U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 01:43 PM
exm

1,659 posts, read 513,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
what do you mean by "improvements"? Admittedly, some of these are way beyond initial budge/estimate - but there have been several mega-projects that have either recently been completed or are underway:
Second Avenue Subway, #7 subway extension, new Tappan Zee Bridge, new Goethals Bridge, Javits Center redevelopment, East Side Access, Laguardia redevelopment.....not to mention basically every team in the area plays in a new building or a recently renovated one (tax dollars either directly or indirectly went to all of them). I completely agree that the NY area does not receive services commensurate with the taxes paid, but there are still some big things happening with those dollars.
Have you done some research how insanely expensive those projects have been compared to similar projects? All the MTA money wasted comes out of our (NY) tax payers' pockets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2018, 02:03 PM

4,135 posts, read 6,713,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
Have you done some research how insanely expensive those projects have been compared to similar projects? All the MTA money wasted comes out of our (NY) tax payers' pockets.
no one denies this. But these projects do exist.

Old 05-17-2018, 02:19 PM

4,632 posts, read 2,616,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
Okay, so you are admitting in your last line that the DNC pushes up taxes. That's a start. As to Fed dependent state: that's also an utopia. Here's the math: in high taxed states, wages will rise to afford living in these states, and higher wages automatically result in higher federal taxes being withheld. So technically you are correct: blue states like CA and NY "contribute" more to the federal government, but that's simply because those states need higher wages to sustain a certain way of living.
And of course the Dems are for “progressive” taxation which means higher earners pay more too.

Old 05-17-2018, 02:34 PM

15,755 posts, read 23,998,422 times
That thread was in response to a guy whose HHI is $650K a year, he's saving like $10K a month, takes vacations, etc etc and still feels like he can't make it in NY. I read that post 3 times and all I came away with was "some people will never be happy or satisfied". You could give that guy HHI of $1 million/year in Iowa and he still would be looking at who has more, has it better, etc etc.

It's cheaper other places. Lather, rinse, repeat. What's new?

Old 05-17-2018, 03:54 PM

2,512 posts, read 1,564,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
Agree. All the points are nothing new to any of us. While his utopia is serving him well, he should admit Arizona is the 7th most Fed dependent state so he can thank us donor blue states for that boost to his schools and immigration issues. Also, AZ has been moving from red to purple pretty fast. It's farther left than the DNC. Won't become blue anytime soon, but lots of Yankees and Cali libs moving in will keep changing the politics and push up the taxes. LI was bargain once too, 70 years ago!
You really contradict yourself, if Arizona was further left than the DNC it would already be a "blue" state. Then you state it won't become "blue" anytime soon? That I agree with as I know many Californians that have moved to Arizona and have escaped that hell hole for the same reasons why we left New York. PROGRESSIVE LIBERAL SOCIAL POLICIES, that have all but decimated the middle class. Of course you'll never admit it as you probably support and defend those policies. I've been living here for 8 years and I can assure you that Arizona will not become as you say a "blue" state anytime soon.

Obviously states with higher incomes pay more into the federal government than states with lower incomes. *Almost 1/4 of Arizona is on Indian reservations which are designated as federal lands. It's the federal government that supports those lands and their Indian population not the state. The Indian reservations happen to be some of the most impoverished places in the United States. They are entirely dependent on the federal government for their every need. Serving a population of around 300,000 in Arizona alone.

Arizona's population is around 7,000,000 as of the 2018 census. New York City alone has a population of around 8,600,000. New York State around 20,000,000. There are a lot of retirees living in Arizona that are collecting social security and are on medicare. No surprise there as Arizona was rated as one of the best places to retire to. That combined with the Indian reservations and it's no wonder that Arizona receives more federal tax dollars than other states when you take into consideration the higher percentage of retirees and those living on Indian reservations as compared to New York. The 7th most dependent on federal dollars doesn't surprise me at all. All the points are nothing new to any of us. So what? That still doesn't justify the astronomical cost of living or doing business in the New York metro area. That's a state issue and not a federal one.

New York also has thee most corrupt legislature in the country and more people are leaving than coming in. They already lost two congressional seats and two electoral votes.

*A federal Indian reservation is an area of land reserved for a tribe or tribes under treaty or other agreement with the United States, executive order, or federal statute or administrative action as permanent tribal homelands, and where the federal government holds title to the land in trust on behalf of the tribe.

