Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 07:56 PM

3 posts, read 28,305 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
New here. I was at my haircutters the other day. We started talking about Speaks. We couldn't remember the name of it after it was Speaks. Not Archies or the name now. Anyone?? It has been driving us crazy. I thought maybe 50 Broadway.

Thanks
cottoncandy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 09:02 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,873,403 times
You might find the answer in this thread... it is a terrific walk down memory lane for LI clubs.

all my old clubs are dead as good 80s/rock clubs left

Old 03-27-2008, 10:48 PM

405 posts, read 1,163,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcassjoe View Post
Hi All,
New here. I was at my haircutters the other day. We started talking about Speaks. We couldn't remember the name of it after it was Speaks. Not Archies or the name now. Anyone?? It has been driving us crazy. I thought maybe 50 Broadway.

Thanks
cottoncandy
I think they actually called it "Speaks at 50 Broadway" for a while, and I believe you are correct that after that it was just "50 Broadway".

I could be wrong, but I think the name line for that club through the 80's was that it started as "Speakeasy", then "Speaks", then "Speaks at 50 Broadway", then "50 Broadway" and it eventually turned into Industry.

IMO the "Speaks" period was the best for that club.

Old 03-28-2008, 04:00 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,507,335 times
I heard that this place is gone completely, leveled. I went there once about 8 years ago when it was called "South Beach" or "Miami Beach" -- something like that. Great bands and the layout was really cool, had a lot of fun. I think it closed shortly after that because I never heard of it mentioned again afterwards.

It was in Barnum Island, BTW.

Old 03-28-2008, 06:00 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with Barnum Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
It was in Barnum Island, BTW.

For those who may not be familiar with Barnum Island:

Barnum Island is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) in the southwest part of the Town of Hempstead, in the southwest part of Nassau County.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of Barnum Island in the Town of Hempstead is bordered on the north by Simonson Channel and the Hamlet of Oceanside; on the east by the East Channel; on the south by Reynolds Channel; and, on the west by the Village of Island Park.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/ae/Barnum-island-ny-map.gif (broken link)

Barnum Island is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where none of the places in the community have the hamlet name in their mailing address: places in the Hamlet of Barnum Island have an "Island Park, NY 11558" mailing address.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): Excellent Long Island Geographic Resource

Old 04-11-2008, 12:39 PM

1 posts, read 19,216 times
Default Zebra and Randy Jackson

Blast from the past with the old clubs.
Forgot many of them. Lots of good times back in the day.

Saw Zebra at many of the good ones, many times.

Actually have Randy coming out to Manorville in September to play at our Annual Chamber of Commerce BBQ at The Maples.
Saw him play his acoustic show a few weeks back and it was great.

Old 05-05-2010, 09:58 AM

3 posts, read 79,648 times
I believe the establishment became "Club California" at one point.

Old 05-05-2010, 10:19 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times
There is currently a place now on Beech Street (west end) in Long Beach called "Speakeasy".

Old 06-08-2011, 04:09 PM

3 posts, read 20,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcassjoe View Post
Hi All,

Thanks
cottoncandy

I am almost 100% positive that it changed to "The Night Club". A black sign with white letters. I lived on New York Ave by the Lincoln Orens JHS back then. This is bothering me because no one remembers! I even remember the t-shirts and the slogan was "Meet Me At The Night Club". I am hoping someone else would verify this!

Old 06-08-2011, 09:34 PM

151 posts, read 367,432 times
That place has been gone for years now. I don't think there is anything where the actual club was but what used to be the big parking lot is now one of those self-storage places
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island