U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 04:11 PM

757 posts, read 606,136 times

Advertisements

Wow. Didn’t realize Huntington was so expensive. I’m not even getting 1500 for my 1br rental in st James.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2018, 04:15 PM

9,038 posts, read 18,355,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveithateit View Post
Wow. Didnít realize Huntington was so expensive. Iím not even getting 1500 for my 1br rental in st James.

Those are brand new apartments, and not in a private home; a few are as "low" as $2,300.
Accessory apartments (when available), are pretty much between $1,500 - $1,800 for a 1-bedroom.

Old 05-21-2018, 04:12 AM

546 posts, read 282,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Accessory apartments (when available), are pretty much between $1,500 - $1,800 for a 1-bedroom.
Yeah...John Pius illegal fire traps maybe. Something decent in Hunt Village area over $2k.

Old 05-21-2018, 05:48 AM

1,481 posts, read 2,707,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie242424 View Post
I'm a single female, early 30s, no kids, professional (grad-level degree), moving to Long Island for a job at Stony Brook Hospital. My family all lives in Manhattan/Brooklyn (so being able to get into the city is important to me) and I have lived in big cities most of my adult life. I'm thinking that Huntington would be a good fit, but I've honestly been pretty shocked at the rental prices for 1-BR apartments (it's like manhattan prices!) so thinking that I should maybe expand my options. Any advice/insights on this topic would be appreciated (eg. neighborhoods, walkability, transport, parking, things to do, etc) but here's a few specific questions....

1) Huntington vs. Huntington station? Major differences?

2) Huntington village... what is traffic/parking like? (eg. living right in the village would be great for walkability, is it worth the extra cost to avoid these transport-related issues? will living 1/2 vs. 1 vs. 2 miles away make that big of a difference in my life?)

2) Other towns with good rental options?

Thank you!!
Without living in someoneís basement, rent will be $2,500 +/- for a 1 BR
$3,000 per month +/- for a 2BR

Old 05-21-2018, 07:22 AM

591 posts, read 918,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie242424 View Post
I'm a single female, early 30s, no kids, professional (grad-level degree), moving to Long Island for a job at Stony Brook Hospital. My family all lives in Manhattan/Brooklyn (so being able to get into the city is important to me) and I have lived in big cities most of my adult life. I'm thinking that Huntington would be a good fit, but I've honestly been pretty shocked at the rental prices for 1-BR apartments (it's like manhattan prices!) so thinking that I should maybe expand my options. Any advice/insights on this topic would be appreciated (eg. neighborhoods, walkability, transport, parking, things to do, etc) but here's a few specific questions....

1) Huntington vs. Huntington station? Major differences?

2) Huntington village... what is traffic/parking like? (eg. living right in the village would be great for walkability, is it worth the extra cost to avoid these transport-related issues? will living 1/2 vs. 1 vs. 2 miles away make that big of a difference in my life?)

2) Other towns with good rental options?

Thank you!!

Huntington is very expensive. Plus it will take close to 30 to 40 minutes from Huntington to come your SB Hospital.

I think you would be better off in St.James or Nesconset area. You can reach SB Hospital in 15 minutes. Also close to LIRR but either way you need to buy a car.
St. James or Nesconset area - parks, Smith haven mall and all the restaurants you can think of is close by.

You can also save money on the rent. :-)

Old 05-21-2018, 12:56 PM

3,198 posts, read 8,106,787 times
Both Huntington and Huntington Station have parts that are good and parts that are not so nice. Huntington Village is getting very expensive for rentals with the influx of millennials.

Old 05-22-2018, 12:20 AM

6,121 posts, read 3,318,365 times
Patchogue! Others have assumed you don't drive but I see you asked about parking so I'm of the mind that your "walkability" request means you'd prefer a place with some activity you don't need to get in the car to find.

Patchogue has a lot of new apartments in the downtown area and a lot of restaurants and other places to hang. It's also one of the places you can hop on a ferry to Fire Island or the LIRR to the city. Lots of people your age. Even in rush hour you should be able to make the run up Nichols Road in about a half hour.

Old 05-22-2018, 05:07 PM

16,685 posts, read 27,887,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samnyc View Post
Huntington is very expensive. Plus it will take close to 30 to 40 minutes from Huntington to come your SB Hospital.

I think you would be better off in St.James or Nesconset area. You can reach SB Hospital in 15 minutes. Also close to LIRR but either way you need to buy a car.
St. James or Nesconset area - parks, Smith haven mall and all the restaurants you can think of is close by.

You can also save money on the rent. :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Patchogue! Others have assumed you don't drive but I see you asked about parking so I'm of the mind that your "walkability" request means you'd prefer a place with some activity you don't need to get in the car to find.

Patchogue has a lot of new apartments in the downtown area and a lot of restaurants and other places to hang. It's also one of the places you can hop on a ferry to Fire Island or the LIRR to the city. Lots of people your age. Even in rush hour you should be able to make the run up Nichols Road in about a half hour.
Good suggestions.

It usually takes me (without traffic) 25 minutes to get from the Stony Brook train station to North Ocean and Montauk Hwy.

Old 05-23-2018, 06:29 PM

1,159 posts, read 855,873 times
Sayville is a nice community, and it's got a pleasant downtown. The houses are on decent size properties and the town is near the water, MacArthur Airport, Fire Island Ferry, RR station.

Babylon, N. Babylon and Deer Park are also good choices. You get better options at lower prices and a small town feel in Suffolk. Definitely stay out of Nassau County.

Old 05-24-2018, 12:05 PM

16,685 posts, read 27,887,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
Sayville is a nice community, and it's got a pleasant downtown. The houses are on decent size properties and the town is near the water, MacArthur Airport, Fire Island Ferry, RR station.

Babylon, N. Babylon and Deer Park are also good choices. You get better options at lower prices and a small town feel in Suffolk. Definitely stay out of Nassau County.
I agree with Sayville.

Babylon around the LIRR to or from Stony Brook LIRR area is a pain in the arse ride. I do that several times a year as that is where the buses depart for upstate colleges. If the OP wants south shore, I would suggest they go no further west than Oakdale if they want a reasonable commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or