U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2018, 12:53 PM

19,098 posts, read 32,666,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Donít think Hempstead is changing any time soon.
Never say never

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2018, 01:29 PM

739 posts, read 481,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loribell38 View Post
Not many smart landlords on LI are willing to do short term rentals. And they will still want to do credit & background checks. Flashing cash will not entice a smart landlord. We have had drug dealers & illegal immigrants flash cash all the time. No freaking way. You have to have on the books verifiable income no matter what. Even if flashing cash.

Landlords can never be too careful in tenant friendly LI/NY. I know many rentals that we market on LI. None take cash like that without a normal application & screening process. None are short terms & all require 1 year lease minimum to start. Then usually go month to month after 1 year lease expires. As they know once the tenants are there 30 days. Legally they become occupants & if they refuse to leave it can become a nightmare for landlords. And many do refuse to leave. Only because they can not find another rental & usually have no place else to go. Forcing landlord to formally evict or get creative to get these tenants out. Cash for keys can be one way.

This problem erupted on LI big time after Sandy as so many owners became renters. And some are always looking for short terms while their homes are being worked on or raised. Focus your search on Long Beach as that is where most short term rentals pop up during the summer months. Are you a snowbird per chance? Or having work done on a home you own? Or just looking for something temporary for some other reason?

Try AirBnb. Lots of private landlords are trying AirBnb now instead of taking a regular tenant. Many are much happier doing this & are making more $$ this way & are happy not having tenants there 24/7 anymore. Lower utility costs is one reason. Privacy is another. One couple I know is making as much or more renting with AirBnb for 3 days weekends than they were making renting normally to a couple for monthly rent! So they are thrilled people are only in the apt in their home 3 days a week. So far they have never had a vacancy.

But with 2300 budget it depends on many factors. How many people do you have? Adults & kids. Any pets? And where & for exactly what time period are you looking? Might know someone that has a 2 BR apt coming up for rent soon that might be willing to do short term for the right tenants.
Not concerned about credit or background me and the wife both have very stable and good paying jobs w/ 800 plus credit scores. We need it since we sold our house and there will be a gap between when we can close on the new one. Open to any locations but can't be east of Cormack and prefer North shore for 3-4 months.

Old 05-14-2018, 01:32 PM

2,009 posts, read 2,229,454 times
Doubt Hempstead will ever change either at this point. They need to wipe the town out & rebuild completely to do any good for the Village of Hempstead itself. People that do not live in the area say to me. What you live in Town of Hempstead? You are crazy. As they always hear bad things about it on the news. I have to explain the whole Town of Hempstead is fine & that there are many towns within the TOH. That it is really the Village of Hempstead itself that they see in the news. And that is where it is really bad.

Old 05-14-2018, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
Not concerned about credit or background me and the wife both have very stable and good paying jobs w/ 800 plus credit scores. We need it since we sold our house and there will be a gap between when we can close on the new one. Open to any locations but can't be east of Cormack and prefer North shore for 3-4 months.
Who would be residing in the rental? In terms of occupants in total & are there any pets they would need to consider? They always ask these questions when we refer people to rentals. We do full credit & background checks for all occupants over 18 for them & do all the pre-screening for them as well. We never deal with Suffolk County at all. Only Nassau & for the most part only the South Shore from Merrick to Wantagh. Suffolk has changed too much in recent years. So they sold all their rentals in Suffolk. And only have rentals in Nassau now.

Old 05-14-2018, 06:14 PM

15,726 posts, read 23,957,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post

your best bet is going to be Long Beach...people there will rent for the summer.

Old 05-15-2018, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
your best bet is going to be Long Beach...people there will rent for the summer.
Was just going to say Long Beach as well. In fact I just found out about a 1BR 1 Bath Condo for rent there a few hours ago. But probably above this persons budget. Seems they want Suffolk anyway. Don't have the rental price full details yet. They just told me around 7pm last night. Nice place overlooking the ocean.

They are just planning to rent it for 3 months. Guessing June,July & August. As they feel they can make good extra money per month there. Since there are so many people looking for what they are offering. But I cautioned them about taking any short term tenants. Once they are there 30 day they might squat. Seems the be the LI way with renters now.

