U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2018, 09:05 AM

1,053 posts, read 719,773 times

Advertisements

A friend was telling me about an interesting situation in the Town of Huntington.

Someone in the neighborhood is renting rooms out in their home. It seems like the owner still lives there. It's not that they created separate apartments or entrances. They are just renting out unused rooms to strangers. This includes one or more rooms in the basement. As the rooms get filled, it is starting to create a parking problem. Based on the ads the homeowner has posted online, they are making a nice buck off this idea.

From what we could find a rental permit is not needed in the town if the home is owner occupied. With how strict Huntington usually is on zoning and code issues, it seems odd that running a flophouse in a single family home would be permissible.

Does anyone know if the homeowner is actually playing inside the rules?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2018, 12:26 PM

210 posts, read 124,421 times
Where's the house?

Old 05-07-2018, 02:30 PM

546 posts, read 282,940 times
Is this on your street? Next door? If not mind your own business and let the town handle it. Oh wait...it's Huntington. I forgot. Nevermind.

Old 05-08-2018, 12:16 AM

9,038 posts, read 18,355,935 times
Doesn't sound like the homeowner is playing by the rules.

Old 05-08-2018, 09:56 PM

1,053 posts, read 719,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1174Sixer View Post
Where's the house?
It isn't appropriate to disclose that here. No one is looking to cause anyone else trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChalkItUp View Post
Is this on your street? Next door? If not mind your own business and let the town handle it. Oh wait...it's Huntington. I forgot. Nevermind.
It's close enough to my friend's home that it has become their "business." No one is looking to start trouble. Just trying to find out what the rules are. Maybe my friend wants to get in on the flophouse business themselves. From what these individual rooms are advertised at, it seems pretty lucrative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Doesn't sound like the homeowner is playing by the rules.
That's what we thought. So what are the rules and where can they be found? Town of Huntington website doesn't have anything (at least not that we can find).

The only thing we saw online is that no rental permit is needed when a home is owner-occupied. It just seems odd that a single family home could have 6-8 room rentals, especially without any type of permit. If it were that easy, I would think many more people would do it.

Old 05-09-2018, 01:48 AM

2,009 posts, read 2,229,454 times
Renting rooms can be a very good way for people to make the extra cash they need to be able to even keep their homes on overpriced LI. It is way more common than you think. I personally never liked these types of set ups. Especially non owner occupied ones! Where the owner does not even live in area at all. With those homes used like this. They do not usually care at all about the community. As long as they get their CASH rent payments they are happy.

Cars parked all over the place. Lots of foot traffic. Comings & goings at all hours. Not to mention these homes are many times magnets for drug dealings. But owner occupied I am on the fence about. They are OK if done correctly though. But usually shares & people living close together sharing common space. Almost never ends well for all involved. Especially if people are strangers. Screening needs to be done. Many people searching rooms for rent usually have that as only option. Sort of like maybe couch surfing. And hope no one wants to ask for any ID or any application or screening process at all. That is where problems arise with these "flophouses" as people often call them.

Thought last I heard Huntington was claiming they were cracking down on illegal rentals. But guess it was just a publicity news story maybe? Owner occupied they figure the owner lives there & will generally care more about who they bring into their home. Since they too still will be living there with their family. Unless it is just 1 person that owns & lives in the home. But if you see or feel the home is causing trouble. Like lets say lots of foot traffic at all hours like I mentioned you can report it & ask that they look into it. If anything it can give you peace of mind somewhat. Good luck.

We had a home on our block that many were suspicious of just after Sandy back in 2012. Boy were we all right to be suspicious! No problems really existed before Sandy with these people or the home. But they lost a lot from Sandy & home went into foreclosure. Soon after it hit the news & a teen occupant was arrested for weapons possession & drug dealings. Guess he saw a lucrative business & way to make $$ to save home. Soon after we looked up home online & seems the drug dealing worked for them. Home was no longer in foreclosure. Guess we all are in wrong business!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or