U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2018, 06:36 AM

1 posts, read 479 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I just moved to North Massapequa. I commute to manhattan on the LIRR every day and have a question about the Parking situation. The Seaford and Massapequa stations are the exact same distance from my new house but Id much rather commute using the seaford station. Will I still be able to buy a permit even though Im a masapequa resident?

Any info will help.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2018, 07:15 AM

2 posts, read 3,262 times
Just use Massapequa, by the time the train rolls to Seaford its already crowded since its the last stop before Penn. At least you have a chance of getting a seat if you get on in Massapequa if you are fast enough.

Old 05-07-2018, 08:27 AM

8,141 posts, read 12,506,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisav613 View Post
Hello!

I just moved to North Massapequa. I commute to manhattan on the LIRR every day and have a question about the Parking situation. The Seaford and Massapequa stations are the exact same distance from my new house but Id much rather commute using the seaford station. Will I still be able to buy a permit even though Im a masapequa resident?

Any info will help.

Thanks!
Prob not. Massapequa is TOB, Seaford is TOH ... TOH is who issues the permits for Seaford, not the county.

Old 05-07-2018, 07:23 PM

87 posts, read 82,952 times
Sorry, but the Seaford parking lots are limited to Town of Hempstead residents, who can purchase a sticker for $10 a year (April 1- March 31) through the town clerk in Hempstead.
---
Part of the situation demonstrates to me how divisive and "un-American" the parking sticker deal is, and I would say almost everywhere in our country . Maybe twenty years ago, the State of New York added to the west end of Seaford parking. For years, those were spaces where anyone could park. The lot was built with state (not town) money, and the lighting was installed (I believe) with state money. About 2016, the supervisor of the Town of Hempstead, Anthony Santino, declared that the entire lot was under town maintenance and installed signs requiring stickers from 6 a.m. to 1 p.m. Monday-to-Friday.
---
On any weekday there are at least a hundred empty spaces. Geography is the cause. Seaford station is the easternmost station in the Town of Hempstead. The town boundary is a mere hundred yards east of the station! Probably some Wantagh residents use the lot, as they live in the Town of Hempstead, but Massapequa residents cannot buy the sticker. People from Merrick and Bellmore are not going to drive east to Seaford to board a train west to Manhattan.
---
One gracious aspect is that the permit is not needed after 1 p.m. nor on weekends. When I travel through the river towns of Westchester County, I find that non-residents may not park at the Hudson Division Metro-North stations any day, any time. The sign "Residents only," in parking, parks, or any public area runs contrary to our nationhood.

Old 05-08-2018, 10:09 AM

212 posts, read 259,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe63 View Post
Sorry, but the Seaford parking lots are limited to Town of Hempstead residents, who can purchase a sticker for $10 a year (April 1- March 31) through the town clerk in Hempstead.
---
Part of the situation demonstrates to me how divisive and "un-American" the parking sticker deal is, and I would say almost everywhere in our country . Maybe twenty years ago, the State of New York added to the west end of Seaford parking. For years, those were spaces where anyone could park. The lot was built with state (not town) money, and the lighting was installed (I believe) with state money. About 2016, the supervisor of the Town of Hempstead, Anthony Santino, declared that the entire lot was under town maintenance and installed signs requiring stickers from 6 a.m. to 1 p.m. Monday-to-Friday.
---
On any weekday there are at least a hundred empty spaces. Geography is the cause. Seaford station is the easternmost station in the Town of Hempstead. The town boundary is a mere hundred yards east of the station! Probably some Wantagh residents use the lot, as they live in the Town of Hempstead, but Massapequa residents cannot buy the sticker. People from Merrick and Bellmore are not going to drive east to Seaford to board a train west to Manhattan.
---
One gracious aspect is that the permit is not needed after 1 p.m. nor on weekends. When I travel through the river towns of Westchester County, I find that non-residents may not park at the Hudson Division Metro-North stations any day, any time. The sign "Residents only," in parking, parks, or any public area runs contrary to our nationhood.
I remember reading that the funds were Federal funds that built that extension. The field was supposed to be open to all.

It's ridiculous to see 3/4 of the lot empty now. I'm not a TOH resident but, I used to use the lot everyday because it was free. Bought 3 cars and countless meals in the immediate Seaford vicinity while I parked there. Patronized many Seaford businesses.

Just ridiculous
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or