Old 05-15-2018, 08:24 PM

2 posts, read 792 times
Thank you for your responses. My budget would be around 1,350 - 1,400, as many of you stated. I am mostly window shopping at the moment and I still live at home with my parents. I mainly asked this question because I am contemplating moving off the Island in search of a place where I can get more bang for my buck. Most of the apartments that are in my price range and that are not illegal are located in Suffolk and that will be too long of a daily commute for me. In the meantime, I am saving up as much money as I can and paying off debt while I am still at home.

Old 05-16-2018, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNRS View Post
Thank you for your responses. My budget would be around 1,350 - 1,400, as many of you stated. I am mostly window shopping at the moment and I still live at home with my parents. I mainly asked this question because I am contemplating moving off the Island in search of a place where I can get more bang for my buck. Most of the apartments that are in my price range and that are not illegal are located in Suffolk and that will be too long of a daily commute for me. In the meantime, I am saving up as much money as I can and paying off debt while I am still at home.
There are more options for rentals in Suffolk for sure. Paying down debt is a good way to start as landlords are going to do credit checks. Income to debt ratio & credit score will matter to them. A landlord is going to want to know you can pay the rent in full on time every month. Show them you have sufficient savings as an ability to pay rent & that will help. In case of job loss if you have other expenses to cover. As they have to make sure rent will be paid. Background checks as well to make sure they are not taking bad people into their homes. As most rentals in that price range will be in someone's home where they live too.

Most apts in that price range are going to be illegal apts. But most apts in your range will be in basements. Just know that going forward. Do not use that factor when determining if you will take an apt. Otherwise you will limit your choices greatly with that budget. Only be concerned with things like what you are getting for your $1,400. If you love an apt you see.

Do not let the legal or illegal apt be a factor in your choice. Unless it is basement apt that does not have 2 ways of egress for safety reasons. Look for other ways of egress when you look at basement apts. Like if they installed a larger egress type of windows. Which will do a few things. Allow more light & air in. And allow you a way out in case of fire or other emergency. Especially if the fire dept. needs to get you out or get into the basement apt. Worry more about how that landlord modified that basement to turn it into an apt.

Many basement apts are very nice. Many are even much nicer than above ground apts. Remember most of the apts in people's private homes are after thoughts. And not well thought out plans like traditional apts.

If commute is important to you. Do not let the legality of apt or basement apt discourage you into taking it. And please. Since you say you are just window shopping. Don't make apts to see apts & not show up. We stopped showing apts by appt. because of that. And now only do Open House type of showings for all the rentals we market for family & friends. Just basically a block of time of like 2 hours on 1 day to show it to everyone that was interested. And not more than 10 tenants applying at a time. Or neighbors get pissed.

Many get mad as time is not good for them. And they expect us to make an exception & private viewing appt for them. We did that for many in the past. Then still many of those tenants searching did not show or call to cancel. So we no longer do that for anyone ever. Way too many people just make appts to see apts & never call to cancel. Waste of time when you have 50 or more people inquiring about just 1 apt.

Just found out rental price of short term Long Beach apt I mentioned above. They priced it at 2800 a month for June,July & August. Then they said they are putting it on the market for sale in mid Auqust. They put it up last night & got about 12 inquiries already as of this morning. So they took as down already.

Old 05-16-2018, 04:24 PM

329 posts, read 688,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Never say never
Never is a pretty safe bet at this point.

Hempstead is an incorporated village with extremely high taxes compared to the value of the home. We are talking 10K taxes on homes that are 200Kish. This only appeals to folks who intend to rent out rooms to multiple residents as they can easily cover the tax bill. Longtime residents may stay as they no longer have a mortgage or kids in the school district and only have to pay the taxes.

A family of four/five wouldn't want that home because on top of 10K taxes, they would need to send their kids to private school.

Old 05-16-2018, 04:29 PM

329 posts, read 688,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNRS View Post
Many apts are being built in say Mineola, Rockville Centre and around LIRR areas but there is no way you would qualify for them on a 55K income.

The reality for many here on the Island (esp at 55K) is that you will need to stay with your parents for as long as possible or leave. How young are you and what is your expected income over the next few years. 55K just won't cut it on your own....now if you inherit your parents home, etc, prospects change.

I don't want to be the typical LI Debbie Downer but at 55K you should seriously consider relocating to other cities. 55K is too much to qualify for any social services programs but way too low to ever be able to rent something nicely that isn't illegal, much less own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or