U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 05:58 PM

9,937 posts, read 11,574,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
I pay the same for FIOS triple play with Gigabit compared to standalone Gigabit?
I have no idea what that means.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2019, 06:03 PM

5,113 posts, read 2,866,381 times
Quote:
There's plenty of Mesh systems out there as a FYI. Linksys Velop, Netgear Orbi and Google Wifi Mesh are some of the bigger players.

Basically what you're doing is this:
- Disable WiFi in your FIOS router (I assume you have the G1100 Quantum). Leave DHCP on.
- Connect a Velop to the Fios ethernet port

- I have my Velop's set to Bridge Mode (so they are basically repeaters)

The questions are:
- How many mesh units do you need? This depend on the size of your house/apt. Rule of thumb is one per floor.

- The mesh units can connect to each other wireless or using ethernet. Ethernet (especially gigabit) will yield better results but you'll need ethernet cables for this.

Most mesh units have ethernet ports, so you can actually connect any device using ethernet directly to a mesh unit in case this device doesn't have wifi (for example, the Tivo Mini's only have ethernet).

Hope this helps. Google 'mesh network' for more information.

Here's a good overview: https://www.pcmag.com/roundup/350795...etwork-systems
Good advice.

Where I live now I have AT&T Fiber, and have put their modem into passthrough mode. I then use an older PC as a router running Untangle (so I can set up specific filtering and usage policies for my kids). That provides DHCP. I then have several Eero base stations throughout my house connected to the router via Ethernet, all in access point/bridge mode.

I also tried Orbi but ran into a lot of issues. Eero has been flawless for me.

Old 01-24-2019, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
It means they are gaming the system by providing TV, phone and internet for the same price as internet only.

Old 01-24-2019, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
It means they are gaming the system by providing TV, phone and internet for the same price as internet only.
All the quotes I got it was still cheaper for internet only, but the "best value" is the bundle.
Whatever. We're seriously considering not even having internet when we move.
Flip phones only.
Can't truly be "off grid" with internet.
I guess any communication isn't truly off grid, but we would at least have cell phones for family communication and emergency use. Like a bear attack or lightening strike.

Old 01-24-2019, 07:52 PM
exm

1,890 posts, read 596,422 times
Quote:

FIOS internet (gigabit)=$79
FIOS triple play (gigabit/phone/cable)=$79

Old 01-24-2019, 08:30 PM

Quote:
FIOS internet (gigabit)=$79
FIOS triple play (gigabit/phone/cable)=$79
Misleading. That's bare bones minimum.
The tv package is nearly useless for the average family.
But, It is best "value" because you get all 3.

Old 01-24-2019, 09:00 PM

1,603 posts, read 2,008,210 times
Quote:
All the quotes I got it was still cheaper for internet only, but the "best value" is the bundle.
Whatever. We're seriously considering not even having internet when we move.
Flip phones only.
Can't truly be "off grid" with internet.
I guess any communication isn't truly off grid, but we would at least have cell phones for family communication and emergency use. Like a bear attack or lightening strike.

How are you going to respond to these threads if you don't have internet?

Old 01-25-2019, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Misleading. That's bare bones minimum.
The tv package is nearly useless for the average family.
But, It is best "value" because you get all 3.
Actually itís not useless. You will get the local channels, and then for $20 a month you can get Philo, or around the same get one of the Sling channels. You donít even have to use the cable box, just use the app if you have a streaming device.

I pay around $150 a month which gives me unlimited gigabit up/down and Directv Nowís highest end package with HBO added. No rental fees, no egregious taxes. Can watch at home or when traveling.

And if another streaming provider comes along with a better deal or package I can switch anytime. No hardware or installation changes.

Old 01-25-2019, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
How are you going to respond to these threads if you don't have internet?
I know you'll miss me when I'm gone.

Old 01-25-2019, 07:56 AM

1,013 posts, read 543,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Actually itís not useless. You will get the local channels, and then for $20 a month you can get Philo, or around the same get one of the Sling channels. You donít even have to use the cable box, just use the app if you have a streaming device.

I pay around $150 a month which gives me unlimited gigabit up/down and Directv Nowís highest end package with HBO added. No rental fees, no egregious taxes. Can watch at home or when traveling.

And if another streaming provider comes along with a better deal or package I can switch anytime. No hardware or installation changes.
This is exactly my plan. I pay $190 now for cable and they offer me so many promos it's insane, but still not cheap. They are giving me 300mbps up/down with this Altice digital crap and I'm lucky if i get 60/30. When the promos are up in April, I bet my bill goes up $100/mo until I have the retention/cancellation haggle pow wow to get prices back down.

I feel like FIOS gigabit, w DirectTVNow gets me every channel the family likes (including access to MSG Go which is a deal maker for me), plus HBO for G.O.T. for about $125 before taxes, etc.

Next step is upgrade an older TV or two and then grab a few Fire Sticks (added benefit of Kodi).

Now I can agonize about the network, "mesh", etc. thanks to the (too much) interesting info in this thread!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island