Quote:
Yes, New York has more corrupt officials than any other state
http://www.politifact.com/new-york/s...s/2016/sep/19/...
Sep 18, 2016 · ... New York has more corrupt officials than any ... the state level across the country. ... that New York remains one of the most corrupt states if ...

Survey: New York Most Corrupt State - NY State of Politics
Survey: New York Most Corrupt State...
Survey: New York Most Corrupt ... Senate Majority Leader Dean Skelos is also under investigation ... it seems the entire country is in a New York state of mind ...

Is New York the Most Corrupt State in America Now? - VICE
www.vice.com/en_us/article/8gdja5/is-new-york...
... the most powerful member of the state legislature being ... Is New York the Most Corrupt ... someone in the elected higher offices of New York has been ...

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 05-17-2018 at 04:23 PM..

Old 05-17-2018, 04:12 PM

745 posts, read 485,290 times
News flash not everyone in NY is poor, struggling and miserable. Just go to a open house on LI or Westchester people lining up to pay 700k and 15-20k a year in taxes. Some people actually like it here. Great I could save 13k a year in taxes living in AZ in 30 years I save $430k. My house in AZ will be worth 300k and my house in NY is worth 1.3mm. You can't take the money with you.

Old 05-17-2018, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
The post was fine until the poster began slamming Democrats. LI has been run by the corrupt GOP machine for decades, and both parties are complicit in sinking the state.
Well which political party do you think runs New York State? New York is hardly a "red" state. Yes I do agree with you that both parties are complicit in sinking the state as New York State has the most corrupt legislature in the country and you're paying dearly for it. Eric Schneiderman just recently was forced to resign. Hypocrite that he is. The question is when will they finally nail Cuomo? What ever happened to the Moreland Commission? From what I understand Cuomo shut it down when it came too close to him and his cronies?

When I was living in New York I payed close attention to New York State politics as it affected our every day living. I've met personally it's former Gov. Pataki several times while he was Mayor of Peekskill where I used to live, at his family vegetable stand off of the Bear Mountain State Parkway. What a hypocrite and lying swine he turned out to be. Typical of a New York State "RINO". I've even got letters that he personally signed as a state senator supporting legislation that I was in favor of. Only for him to reverse course once he became governor and did what was only politically expedient for him. He stabbed his friend and ally Mary Goodhue in the back when competing for the state senate seat. All she wanted to do was finish out her term, but good ole' George couldn't wait.

Quote:
Preet Bharara creeps closer to Cuomo with latest indictment
nypost.com/2015/05/31/preet-bharara-creeps...
US Attorney Preet Bharara moved “a giant step closer” to Gov. Andrew Cuomo late last week with an indictment that alleges insurance exec Anthony Bonomo, a...

Emboldened by Silver conviction, Bharara to indict Cuomo Jan ...
buffalochronicle.com › Corruption
Three sources are confirming that Bharara intends to indict Governor Andrew Cuomo on January 2nd ... Cuomo should be indicted for his fraudelent raping of ...

Ex-Cuomo Aides Charged in Federal Corruption Inquiry - The ...
http://www.nytimes.com/.../cuomo-for...s-charges.html
Sep 22, 2016 · Federal corruption charges were announced on Thursday against two former close aides to Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo, a senior state official and six other people, in a blow to the governor’s innermost circle and a repudiation of the way his prized upstate economic development programs were managed. The ...

How Albany Really Works: Cuomo Loyalist Exposes Pay-to-Play ...
www.nytimes.com/2018/02/16/nyregion/howe-cuomo...
Feb 15, 2018 · As he unveiled the charges against one of Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo’s top lieutenants, Preet Bharara hoped aloud for a jury trial “so that all New Yorkers can see, in gory detail, what their state government has been up to.” Mr. Bharara, then the United States attorney in Manhattan, has gotten his ...

Is New York’s Governor Andrew Cuomo’s Head the Next to Roll?
westernfreepress.com/is-new-yorks-governor-andrew-cuomos...
Pictured: Indicted Assembly Speaker Democrat Sheldon Silver center left with alleged co-conspirator Governor of New York, Democrat Andrew Cuomo sitting. The New York Post and PJ Media reported after New York Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver ‘s arrest, that Federal prosecutor Preet Bharara is “looking at bigger fish” to fry.
Quote:
Is New York the Most Corrupt State in America Now? - VICE
www.vice.com/en_us/article/8gdja5/is-new-york...
... the most powerful member of the state legislature being ... Is New York the Most Corrupt ... someone in the elected higher offices of New York has been ...

