Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2018, 02:13 PM

307 posts, read 636,802 times

Advertisements

It may help you sell faster, if thats an important issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2018, 03:21 PM

20,024 posts, read 20,826,797 times
I watch the stupid house hunting shows and I'll see what looks like a perfectly fine updated kitchen and one of the idiots will always have some complaint, usually stating it needs an entire rip out reno.

Old 05-07-2018, 07:48 AM

983 posts, read 724,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
How big is the kitchen?

That seems like an awful lot of money for a standard size Levitt kitchen. Does that include relocating/new boiler out of the kitchen area?
Sorry for the delay.

The kitchen is 13' x 11'.
The 50k include demolition, cabinets, installation, hardwood flooring, an opening to the living room, permits, and new appliances.

We don't have a boiler in the kitchen luckily.

Old 05-07-2018, 08:40 AM

1,082 posts, read 2,763,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
My r.e. agent told me to paint the kitchen cabinets white using semigloss. That upgrade cost about $25, improved the kitchen's appearance and increased the value of the house.

Point being, you could improve your home's value if upgrades are economical and strategic. I doubt top of the line appliances, tiles, etc. would be cost effective upon resale. Remember the buyer doesn't necessarily share your taste and your upgrades will be used by the time you sell. Your updated kitchen of today may look dated by the time you sell.

Upgrade the way you like for your personal enjoyment and that of Mrs. Lepeu.
Having just sold a property on LI, I can tell you unless your cabinets are really dog-eared and countertops beaten up, you probably will not recoup the cost of a newly remodeled kitchen. The appliances are a different story: buyers look at the age and quality of appliances that will come with the home. They want recently upgraded appliances that they can rely upon, even if they need to renovate the kitchen around them. Also, bathrooms... upgrading a bathroom is always a good investment. Old, dated bathrooms can be disguisting.

Old 05-07-2018, 09:37 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,325,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbathedog View Post
Having just sold a property on LI, I can tell you unless your cabinets are really dog-eared and countertops beaten up, you probably will not recoup the cost of a newly remodeled kitchen. The appliances are a different story: buyers look at the age and quality of appliances that will come with the home. They want recently upgraded appliances that they can rely upon, even if they need to renovate the kitchen around them. Also, bathrooms... upgrading a bathroom is always a good investment. Old, dated bathrooms can be disguisting.
My renovated kitchen caused my home to sell for way way above ask. The money I got over ask was more than the kitchen cost me a few years ago.

Old 05-07-2018, 10:06 AM

1,606 posts, read 2,961,031 times
I love questions like these.

There's no definitive answer. It depends on the house, the kitchen, the materials, the town, and the buyer.

Old 05-07-2018, 08:27 PM

2,771 posts, read 4,528,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrpepelepeu View Post
Hi all,

My wife and I really want to renovate our kitchen, but my dad says I'll never recover the investment.
I disagree.

What's your experience?
Is an investment on a kitchen renovation a good one if you look to sell not before than 20 years from now?
Well, if you don’t renovate, you are stuck with the same “Old” kitchen for the next 20 years.
I recently did mine. Because it was “My Home” and NOT just an “investment”.

Old 05-08-2018, 05:15 AM

345 posts, read 338,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
Coincidentally, I read an article a few days ago about dated kitchen styles new buyers are spurning. In the aughts, before the crash, fancy Tuscan style kitchens were a thing, and people spent big capturing a provincial style they saw in the movie "Under The Tuscan Sun."

Turns out younger buyers don't like this traditional look and tearing out expensive Tuscan finishings. These are not old kitchens, and if people redid theirs hoping for a resell profit they're taking a loss.
Yup. Moved into our place, dark expensive oak cabinets and that 'under the tuscan sun' color granite top and tacky backsplash. barf. I already ripped the backsplash out and once I finish my 1/2 bath I'm painting the cabinets white and hopefully the top works because I don't want to get rid of a nice piece of stone.

Old 05-08-2018, 08:54 AM

18 posts, read 20,160 times
We are thinking about doing the kitchen too. We did oil to gas and relocated the boiler to the back of garage 2 yrs ago.
To renovate our kitchen we will have to re-do the front siding in order to remove a huge bay window to make room for more counter space....i guess mine would be more than $50K...

Old 05-08-2018, 02:31 PM

245 posts, read 319,616 times
$50k is a lot of money.

1) Paint the cabinets white ($100 dollars worth of paint)
2) Depending on the look of your cabinets, you can give them texture by adding trim to it to give it texture $50) Example here: https://cherishedbliss.com/kitchen-h...tyle-cabinets/
3) Of course, all new knobs and pulls ($100)
4) New fridge, stove and dishwasher can be had for under $3,000
5) Call up a company like Empire for new floors - likely under $2,000 for your size
6) Paint the walls and ceilings yourself

Of course this leaves the counters and backsplash.

Regardless, what I'm trying to say is there are ways you can bring an old kitchen to life for cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island