U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2018, 05:44 AM

1,378 posts, read 1,007,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Whaaaa

Do you know how many schools closed in the Archdiocese of Brooklyn?

They're on an IV rite now

U clinging to a dream man....

I guess u wanna pay 40K tax

I miss that Martin guy from a lil while back. Was his name martin?
Itís not that people want to pay 40k in taxes. Thatís just silly. Why are you having a hard time with the fact that a working family with a healthy income makes out much better on LI than NYC? Income tax and property tax ( for those who own a decent home in a decent area) are most of the time more than LI taxes. Thatís just the financial advantage of LI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2018, 09:17 AM

2,673 posts, read 2,495,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
We're not talking about NYC income tax vs. LI tax

I'm asking for detail in what the LI school experience offers so that I can try to get some understanding on why people think its so much better. I'm still waiting on a response. I'll just go start a new thread as to not derail this one.
I’m not going to get into a tit for tat with you but other than the prized “specialized” schools in NYC that have to be applied for, if you really think most of the inner city typical NYC schools are comparable with schools in LI or westchester, then you are out of your mind. Seriously LMAO. As a whole overall (not cherry picking prized schools like Stuyvesant or Jericho) there isn’t any comparison.

And im far from one of those people that think LI schools are all the “best” I even think they are overrated.

Last edited by peconic117; 05-12-2018 at 09:35 AM..

Old 05-12-2018, 09:51 AM

13,965 posts, read 7,522,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by under a mountain View Post
So the State, Nassau and Suffolk counties and the Feds are all in the top ten. I find that sad and pathetic.
It is sad. It is because it is a high cost, high tax, high regulatory area. I remember when Grumman was there. The runways at Bethpage, Calverton are still there, but the company isn't.

Old 05-12-2018, 10:50 AM

4,803 posts, read 2,704,238 times
90% of LI companies have less than 20 people. The days of large companies having a major footprint on LI are gone.

Old 05-12-2018, 12:41 PM

20,454 posts, read 22,009,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
I’m not going to get into a tit for tat with you but other than the prized “specialized” schools in NYC that have to be applied for, if you really think most of the inner city typical NYC schools are comparable with schools in LI or westchester, then you are out of your mind. Seriously LMAO. As a whole overall (not cherry picking prized schools like Stuyvesant or Jericho) there isn’t any comparison.

And im far from one of those people that think LI schools are all the “best” I even think they are overrated.
Funny enough, the top school NY school on that list isn't one of the specialized magnet schools. It's still competitive to get in though because there are only so many seats. Number 6, 7, 12 and 13 on that list are also not one of the specialized NYC high schools. NYC public schools including the specialized schools take the spots in New York state from 1 to 13; Long Island shows up on the list at 16 with Jericho.

I think the more probable statement might be that the average public high school on Long Island has more successful graduates than the average public high school in New York City. At the higher ends, the city public high school graduates probably trounce Long Island public high school graduates, and when comparing the worst public high schools for both, the city probably does notably worse.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 05-12-2018 at 12:53 PM..

Old 05-12-2018, 02:41 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,007,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Funny enough, the top school NY school on that list isn't one of the specialized magnet schools. It's still competitive to get in though because there are only so many seats. Number 6, 7, 12 and 13 on that list are also not one of the specialized NYC high schools. NYC public schools including the specialized schools take the spots in New York state from 1 to 13; Long Island shows up on the list at 16 with Jericho.

I think the more probable statement might be that the average public high school on Long Island has more successful graduates than the average public high school in New York City. At the higher ends, the city public high school graduates probably trounce Long Island public high school graduates, and when comparing the worst public high schools for both, the city probably does notably worse.
Great points. Those magnet schools are not for elementary students though, correct? Long islanders are allowed to apply as well. There was just recently a Massapeaqua student, who went to private school on Long Island, attend Regis.

On LI one can know their future place of education. NYC doesnít really have that luxury.

Old 05-12-2018, 11:23 PM

6,160 posts, read 3,380,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
It is sad. It is because it is a high cost, high tax, high regulatory area. I remember when Grumman was there. The runways at Bethpage, Calverton are still there, but the company isn't.
There may still be runways in Calverton but those in Bethpage are long gone, to the dismay of a certain air traffic controller who a couple of years ago, believing as you did, directed a pilot with an engine failure to Bethpage where he fatally crashed on the only semi-open piece of land - the LIRR tracks.

Old 05-13-2018, 12:29 AM

20,454 posts, read 22,009,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
Great points. Those magnet schools are not for elementary students though, correct? Long islanders are allowed to apply as well. There was just recently a Massapeaqua student, who went to private school on Long Island, attend Regis.

On LI one can know their future place of education. NYC doesn’t really have that luxury.
Some reach into earlier grades, but there were non-magnet schools that ranked well as I've pointed out. There isn't as much of a ranking system for elementary schools, though my guess would be that roughly what was said for public high schools likely holds for public elementary and grade schools.

Long Islanders aren't allowed to apply to those NYC public schools I mentioned unless you're doing something you're not supposed to or before applying you move from Long Island and into the city. If you're going to throw in private schools into the mix, then the top brackets sway significantly heavier towards NYC than they already do now.

Regis is a private school--that's a whole other animal. Regis also has part of that success stemming from the students already coming from a decently well connected family.

Of course, this is just talking about things now. The relative positions of schools in the city and schools in Long Island may have been significantly different in the past and will likely be different in the future.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 05-13-2018 at 12:48 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or