U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2018, 04:29 PM

13 posts, read 7,378 times

Advertisements

I'm a single female, early 30s, no kids, professional (grad-level degree), moving to Long Island for a job at Stony Brook Hospital. My family all lives in Manhattan/Brooklyn (so being able to get into the city is important to me) and I have lived in big cities most of my adult life. I'm thinking that Huntington would be a good fit, but I've honestly been pretty shocked at the rental prices for 1-BR apartments (it's like manhattan prices!) so thinking that I should maybe expand my options. Any advice/insights on this topic would be appreciated (eg. neighborhoods, walkability, transport, parking, things to do, etc) but here's a few specific questions....

1) Huntington vs. Huntington station? Major differences?

2) Huntington village... what is traffic/parking like? (eg. living right in the village would be great for walkability, is it worth the extra cost to avoid these transport-related issues? will living 1/2 vs. 1 vs. 2 miles away make that big of a difference in my life?)

2) Other towns with good rental options?

Thank you!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2018, 04:41 PM

546 posts, read 282,475 times
Port Jefferson. Closer to work.

Old 05-19-2018, 05:17 PM

Thanks! Not so worried about the commute (I've done 1+ hrs in the past in Atlanta traffic so anything less than that is fine with me), more interested in finding a place where I'll enjoy living. Are there other reasons you'd suggest Port Jefferson aside from proximity to work?

Old 05-19-2018, 06:57 PM

1,203 posts, read 2,264,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie242424 View Post
Thanks! Not so worried about the commute (I've done 1+ hrs in the past in Atlanta traffic so anything less than that is fine with me), more interested in finding a place where I'll enjoy living. Are there other reasons you'd suggest Port Jefferson aside from proximity to work?
Port Jefferson is not your typical suburban Long Island town. Scenic. Lots of character with a real downtown and a waterfront. There are some apartment complexes up on the hill by the hospitals, but I'm sure the rents are high there too. The village does get really busy in the summertime though.
Setauket is a really nice town also, check that out.

Old 05-19-2018, 07:09 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,111,382 times
Stony Brook and the Setaukets can be expensive, but it isn't impossible to find a reasonable apartment.
Port Jefferson Village is very quaint, but really no less money than SB or the Setaukets. East and Setauket. South Setauket is really North Centereach.

Try Lake Grove, Centereach, Smithtown, Port Jefferson Station, Rocky Point, Sound Beach, Kings Park.

Without a car, it's going to be difficult.

Old 05-19-2018, 07:10 PM

Cool - thanks! I may just have to re-adjust my expectations as far as renting on LI

Old 05-19-2018, 07:41 PM

1,125 posts, read 2,981,691 times
There is the LIRR that has a station in Huntington Station, and you can take a train to the Stony Brook RR station - they're both on the Pt. Jefferson line, if this is any help to you at all. You would have to taxi over to the hospital from the Stony Brook station. Walking would take too long.

Rents in the new apartments in Huntington are something like $3,000/month for a one bedroom. It is completely outrageous, and that being said, it seems the landlords are getting that kind of money for living in town. $36,000/year for rent is crazy. We have a house in Huntington and our taxes are $14,200/year currently, and our utilities are a few thousand more. In comparison we've got a bargain.

Having lived out in Stony Brook for years, there really aren't many apartments in the Three Villages. You may find some in private houses, etc. Perhaps a possiblity of renting a condo in the Stonington complex on Old Town Road in Setauket; there is also another apartment complex on the same road about a half mile south of Stonington. In Pt. Jefferson there's a new apartment building that's on 25A, has parking, faces the water, and is within easy walking distance to everything in Pt. Jeff village. This would be about a 12 minute commute to University hospital.

Hope this helps a bit.

Old 05-20-2018, 07:02 AM

15,720 posts, read 23,949,403 times
Huntington. Not Huntington Station, since you don't know the area. It can change dramatically from one street to the next. If you can find an apartment outside the "village" and save some cash, do so. Walkability is great but not $3000/month for rent great. It can get noisy in the village too....bars open till 4 a.m., people walking around at all hours, etc.
Port Jeff might be a better option, probably cheaper, closer to work, and things to do. Downside is farther from the city. Huntington is the end of the electric train line so you have to transfer to to go Port Jeff.

Old 05-20-2018, 08:04 AM

Very helpful - thanks!

Old 05-20-2018, 10:02 AM

1,067 posts, read 630,201 times
Don't forget St. James. On the same LIRR line but cheaper than being close to Setauket, Stony Brook or Port Jeff.

Sometimes areas that are close to the train station can be iffy. This isn't the case for St. James. Down the block from shopping, driveable to Setuaket and PJ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or