U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 08:56 AM

4,162 posts, read 6,834,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post

I feel like FIOS gigabit, w DirectTVNow gets me every channel the family likes (including access to MSG Go which is a deal maker for me), plus HBO for G.O.T. for about $125 before taxes, etc.
do you know if you can you get YES Network on DirectTVNow? I don't see it on their web site...but I could be missing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2019, 09:02 AM

1,080 posts, read 766,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
I pay around $150 a month which gives me unlimited gigabit up/down and Directv Now’s highest end package with HBO added. No rental fees, no egregious taxes. Can watch at home or when traveling.

That's a good deal. I just went round and round with Verizon to get my bill lowered.

How many boxes do you have? What about DVR?

We have quite a few boxes, which made it difficult to get the monthly cost down. Ironically, the way they brought the cost down to where I needed it was to ADD another box that I don't need. The pricing schemes are absurd.

Old 01-25-2019, 09:48 AM
exm

1,890 posts, read 596,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Misleading. That's bare bones minimum.
The tv package is nearly useless for the average family.
But, It is best "value" because you get all 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe461 View Post
That's a good deal. I just went round and round with Verizon to get my bill lowered.

How many boxes do you have? What about DVR?

We have quite a few boxes, which made it difficult to get the monthly cost down. Ironically, the way they brought the cost down to where I needed it was to ADD another box that I don't need. The pricing schemes are absurd.

I am paying $116/mo for Verizon FIOS Gigabit, Preferred Package (which is pretty good) and phone. This is INCLUDING taxes. Now ask me how streaming would be cheaper if I pay $80/mo, plus taxes, plus streaming fees?

How am I getting this so cheap? Tivo Lifetime DVR + Tivo Mini cable boxes. It's a large upfront investment, but it means:
- Never another cable box or DVR fee. You only pay $5/mo to rent a cable card
- You can switch provides back and forth without losing recordings

You're looking at app $600-$700 for the Tivo DVR and $150 for each mini cable box. It took me app 2.5 years to break-even (summer 2018) and now I'm reaping the benefits. Plus the Tivo interface is far superior to the DVRs from cable companies. Tivo also allow you to stream recording or live television on mobile devices using their app.

Old 01-25-2019, 10:54 AM

229 posts, read 276,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
do you know if you can you get YES Network on DirectTVNow? I don't see it on their web site...but I could be missing it.
You indeed do get YES Network. You also get SNY (Mets) and MSG (knicks and rangers).

There should be a place on the DirectvNow site that you can enter your zip code and see what local channels and which local sports channels are available in your area.

The package you select will also determine if you will get the Local sports channels.

One other note, we gave DirectvNow a try for about a month and hated it. The service was glitchy and poor. This was over a year ago but, I went back to cable.

They offer a free 5 day trial I believe. Try it out.

Old 01-25-2019, 12:10 PM
exm

Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
I am paying $116/mo for Verizon FIOS Gigabit, Preferred Package (which is pretty good) and phone. This is INCLUDING taxes. Now ask me how streaming would be cheaper if I pay $80/mo, plus taxes, plus streaming fees?

How am I getting this so cheap? Tivo Lifetime DVR + Tivo Mini cable boxes. It's a large upfront investment, but it means:

You're looking at app $600-$700 for the Tivo DVR and $150 for each mini cable box. It took me app 2.5 years to break-even (summer 2018) and now I'm reaping the benefits. Plus the Tivo interface is far superior to the DVRs from cable companies. Tivo also allow you to stream recording or live television on mobile devices using their app.

As a FYI: I am using the Main DVR cable box and 2 Mini DVR cable boxes. So 3 in total. But with the Minis ($150 each) you can have up to 5 since the Tivo has 6 tuners and each Mini uses a tuner.

Old 01-25-2019, 12:42 PM

1,080 posts, read 766,967 times
Quote:

Okay, that makes sense. The Tivo option certainly brings down the monthly expense.

The $5/m cable card... that's in addition to the $116 Verizon cost, correct?

I'm getting around the same currently. I went with the "Custom" TV package (a step below "Preferred" but still more channels than we need) and dropped the phone. With GB internet, that puts me lower than the $116 total. However, I now have SIX cable boxes in the house. Not all are in use, but it was the sixth box that "qualified" me for the price I am getting. 5 or less boxes would have cost me more.

The STB are $7/month on my bill
The DVR is $12/month.

Replacing a STB ($7) with cable card ($5) is a $2 difference. At $150 for the tivo box, it would take me 75 months (>6 years) to break even.

The DVR @$12 would be a >4 year break even on a $600 Tivo DVR.

