Maybe not so bad if it includes appliances. I personally install tile in the kitchen, wood does not hold up well in kitchens and baths.

Old 07-05-2018, 01:59 AM

3 posts, read 416 times
20 years is a long time, if you are about to remodel your kitchen, just do it for yourself.I believe, "A design of a dream House is hard to be imagined without visualizing a “Dream Kitchen”. It is the best feeling, when you have finished up with your Kitchen remodel & you realise all your kitchen goods have been placed strategically right where you will need them. So you should plan for kitchen features such that your cooking and cleaning will be even more magical in your new kitchen.

Old 07-05-2018, 05:27 AM

1,589 posts, read 2,053,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphhughes View Post
20 years is a long time, if you are about to remodel your kitchen, just do it for yourself.I believe, "A design of a dream House is hard to be imagined without visualizing a “Dream Kitchen”. It is the best feeling, when you have finished up with your Kitchen remodel & you realise all your kitchen goods have been placed strategically right where you will need them. So you should plan for kitchen features such that your cooking and cleaning will be even more magical in your new kitchen.
Wow, that’s deep.

Old 07-05-2018, 10:00 PM

16,685 posts, read 27,887,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
nor 'assemble your own' cabinets in Cold Spring Harbor.
Funny you should mentio that. We know of someone in CSH who bought those assemble yourself cabinets from one of those buyers clubs...forget the name.

What POS cabinets!

Old 07-05-2018, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Sorry for the delay.

The kitchen is 13' x 11'.
The 50k include demolition, cabinets, installation, hardwood flooring, an opening to the living room, permits, and new appliances.

We don't have a boiler in the kitchen luckily.
Insulation when the walls are opened? Any new windows? Electric and plumbing brought up to code? Do you still have the original radiant heat, or has it been changed to baseboard?

I wanted a wood floor in my kitchen, husband said no. 23 years, many dogs, a couple of kids and a burst filtration line hose later, I am glad I listened to him.

Old 07-06-2018, 05:50 AM

1,783 posts, read 2,911,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Funny you should mentio that. We know of someone in CSH who bought those assemble yourself cabinets from one of those buyers clubs...forget the name.

What POS cabinets!
Depends on brand. There are very good RTA cabinets out there, and half the price of assembled. They are just as good as assembled.

Old 07-06-2018, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
Depends on brand. There are very good RTA cabinets out there, and half the price of assembled. They are just as good as assembled.
I can only speak of the one set I've ever seen which were crap. The homeowner thought they were getting a good deal. The could have done better elsewhere for less money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island