U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2018, 03:53 PM

2,008 posts, read 2,305,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chattyneighbor View Post
Don't you people have anything better to do then leave snarky comments? Especially when you are clearly illiterate. I asked if anyone knew of any vets who charge about $30 for vet exams. The vet I went to has now increased her rate to $88 and another one I called is charging $70. Seriously. Why do you post if you can't manage to say anything helpful - is your real life that pathetic? I'm sorry for you.
Sorry you are angry you are not getting the answers you want. But you did post this on CD after all. So what did you really expect to hear? Truth is bottom line. Even if you find a vet willing to do $30 exam. They will find other ways to make bill higher once your foot is in the door. Happens in all aspects of life. Again I still say. If you can not afford a pet. You should not have a pet. They are not like kids. They are not a necessity in life. I feel bad for all these animals that have owners like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2018, 08:45 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,030,500 times
Just paid $352.65 for my dog's annual visit that includes 3 shots, an oral vaccine, fecal exam, etc. My vet has a 24-hour emergency unit which a lot of vets don't have. I'm willing to pay for quality, and going the cheap route has it's drawbacks regarding knowledge, care, etc.

Old 05-17-2018, 04:22 PM

1,082 posts, read 664,082 times
I have never seen less than $40. My old vet went from $40 to $60 in the 8 years we went to him. Sometimes if all we needed was an immunization (I liked to space them out) they didn't charge me the office fee because a vet tech can do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJP View Post
I live in Atlanta (where people say it's cheap??!) and my vet charges $58 for an exam. It's a thorough exam with email follow up, etc. Having grown up on Long Island I'd say I wouldn't trust a vet who charged only $30 for an exam.
As a comparison, I just went to a vet in Raleigh NC and the fee was $40. But this vet is known to be very economical, while still having a great reputation. I've also been told the local University has reduced rates but I haven't tried them yet.

Old 05-18-2018, 05:54 AM

269 posts, read 458,346 times
Im willing to pay the bill when it comes to my little friend. Its life.... everything has a price.

Old 05-19-2018, 09:23 AM

17,137 posts, read 20,198,757 times
I was thinking of using one of the mobile vet/dog groomers. I'll get my hair cut, washed and blow dried, they will clip my nails and clean my teeth.

Old 05-19-2018, 11:48 AM

31 posts, read 29,990 times
Default Vet costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chattyneighbor View Post
Don't you people have anything better to do then leave snarky comments? Especially when you are clearly illiterate. I asked if anyone knew of any vets who charge about $30 for vet exams. The vet I went to has now increased her rate to $88 and another one I called is charging $70. Seriously. Why do you post if you can't manage to say anything helpful - is your real life that pathetic? I'm sorry for you.
Hello. Iíd like to reply to you and I hope you donít find it offensive. I donít know of a vet that charges 30$ but maybe my experience can help you. First Iíll tell you the pets I have. 2 domestic short hair cats, 1 Mexican redknee tarantula and 3 boa constrictors. Although most keepers donít take boas or tarantulas for yearly check ups, I do. Iím not sure of the number of animals you have but if you have multiple like I do maybe you can find a vet that may give some kind of discount for multiple animals. My vet doesnít but maybe that can be part of your search. As a previous poster said our pets do cost money and I think of the yearly checkups as saving money because the vet may find a condition that can be corrected that is discovered at the checkup instead of me discovering one of my pets has a condition that since I didnít do a checkup would now be costly to correct.
So in closing the way my experience can help you is if you have only 1 pet think hey I just spent 70$ on a check up but maybe I really saved hundreds or even thousands. Or if you only have one pet think hey I only spent 70$ not like the guy who has 6 animals that get yearly checks ups.

Old 05-20-2018, 03:05 PM

1,935 posts, read 1,798,025 times
I don't believe vets are worth it. My experience with sick cats/kittens is that either they recover on their own or they don't. I brought a sick kitten to a vet a few years ago and spent hundreds on exams, blood tests, medicine, and the kitten died within a week from unknown causes. The next year the mother cat got very sluggish so I brought her to the vet. More hundreds of dollars for exams, tests, and medicine. I said to the vet that in my experience when a cat starts displaying visible weakness it doesn't recover. Vet said that's not usually the case. Cat of course died a few days later to the vet's surprise. So for the kitten and the mother I spent almost $1,000 (including cremations) and the vet couldn't even say what was wrong with them.

Old Yesterday, 11:06 PM

839 posts, read 417,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsstats View Post
North Shore Animal League charges $40 for a wellness visit.
Perfect - thanks. My son's girlfriend has been rescuing cats & our family vet is up to $88 per now so this is just what they were looking for. This way they can get a good health cert or take care of their issues and foster them out without breaking the bank.

With gratitude -

Old Today, 07:18 AM

5,184 posts, read 2,896,638 times
BTW, check GoodRx for pets.

https://www.goodrx.com/pets

Old Today, 09:05 AM

114 posts, read 35,113 times
When my pets show signs of sickness, I rent a gun and buy a bullet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or