U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-09-2018, 10:37 AM
 
Location: Nassau County
2,676 posts, read 2,497,493 times
Reputation: 1832

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
add:
CVS, Walgreens, radiology, othopaedics, lab this, phys rehab that and _____ Bank.
Lol yep...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-09-2018, 11:02 AM
 
Location: Confines of the 101 Precinct
18,568 posts, read 33,072,622 times
Reputation: 7771
Quote:
Originally Posted by under a mountain View Post
Start ups?


List of Typical LI Start ups.


Sal's Pizza
Town Deli.
Mel's Bagels
Knuckles Tattoo Parlor
Nails by Vivian
Ray's Pawn and Check Cashing
Cucina El Salvador
No vape shops?
__________________
"The man who sleeps on the floor, can never fall out of bed." -Martin Lawrence

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2018, 11:08 AM
 
1,186 posts, read 880,311 times
Reputation: 1339
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
No vape shops?
No Family Dollar, thrift shop, Dollar Tree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2018, 06:00 PM
 
Location: Little Babylon
4,116 posts, read 7,219,564 times
Reputation: 1648
I’m really amazed that on Long Island that not one town became a startup hub. At the very least I would expect a number of incubators or accelerators around Stony Brook or Brookhaven.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2018, 06:59 PM
 
4,808 posts, read 2,708,539 times
Reputation: 4299
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
I’m really amazed that on Long Island that not one town became a startup hub. At the very least I would expect a number of incubators or accelerators around Stony Brook or Brookhaven.
Expensive and Start Up NY has been a dismal failure.

I also just saw that CA is laying off 800. Rumor is they will be out of the Islandia campus by end of the year and also move HQ to Connecticut to better accommodate the execs who live in Greenwich.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2018, 07:23 PM
 
Location: Little Babylon
4,116 posts, read 7,219,564 times
Reputation: 1648
Wow! I remember when they moved there and thought it would be the corner stone of Long Island’s tech sector. I interviewed there when I was think8ng about moving back as there was nothing going on in Richmond regarding tech. Now we’re up to our ears in startups (and breweries, old factories and ware houses turned into cool apartments, restaurants and other things startups look for)

What went wrong with Start Up New York? I know the area is epensive but thought they’d have factored that in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2018, 09:51 PM
 
4,808 posts, read 2,708,539 times
Reputation: 4299
“The doubts crept in, just a year into the life of the tax-break program known as Start-Up New York, with revelations that New York State had spent nearly $50 million to promote a job-creation initiative that in its first year had created all of 76 jobs.

They grew into heavy skepticism last summer, when the state quietly acknowledged in a footnote to a long-delayed report that Start-Up — once the darling of Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo, who promised it would “supercharge” economic development — had produced just 408 jobs in its first two years, even as its marketing price tag rose past $53 million.”

$130K per job, plus tax benefits galore. Requirement to be located in special tax free zones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2018, 10:40 PM
 
Location: Charlotte Metro Area
2,132 posts, read 3,237,659 times
Reputation: 1622
Gone are the days when Grumman employed 28,000 people on the island and all the small businesses that went along with that. I also see Altice (Cablevision) missing from this list, even without Newsday, which at one time also had over 1,000 people in the Melville building itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2018, 05:50 AM
 
Location: Nassau County
2,676 posts, read 2,497,493 times
Reputation: 1832
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Expensive and Start Up NY has been a dismal failure.

I also just saw that CA is laying off 800. Rumor is they will be out of the Islandia campus by end of the year and also move HQ to Connecticut to better accommodate the execs who live in Greenwich.
There’s more to the story though, the 800 is through the company not just LI, they said they want to close small offices and they want to them hire 600 new employees with different skill sets. Who knows what effect there will be on Islandia if any.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2018, 06:01 AM
 
Location: Little Babylon
4,116 posts, read 7,219,564 times
Reputation: 1648
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
“The doubts crept in, just a year into the life of the tax-break program known as Start-Up New York, with revelations that New York State had spent nearly $50 million to promote a job-creation initiative that in its first year had created all of 76 jobs.

They grew into heavy skepticism last summer, when the state quietly acknowledged in a footnote to a long-delayed report that Start-Up — once the darling of Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo, who promised it would “supercharge” economic development — had produced just 408 jobs in its first two years, even as its marketing price tag rose past $53 million.”

$130K per job, plus tax benefits galore. Requirement to be located in special tax free zones.
I’m stunned. I’m going to guess that the next initiative will be high speed rail to move the people from further out on the Island to where the jobs are in NYC and beyond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top