U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 04:35 PM

124 posts, read 33,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
Thank you both for your inputs. I gave you both rep points. Enjoy yourselves!

Tivo might be out of the question as the up front costs are out of my budget. I might go with optimum for a few months to see how it goes if fios doesn't work with me then switch back later.
You can save about $25/month if you spend a little up front...Get Roku's for the other two TVs...you can stream most of the channels you subscribe to for free and just pay for one box. You can get the sticks for $50 each. I think it’s about $10/mo for each box, about $25 with taxes - these pay for themselves in 4 months.

Last edited by The Big Kahuna; 01-08-2019 at 05:00 PM.. Reason: Additional info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2019, 09:39 AM

1,602 posts, read 2,005,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Kahuna View Post
You can save about $25/month if you spend a little up front...Get Roku's for the other two TVs...you can stream most of the channels you subscribe to for free and just pay for one box. You can get the sticks for $50 each. I think itís about $10/mo for each box, about $25 with taxes - these pay for themselves in 4 months.
The one big thing about getting these roku's, FireTV sticks, Tivo's etc are that you lose on-demand and PPV which we use regularly. My wife will not want to give those up and start learning how to use a new system. I'd be happy to start using these cost cutting features but it won't go well with everyone else.

Old 01-09-2019, 09:50 AM

Quote:
The one big thing about getting these roku's, FireTV sticks, Tivo's etc are that you lose on-demand and PPV which we use regularly. My wife will not want to give those up and start learning how to use a new system. I'd be happy to start using these cost cutting features but it won't go well with everyone else.
Not sure who told you that? Not only do you not lose on demand, you actually have more content on most if not all channels. I feel like itís actually an upgrade over paying your provider for an additional box. You gain way more than you lose.

Old 01-09-2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Not sure who told you that? Not only do you not lose on demand, you actually have more content on most if not all channels. I feel like itís actually an upgrade over paying your provider for an additional box. You gain way more than you lose.

Are you sure about that? How would you access the on demand features of Fios without one of their boxes?

Old 01-09-2019, 10:17 AM

2,728 posts, read 2,564,956 times
Quote:
Are you sure about that? How would you access the on demand features of Fios without one of their boxes?
Almost every single channel has its own app now. Say you like some show on fox that you use on demand for, all you simply do is download the app on (roku, fire stick, apple tv you name it) the first time you use it you will select fios as your provider and login once then you will have access to all the on demand stuff in the FOXNOW app as you would using on demand through a fios box. Kahuna is right that you can save money on box rental fees by simply using a cheap streaming device.

Old 01-09-2019, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Almost every single channel has its own app now. Say you like some show on fox that you use on demand for, all you simply do is download the app on (roku, fire stick, apple tv you name it) the first time you use it you will select fios as your provider and login once then you will have access to all the on demand stuff in the FOXNOW app as you would using on demand through a fios box. Kahuna is right that you can save money on box rental fees by simply using a cheap streaming device.
Hmmmm... That's good to know. I gotta take a look at roku and maybe test it out on one of my TV's. Is there a similar app for the Firestick?

Old 01-09-2019, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Hmmmm... That's good to know. I gotta take a look at roku and maybe test it out on one of my TV's. Is there a similar app for the Firestick?
Yes, Peconic is correct. Any channel that you subscribe to, I'd say 80% of them have their own app...you get the app in Roku, and sign in using your provider's credentials. As long as you are subscribed to that channel, you will be able to stream it free. Two things I notice here in NC (I have DirecTV with the dish on my house) - the stream's picture quality is just as good if not better (assume a good internet connection) and the content is way more on the app than the actual channel via satellite. So I have about 200 movies available on Starz On Demand via DirecTV, but the app in Roku has 600 movies....same goes for TBS and some of the other broadcast channels like NatGeo/Nick/TNT.....way more shows and episodes to choose from on the app...even if you're OK paying for FiOS/Cable/whatever, the Roku's are a nice supplement to them....I find myself using it more than the dish itself...(AND if my dish goes down, as long as my internet is up, I still have TV).

Old 01-09-2019, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Yes, Peconic is correct. Any channel that you subscribe to, I'd say 80% of them have their own app...you get the app in Roku, and sign in using your provider's credentials. As long as you are subscribed to that channel, you will be able to stream it free. Two things I notice here in NC (I have DirecTV with the dish on my house) - the stream's picture quality is just as good if not better (assume a good internet connection) and the content is way more on the app than the actual channel via satellite. So I have about 200 movies available on Starz On Demand via DirecTV, but the app in Roku has 600 movies....same goes for TBS and some of the other broadcast channels like NatGeo/Nick/TNT.....way more shows and episodes to choose from on the app...even if you're OK paying for FiOS/Cable/whatever, the Roku's are a nice supplement to them....I find myself using it more than the dish itself...(AND if my dish goes down, as long as my internet is up, I still have TV).
Also wanted to add to this - another option is Amazon Prime. It's $120/year so basically 10 bucks a month. I shop a ton at Amazon, so the free 2 day shipping alone is worth it to me. Prime also gives you access to thousands of free movies and shows, and if there's a new (or old, for that matter) movie out that you want to rent or buy, you can do it through them instead of your provider. This is big for me...I had FiOS up north and it isn't available here...so I lost over 100 movies that I paid for. I still have access to them online, but their platform does not stream to a TV (quite intentionally which is why I hate them). I'm pointing this out so you can see that you don't need FiOS or cable to rent/buy new release movies. The prices are the same on Amazon as they are on cable/FiOS. The access to your movies is much better and easier....as to my knowledge, FiOS still doesn't have a streaming app that works on a TV set...again this is huge if you should move to an area that your current provider doesn't service. The internet is everywhere.

I even travel with my Roku on long trips...if the hotel has a good enough connection, voila...

Old 01-09-2019, 04:32 PM

5,060 posts, read 2,853,242 times
Quote:
Also wanted to add to this - another option is Amazon Prime. It's $120/year so basically 10 bucks a month. I shop a ton at Amazon, so the free 2 day shipping alone is worth it to me. Prime also gives you access to thousands of free movies and shows, and if there's a new (or old, for that matter) movie out that you want to rent or buy, you can do it through them instead of your provider. This is big for me...I had FiOS up north and it isn't available here...so I lost over 100 movies that I paid for. I still have access to them online, but their platform does not stream to a TV (quite intentionally which is why I hate them). I'm pointing this out so you can see that you don't need FiOS or cable to rent/buy new release movies. The prices are the same on Amazon as they are on cable/FiOS. The access to your movies is much better and easier....as to my knowledge, FiOS still doesn't have a streaming app that works on a TV set...again this is huge if you should move to an area that your current provider doesn't service. The internet is everywhere.

I even travel with my Roku on long trips...if the hotel has a good enough connection, voila...
I thought there was an Apple TV FiOS app.

Old 01-09-2019, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
I thought there was an Apple TV FiOS app.
I have heard that it sucks if it even works at all (on a TV)...they have app for iPhone/iPad, even that is glitchy....but I can't get their actual content to load on a TV set. I think they have an apple streaming device for subscribers, but not an app for someone like me who is off their service but still wants to stream what I own on an actual TV screen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island