Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 06:35 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,537,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdevil77 View Post
I know, every possible sign is screaming Suffolk right now. Between the looming Nassau County tax reassessment, to the advice I'm getting on here, and to the out of control competition for a house around here.

Last week after work I took a drive to West Islip just to see what the commute would be like. With the traffic at the time I get out of work, it took me about an hour and forty minutes. During election season I'd probably have to stay at my parents house. I'm always called upon to do things almost every day and they expect me to show up in minutes.
Sounds like you need to ask for a raise!

Go to Suffolk.....try to use Ocean Parkway!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2018, 06:40 AM

2,045 posts, read 1,888,539 times
/\ said no one ever about a ToH employee. The amount of overtime this guy gets to be able to afford a 600k fixer upper is impressive.

Old 05-15-2018, 06:44 AM

18 posts, read 20,155 times
You are not alone. My wife and I went through the same exact pain of making multiple offers and finding ourselves in the middle of bidding wars. We did consider the condo option but wasn't the same as getting your own house. Eventually we found a home that was OK (not a dream house, no such thing in Nassau anyway) and started to fixing it to our own taste...

Just a piece of advice based on our experience.....Do NOT commit signing a exclusive contract with a RE agent!! while this may be beneficial in some aspects, this was a major roadblock because we had no control of the situation. Do your own research and deal directly with the listing agent!! you will be positioned with much more advantage.

Old 05-15-2018, 06:48 AM

4,697 posts, read 8,754,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdevil77 View Post
I know, every possible sign is screaming Suffolk right now. Between the looming Nassau County tax reassessment, to the advice I'm getting on here, and to the out of control competition for a house around here.

Last week after work I took a drive to West Islip just to see what the commute would be like. With the traffic at the time I get out of work, it took me about an hour and forty minutes. During election season I'd probably have to stay at my parents house. I'm always called upon to do things almost every day and they expect me to show up in minutes.
You work in Nassau county, right? Did you travel by horse and buggy? That sounds a bit ridiculous - even during the worst of rush hour.

Old 05-15-2018, 07:16 AM

194 posts, read 167,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
Sounds like you need to ask for a raise!

Go to Suffolk.....try to use Ocean Parkway!
I've been trying for years, no dice.

That's not a bad idea actually, never traffic on there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
/\ said no one ever about a ToH employee. The amount of overtime this guy gets to be able to afford a 600k fixer upper is impressive.
HA! I've been with the town for 10 years, most I ever made with overtime was just over 4 grand for the year, and that was the year of Sandy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cenizo22 View Post
You are not alone. My wife and I went through the same exact pain of making multiple offers and finding ourselves in the middle of bidding wars. We did consider the condo option but wasn't the same as getting your own house. Eventually we found a home that was OK (not a dream house, no such thing in Nassau anyway) and started to fixing it to our own taste...

Just a piece of advice based on our experience.....Do NOT commit signing a exclusive contract with a RE agent!! while this may be beneficial in some aspects, this was a major roadblock because we had no control of the situation. Do your own research and deal directly with the listing agent!! you will be positioned with much more advantage.
I haven't signed with anybody. The guy I've been working with didn't require me to sign anything and he's been great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
You work in Nassau county, right? Did you travel by horse and buggy? That sounds a bit ridiculous - even during the worst of rush hour.
Horse and buggy probably would of been quicker. I could of walked there onModerator cut: language removed in less time probably. Just typical southern state disgustingness and the typical rear end accidents that seem to happen daily.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 05-15-2018 at 07:43 AM..

Old 05-15-2018, 07:21 AM

4,697 posts, read 8,754,804 times
even in the worst of rush hour it shouldn't take and hour and 40 minutes to get to West Islip from nearly anywhere in Nassau. Do you have Waze?

Old 05-15-2018, 07:46 AM

194 posts, read 167,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
even in the worst of rush hour it shouldn't take and hour and 40 minutes to get to West Islip from nearly anywhere in Nassau. Do you have Waze?
I do but I didn't use it. The accident on the southern didn't help I'm sure. I wanted to see about how long it would take on the typical route. From Franklin Square to West Islip at 3pm

Old 05-15-2018, 11:00 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,364,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I'm aware but it seems like there's way more co-ops than condos on Long Island. Or am I looking in the wrong places?
$365k for a co-op? you can get a house for that price. I didn't say a nice house, but you can. Some people don't want to fix a house up and that's fine, but co-ops are so restrictive and for that price, I can't justify it.

Old 05-15-2018, 11:24 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,324,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
$365k for a co-op? you can get a house for that price. I didn't say a nice house, but you can. Some people don't want to fix a house up and that's fine, but co-ops are so restrictive and for that price, I can't justify it.
Good luck in Nassau for 365k in my area anything under 475k is going to be bought buy a builder or investor and torn down or gutted to studs w/ some type of expansion and they will offer all cash and win.

Old 05-15-2018, 11:29 AM

34,001 posts, read 47,230,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Some don't have the extra money to do renovations after purchasing.

Most houses in that price range on LI only have 1 photo in the listing.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island