Survey: New York Most Corrupt State - NY State of Politics
Survey: New York Most Corrupt State...
Survey: New York Most Corrupt ... Senate Majority Leader Dean Skelos is also under investigation ... it seems the entire country is in a New York state of mind ...

Yes, New York has more corrupt officials than any other state
http://www.politifact.com/new-york/s...s/2016/sep/19/...
Sep 18, 2016 · ... New York has more corrupt officials than any ... the state level across the country. ... that New York remains one of the most corrupt states if ...

Old 05-17-2018, 05:21 PM

19,216 posts, read 32,719,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
Well which political party do you think runs New York State? New York is hardly a "red" state. Yes I do agree with you that both parties are complicit in sinking the state as New York State has the most corrupt legislature in the country and you're paying dearly for it. Eric Schneiderman just recently was forced to resign. Hypocrite that he is. The question is when will they finally nail Cuomo? What ever happened to the Moreland Commission? From what I understand Cuomo shut it down when it came too close to him and his cronies?

When I was living in New York I payed close attention to New York State politics as it affected our every day living. I've met personally it's former Gov. Pataki several times while he was Mayor of Peekskill where I used to live, at his family vegetable stand off of the Bear Mountain State Parkway. What a hypocrite and lying swine he turned out to be. Typical of a New York State "RINO". I've even got letters that he personally signed as a state senator supporting legislation that I was in favor of. Only for him to reverse course once he became governor and did what was only politically expedient for him. He stabbed his friend and ally Mary Goodhue in the back when competing for the state senate seat. All she wanted to do was finish out her term, but good ole' George couldn't wait.
Pataki sent half of New York City to prison in the '90s

So much that, in fact, that "Air Patakis" were referred to when one wore sneakers without shoelaces, like when they release you from being locked up.

Hell, maybe that was the plan to clear us out for the new wave

No wonder there's $2M brownstones in Bed-Stuy now

Viva Nueva York

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-17-2018, 05:45 PM

8,140 posts, read 12,519,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Guy lives in the Midwest.

Midwest is crap.

Rather have this overpriced place any day

I wouldn’t live in the Midwest if ya paid me!

Old 05-17-2018, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
News flash not everyone in NY is poor, struggling and miserable. Just go to a open house on LI or Westchester people lining up to pay 700k and 15-20k a year in taxes. Some people actually like it here. Great I could save 13k a year in taxes living in AZ in 30 years I save $430k. My house in AZ will be worth 300k and my house in NY is worth 1.3mm. You can't take the money with you.
News flash not every one in New York is filthy rich either. Sure people are lining up to pay 700k and 15-20k a year in taxes, good for them if they can afford it. Most people can't and it's putting home ownership out of reach for them as everyone thinks that their home is now worth a fortune even fixer uppers. If they're happy living in New York more power to them. Some people actually hate living in New York as more people are leaving than are moving in according to the last census.

I never really considered my home to be a bank. It's a place to live in and better than being stuck in some over priced crowded apartment building. At least you have something tangible once it's paid off. At any rate a 300K home in Arizona is almost equivalent to your 1.3mm home in New York. 1.3mm in Arizona and you'll be living in a home like a Hollywood movie star. So if you have a 300K home in New York and use that money to buy a 300K home in another state and have the opportunity to live in a much nicer home and in a much nicer neighborhood at one tenth the cost of living, why wouldn't you want to do that? If you have a 1.3mm home in New York and buy a comparable home for 300K in Arizona you'll have 1mm. in profit left over. Not to mention your $430k in tax savings.

My wife and I grew up in Irvington, N.Y. when it was basically a small middle class town. Most of the people living on the side streets off of Main Street owned their own homes and had blue collar jobs in manufacturing. Some were cops and village employees. Some worked for GM in Tarrytown. I don't think any of them had a college education. Most of the homes were on less than 1/10th of an acre, no garage, on the street parking, with an alley way separating them. I was shocked to see some of them now going for 800K and up. These were homes that I've been in growing up as a kid as everyone knew everyone in Irvington as we were growing up. One of our old friends called us up recently when she learned we were in Arizona and remarked of how lucky we are to have gotten out of New York and how Irvington has drastically changed and not for the better. Her family too had a home in Irvington and she's now living in a small apartment as she could never afford to live in the house she grew up in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or