Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 07:58 PM
A&H A&H started this thread

108 posts, read 453,539 times

Advertisements

So labor day weekending is coming up and it's time for me to redo my not so great looking backyard. I have researched the proper way to top dress with top soil, putting down starter fertilizer and lime, etc. Now the question is which brand of grass seeds to use. From some research I've done it seems scotts has better result over pennington. However I still went ahead and bought pennington (northeast mix) at lowe's since they have a 20% off sale.

Do you have experience overseeding you can share (tips)? Do you have experience using these two brands (or recommend other brands seeds)? all comments are welcomed and thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2014, 09:57 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,789,376 times
I've bought both. If you check the label on Scott's, you'll see a large % of the seed is fillers. Pennington not so and I've had better results with them.

Also this makes the job easier: http://www.amazon.com/Grass-Stitcher.../dp/B002NKJYK2

Old 08-25-2014, 06:18 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,378,231 times
You could actually start now. Its late enough, and the weather has been perfect for seeding a lawn. Prep the soil! Get an aerator and go over it multiple times. Then rake the plugs around so you have a nice loose seed bed. Seed at twice the recommended amount, and rerake so seed is covered with soil. Make sure you water EVERYDAY. Dont let the soil dry out. In 7 days you will see it sprouting. Keep the water going till your first cut, then back off to normal watering. Good luck!

Old 08-25-2014, 07:36 AM

2,577 posts, read 3,361,499 times
I can't stand the Scott's spokesperson. You know the idiot, "feed your lawn, feed it!". I prefer to buy Pennington because I do not want to promote that idiot but to be quite honest with you I buy whichever is on sale. I really don't notice that much of a difference between the two of them. Ace usually has good deals on both, check out their weekly circular in your paper or online.

Old 08-25-2014, 08:29 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,978,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
I've bought both. If you check the label on Scott's, you'll see a large % of the seed is fillers. Pennington not so and I've had better results with them.

Also this makes the job easier: Amazon.com : Grass Stitcher GSS-001 10-Inch Single Grass Stitcher : Hand Grass Shears : Patio, Lawn & Garden
Ditto on the Pennington observation. Scott's is largely filler, which helps if you are a total idiot and forget to water for days after you lay seed, but Pennington has more seed per weight by a long shot.
I always use Pennington and have had great results.

Question on the Amazon stitcher. How does this work?

Old 08-25-2014, 08:48 AM

5,463 posts, read 7,036,071 times
I just seeded yesterday using Pennington. I use that brand mostly as it's the better of the two in my opinion. Last time I used Scotts it came out poorly.

I just hope I didn't goof by putting it down so early. It's supposed to get hot this week.

Old 08-25-2014, 09:00 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,378,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
I just seeded yesterday using Pennington. I use that brand mostly as it's the better of the two in my opinion. Last time I used Scotts it came out poorly.

I just hope I didn't goof by putting it down so early. It's supposed to get hot this week.
You will be fine, as the nights are still on the cool side. Just keep it moist.

Old 08-25-2014, 09:54 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,789,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo_michael View Post
Question on the Amazon stitcher. How does this work?
It basically does this without needing an aerator machine:

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
Prep the soil! Get an aerator and go over it multiple times. Then rake the plugs around so you have a nice loose seed bed.
Obviously you're better off with a machine if you're doing an entire yard, but for spot seeding, this thing will help a ton.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKoS2EjnBIU

Old 08-25-2014, 09:57 PM

622 posts, read 847,505 times
I've used both and recently tried Rebel. Pennington and Rebel have higher seed contents than Scotts and Scotts is the priciest by far.

I just did some spot seeding about a week ago and have yet to see any germination; I would say Rebel's takes longer to germinate when compared to the Scott's coated seed (pricier even still).

Old 08-26-2014, 08:37 AM
A&H A&H started this thread

108 posts, read 453,539 times
I will stick to the pennington I bought from lowes. At lowes they have the sun & shade mix at $54/20lb and a northeast mix at $69/20lb; I also found costco has pennington contractor mix for $45/20lb. any preference here? are they much different?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island