U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2018, 09:09 AM

10 posts, read 3,938 times

Advertisements

My wife and I (with a 7 years old) are currently living in Queens and are considering moving to Great Neck of Long Island, as it's closer to NYC and less pricy (relative to Manhasset). Can anyone give me some insight around the differences between GN North and GN South, in terms of living and schools? Thank you
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2018, 10:25 AM

1,935 posts, read 2,127,968 times
They are both fine.

Great Neck South is over populated with asians, which can be both good and bad.

If you are asian, then your kid will be surrounded with asian faces (good).
However, that means they are also competing with ultra competetitive asian tiger kids (bad). And don't think colleges don't use racial quotas, so its actually tougher for an asian kid to stand out in GNS among all the other bright asian kids.

North has a lot more asians now too, but not overpopulated like South.

I myself am an asian whose parents moved from Queens to great Neck back in the eighties. Back then GNS had like 10 asian kids total so it was easy for me to dominate academically.

And I just moved to East Hills (Roslyn SD) in 2015 for my kids. I did not choose GNS because of ultra competitive asian kids. Also got priced out by ultra rich cash paying chinese- houses in Great Neck are ridiculously priced these days.

Old 05-19-2018, 03:40 PM

9,585 posts, read 11,167,117 times
One can be warmer than the other.
Lots of traffic.
Highly Jewish and Asian but not Jewish-Asian.
Hope that helps.

Old 05-20-2018, 08:30 PM

2,748 posts, read 3,011,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
They are both fine.

However, that means they are also competing with ultra competetitive asian tiger kids (bad). And don't think colleges don't use racial quotas, so its actually tougher for an asian kid to stand out in GNS among all the other bright asian kids.

I myself am an asian whose parents moved from Queens to great Neck back in the eighties. Back then GNS had like 10 asian kids total so it was easy for me to dominate academically.

And I just moved to East Hills (Roslyn SD) in 2015 for my kids. I did not choose GNS because of ultra competitive asian kids. Also got priced out by ultra rich cash paying chinese- houses in Great Neck are ridiculously priced these days.
Amazing how immigration hurts recent immigrants the most. If you were a low-performing Hispanic it would have been even worse.

Old 05-20-2018, 11:04 PM

10 posts, read 3,938 times
Thank you all for your feedback.

Old 05-21-2018, 06:03 AM

1,935 posts, read 2,127,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
Amazing how immigration hurts recent immigrants the most. If you were a low-performing Hispanic it would have been even worse.

No, immigration does not hurt recent immigrants- liberal affirmative action does.

Old 05-27-2018, 12:40 PM

400 posts, read 346,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
They are both fine.

Not sure about tiger parents but I do know of 3 Great Neck South alumni (all graduated about 8-10 years ago from their High School) who were Asian and did very well. All went to top 20 medical schools in the country. Extremely humble people too (at least those 3 that I met from there).

They're known to be very highly achieving.

Great Neck North at least in the early 2010s was notorious for being full of very very affluent Persian students. I do know of a few people who went there.

Great Neck South always felt more middle class. Great Neck North - I personally know of at least one person whose family was probably worth upwards of 7 figures and often flaunted it.

Old 05-29-2018, 11:26 AM
NBH

9 posts, read 23,271 times
North is wealthier than South. North is predominantly Orthodox Jews and Iranian Jews. South is predominantly Asians and people who live in apartments/co-ops.

South schools are pressure cookers but they are ranked higher than North schools.

Old 05-29-2018, 12:57 PM

498 posts, read 250,457 times
I don’t know about schools.

But, in terms of living, my experience is that the central area, close to the train station, changes quickly. So be aware that what you buy now may be different in 10 years.
The south is becoming rapidly first gen Asian, with signs in stores already showing this change and Chinese or Korean being spoken on the streets very often.
The north has been Iranian for some time now. They are very closed and I don’t see a community feeling.
If you go to the main park in great neck you’ll see what I’m talking about. Lots of kids and people but they just keep it to themselves.
The few more cosmopolitan or older American generations appear to be out of place, and this seems to be a trend.

GN north has also lots of new rich, many enjoying the show off, particularly with loud Ferraris and such.

The best of great neck is/was the gatherings in special occasions for restaurant week, spring festivals and other community oriented activities, plus the inherited pretty architecture, plus beautiful old big trees. In addition it’s only half hour to manhattan.

However many stores are closing, and after sandy hundreds of trees were chopped down by the town and neighbors, giving, especially the north part of the town, a more queens feeling.
The commute may be short but is very stressful. Packed most of the times, the train, as we all know, is reliable to certain extent. When small problems occur, it’s chaos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or