U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2018, 07:31 PM

1,418 posts, read 2,233,395 times

Advertisements

Altice is all wireless. It's way ahead of fios now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2018, 08:10 PM

431 posts, read 716,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz Crazy View Post
Why not get a VCR?

What's a VCR?

Old 06-01-2018, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crv1010 View Post
What's a VCR?
Something that used when teevoo was popular.

Old 06-04-2018, 02:56 PM
exm

1,871 posts, read 592,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz Crazy View Post
Why not get a VCR?

You must be uninformed about what Tivo is offering these days.

Old 06-04-2018, 03:09 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,979,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
You must be uninformed about what Tivo is offering these days.
Taz is so far up optimum's a$$, he hasn't really seen the future. Lol.

Old 06-05-2018, 06:04 PM

I don't have cable TV anymore. I have a rasberry pi. You my friend should get with the future.

Old 01-08-2019, 10:19 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,004,405 times
Ok guys, my contract with Fios will be up at the end of the month and I'm considering going with Optimum. Here's the package I have with Fios. 50/50 internet, phone and Prime TV with free Showtime (grandfathered package). I have 1 DVR and 3 boxes. Currently I'm paying around $150. Fios offered me another 2 year contract for about 5 dollars more which will come around to about $157ish. I already spoke to 2 agents and they both said this was the best offer they could give me.
I called Optimum and I got a similar deal with them which includes 200mb internet and similar TV channels which they guaranteed for 3 years for about $10 less. And their offering a $100 Amex gift card. I know Optimum is not as good as Fios but I'm looking to save a few bucks here. I'm thinking about calling Verizon to let them know I'm thinking of switching.

I rather stay with Fios but don't want to pay any more for their service than what I'm already paying. What's the best way to get them to give me what I want without calling out my bluff? Chances are I might just stay with them but I need some tips by some of your savvy veterans.

Old 01-08-2019, 10:54 AM

124 posts, read 32,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
Ok guys, my contract with Fios will be up at the end of the month and I'm considering going with Optimum. Here's the package I have with Fios. 50/50 internet, phone and Prime TV with free Showtime (grandfathered package). I have 1 DVR and 3 boxes. Currently I'm paying around $150. Fios offered me another 2 year contract for about 5 dollars more which will come around to about $157ish. I already spoke to 2 agents and they both said this was the best offer they could give me.
I called Optimum and I got a similar deal with them which includes 200mb internet and similar TV channels which they guaranteed for 3 years for about $10 less. And their offering a $100 Amex gift card. I know Optimum is not as good as Fios but I'm looking to save a few bucks here. I'm thinking about calling Verizon to let them know I'm thinking of switching.

I rather stay with Fios but don't want to pay any more for their service than what I'm already paying. What's the best way to get them to give me what I want without calling out my bluff? Chances are I might just stay with them but I need some tips by some of your savvy veterans.
I'll tell you my experience - it's a roll of the dice but probably worth it...

Don't renew. Let your contract lapse, and pay one month of your new "month to month" rate. THEN you call the loyalty dept or retention dept or whatever they call themselves...they won't tell you this, but they have much more flexibility to work with you when you don't have a contract, even if you are a current customer. I found this out by accident, and it worked for me for three cycles (6 years) - my price actually went DOWN (very slightly) each contract....the last go round they finally got me, but that was because I switched to Quantum mid-contract as opposed to timing it right.

Those folks you're dealing with work on commission, and the good ones will try to do as much as they can under the radar just to close a deal...their hands are tied when you call them with an existing contract.

Old 01-08-2019, 02:22 PM
exm

1,871 posts, read 592,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post

You can do better, especially with internet. Besides what 'The Big Kahuna' recommended (worth a shot), you can switch to Optimum and switch back to FIOS in a few months. Sometimes Optimum gives you a gift card making you wait a bit longer. Sure, it's a bit of a hassle and you'll lose your recordings but it will save you money. Your next FIOS hook-up will be Gigabit.

If you can afford it, I highly recommend getting TIVO. If you invest in TIVO lifetime with 2 Minis (basically cable boxes) you'll need to spend about $1,000 upfront but:
- In app 2.5 years you'll break-even with having to pay a provider for cable boxes and DVR service
- You can switch providers and keep your recordings

Something to think about. I did this 3 years back and my FIOS triple pay bill (FIOS Gigabit, Preferred TV, phone and 1 cable card for my TIVO) is $116 including all taxes.

Old 01-08-2019, 03:54 PM

1,601 posts, read 2,004,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Kahuna View Post
I'll tell you my experience - it's a roll of the dice but probably worth it...

Don't renew. Let your contract lapse, and pay one month of your new "month to month" rate. THEN you call the loyalty dept or retention dept or whatever they call themselves...they won't tell you this, but they have much more flexibility to work with you when you don't have a contract, even if you are a current customer. I found this out by accident, and it worked for me for three cycles (6 years) - my price actually went DOWN (very slightly) each contract....the last go round they finally got me, but that was because I switched to Quantum mid-contract as opposed to timing it right.

Those folks you're dealing with work on commission, and the good ones will try to do as much as they can under the radar just to close a deal...their hands are tied when you call them with an existing contract.
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
You can do better, especially with internet. Besides what 'The Big Kahuna' recommended (worth a shot), you can switch to Optimum and switch back to FIOS in a few months. Sometimes Optimum gives you a gift card making you wait a bit longer. Sure, it's a bit of a hassle and you'll lose your recordings but it will save you money. Your next FIOS hook-up will be Gigabit.

If you can afford it, I highly recommend getting TIVO. If you invest in TIVO lifetime with 2 Minis (basically cable boxes) you'll need to spend about $1,000 upfront but:
- In app 2.5 years you'll break-even with having to pay a provider for cable boxes and DVR service
- You can switch providers and keep your recordings

Something to think about. I did this 3 years back and my FIOS triple pay bill (FIOS Gigabit, Preferred TV, phone and 1 cable card for my TIVO) is $116 including all taxes.
Thank you both for your inputs. I gave you both rep points. Enjoy yourselves!

Tivo might be out of the question as the up front costs are out of my budget. I might go with optimum for a few months to see how it goes if fios doesn't work with me then switch back later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island