Both of those break-evens assume that my monthly rate wouldn't change by eliminating the boxes. Again, the only way I got the rate I did was to get more boxes. Keeping the same boxes or reducing the number raised my monthly cost by $50.

One advantage of a "rental" box is that you don't own it. Something breaks and they send you a new one. Your Tivo breaks after a year or two and that's your problem.

I see the advantages of Tivo, but I don't think it makes sense for my situation.

In going through my recent change, I also explored CV and their options. For the same package, CV ends up being a few dollars (around $5) less. That's CV "new customer" pricing vs FIOS "new customer" pricing. Much harder to get that pricing from either if you are an existing customer.

FIOS does have "gigbit" internet. My speedtests show I sometimes get close to the advertised speed. Most times I am getting around 300/300.

By comparison, CVs similar pricing is based on 300 download 35 upload. That's a big difference in numbers. However, most people have no need for "gigabit" speeds (which end up being close to CVs advertised speed anyway). If you work from home and need to regularly upload large files, Fios may be a better choice.

Old 01-25-2019, 01:02 PM

69 posts, read 66,417 times
Can you change your Optimum service somewhere online, or do I have to call these people? I want to cut the package down to just internet, and then grab Hulu TV. Hoping it brings my $170 I'm paying now down to $110 with the 300mbps.

Old 01-25-2019, 01:19 PM
exm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe461 View Post
Okay, that makes sense. The Tivo option certainly brings down the monthly expense.

The $5/m cable card... that's in addition to the $116 Verizon cost, correct?

I'm getting around the same currently. I went with the "Custom" TV package (a step below "Preferred" but still more channels than we need) and dropped the phone. With GB internet, that puts me lower than the $116 total. However, I now have SIX cable boxes in the house. Not all are in use, but it was the sixth box that "qualified" me for the price I am getting. 5 or less boxes would have cost me more.

The STB are $7/month on my bill
The DVR is $12/month.

Replacing a STB ($7) with cable card ($5) is a $2 difference. At $150 for the tivo box, it would take me 75 months (>6 years) to break even.

The DVR @$12 would be a >4 year break even on a $600 Tivo DVR.

Both of those break-evens assume that my monthly rate wouldn't change by eliminating the boxes. Again, the only way I got the rate I did was to get more boxes. Keeping the same boxes or reducing the number raised my monthly cost by $50.

One advantage of a "rental" box is that you don't own it. Something breaks and they send you a new one. Your Tivo breaks after a year or two and that's your problem.

I see the advantages of Tivo, but I don't think it makes sense for my situation.

In going through my recent change, I also explored CV and their options. For the same package, CV ends up being a few dollars (around $5) less. That's CV "new customer" pricing vs FIOS "new customer" pricing. Much harder to get that pricing from either if you are an existing customer.

FIOS does have "gigbit" internet. My speedtests show I sometimes get close to the advertised speed. Most times I am getting around 300/300.

By comparison, CVs similar pricing is based on 300 download 35 upload. That's a big difference in numbers. However, most people have no need for "gigabit" speeds (which end up being close to CVs advertised speed anyway). If you work from home and need to regularly upload large files, Fios may be a better choice.

The $116 includes the cable card.

So you have/need 5 boxes. How much are you paying monthly in total for those, plus DVR service (I got a bit confused with your numbers).

As far as Gigabit is concerned: using Gigabit cable you should be getting close. With AC Wifi the 300/300 makes sense.

Old 01-25-2019, 03:06 PM

5,113 posts, read 2,866,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossman140 View Post
You indeed do get YES Network. You also get SNY (Mets) and MSG (knicks and rangers).

There should be a place on the DirectvNow site that you can enter your zip code and see what local channels and which local sports channels are available in your area.

The package you select will also determine if you will get the Local sports channels.

One other note, we gave DirectvNow a try for about a month and hated it. The service was glitchy and poor. This was over a year ago but, I went back to cable.

They offer a free 5 day trial I believe. Try it out.
It's gotten better. I did a test a year ago as well and didn't go forward, and then tried it again 2 months ago (when they had the free Apple TV 4K offer when you prepaid for 3 months) and have stuck with it. The fact that they support a 3rd stream now means they feel they can deliver it.

Old 01-25-2019, 03:07 PM

5,113 posts, read 2,866,381 times
Quote:
The $116 includes the cable card.

So you have/need 5 boxes. How much are you paying monthly in total for those, plus DVR service (I got a bit confused with your numbers).

As far as Gigabit is concerned: using Gigabit cable you should be getting close. With AC Wifi the 300/300 makes sense.
Gigabit cable is probably around 950 down, 30 up. They need to bond most of the channels for downstream.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island