Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2018, 04:44 PM

44 posts, read 34,570 times

Advertisements

Optimum?! JUST Don't .... DONT!!! See my other posts, if you want to know details.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2018, 08:05 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,875,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longislanddude View Post
Another option that works pretty well for me in the city is having Verizon fios for 40 bucks a month + tax which gives you 100/100 internet speeds + reliability, and combine that with a streaming provider such as DirectTVNow ($35 all in) or Sling. I get all the channels I want (TBS, TNT, Discovery, etc) without having to rent 12 dollar archaic boxes and $35 in fees on top of the "79.99" deal. Another plus is that these streaming providers work on your phone, computer, etc. My bill was about 125 / month with the custom channel packs through Verizon (about a third of that was fees and surcharges). I like my current set up much more.
FIOS taxes & fees total up to $28/mo. now. It's pretty crazy. Were it not for that, they'd actually be cheaper than Altice One which is just plain pricey per tier + equipment.

Old 05-10-2018, 02:17 PM
exm

3,720 posts, read 1,777,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
FIOS taxes & fees total up to $28/mo. now. It's pretty crazy. Were it not for that, they'd actually be cheaper than Altice One which is just plain pricey per tier + equipment.
FYI - I checked my Optimum Bill and compared it to my FIOS bill

Optimum taxes and fees: $16 (majority is $4 broadcast TV surcharge and $7 Sports TV surcharge)
FIOS taxes and fees: $21
So the difference is $5.

Old 05-13-2018, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
FYI - I checked my Optimum Bill and compared it to my FIOS bill

Optimum taxes and fees: $16 (majority is $4 broadcast TV surcharge and $7 Sports TV surcharge)
FIOS taxes and fees: $21
So the difference is $5.
Verizon Surcharges & Fees $25.84
NY State and Local Tax Surcharges $3.04
Video Franchise Fee $3.16
Federal Universal Service Fee $3.70
Regulatory Recovery Fee - Federal $0.08
Regional Sports Network Fee $7.89
Fios TV Broadcast Fee $4.49
FDV Administrative Charge $0.99
NY Municipal Construction Surcharge $2.49

Up from $18 last agreement. Either way, considering I don't like paying much above $100 for my monthly triple play, having $25 being fees they tack on is pretty outrageous. It used to be that a phone company has to pay more in fees/taxes so Cablevision wasn't subjected to that and was a better option. If they are $16 now, that's pretty high too.

Old 05-14-2018, 08:51 AM

172 posts, read 220,921 times
just chiming in on this with a couple other questions because i've had verizon for a number of years now and they are getting pretty steep. Was about to call optimum to take advantage of a good deal they have currently but i was wondering about another plan.

anyway

i don't watch alot of TV and i was really looking to ditch cable utilizing a good antenna, a couple firesticks, some "borrowed" logins for my smart tvs, and finally youtube tv which would handle most of my channel needs across the board.

questions are....

what is the best antenna to get? wanted to get a outside one that i can attach to my old satellite dish already attached to the roof. i heard this works great.

i have 4 tv's in the house, 3 are smart so i'd just need 1 firestick correct?

i can purchase NFL network month by month right? because it isn't on youtube tv's list of apps.

thanks in advance.

Old 05-14-2018, 09:23 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,181,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miscus555 View Post
i don't watch alot of TV and i was really looking to ditch cable utilizing a good antenna, a couple firesticks, some "borrowed" logins for my smart tvs, and finally youtube tv which would handle most of my channel needs across the board.
Stealing cable is always cheaper.

Old 05-15-2018, 07:43 AM

34,003 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Eventually when most people have switched over to Internet-only plans, they'll raise the cost of the Internet to recoup.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-15-2018, 11:40 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,405,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Eventually when most people have switched over to Internet-only plans, they'll raise the cost of the Internet to recoup.
Eventually??? It's already happening.

Old 05-15-2018, 02:51 PM

34,003 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
Eventually??? It's already happening.
Awesome, now let's see how this plays out

I'm keeping my Fios Triple Play until further notice.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-15-2018, 03:00 PM

I don't think I'll ever be able to cut the cord entirely. We like to watch the random broadcasts on random channels like HGTV, Bravo, NatGeo, Food Network, etc. The problem with services we also sub to like Netflix/Prime/Hulu is that you're given so many options that by the time you settle on something, a lot of time has passed. It's mentally exhausting hunting down something worth the present time given all the options. I have a bunch of tv shows to catch up on and I skip so many of them just the same. Created "to watch" lists of shows is also ambitious yet a waste. Live tv on random cable channels are somehow what we find more appealing.

Not to mention the sports channels that are also still needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island