U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-20-2018, 09:36 AM
 
54 posts, read 39,893 times
Reputation: 55

Advertisements

At the end of last year I have received a letter from the Town of Oyster Bay, addressed to the previous owner of the house, titled "expired building permit". The letter informed that the amnesty program was expiring for an opportunity for the residents to close out building permit issues w/o any penalties. I went to the town hall to find out what permit they were referring to. Turns out that the permit for the deck in the back of the house had expired and was never issued a CO. I explained that after we bought the house, the deck was torn down and replaced by a paved ground-level patio with steps from the sliding back door. I was instructed to get a new survey with an architect's drawing showing the changes. I brought in the permit application for the changes with the survey and a drawing showing the changes. Weeks later I get a letter stating that application could not be processed due to lack of a plot plan. Furthermore, they said that after examining the survey and conducting a file search, it appears that the 2 bay windows and 3 skylights do not have a building permit. The same goes for A/C unit and a fence over 4' in height.
All the items listed were all added/installed prior to us buying the house 17 years ago. I don't understand how these issues did not come up when we were buying the house. Now it feels like I have opened a huge can of worms. I have spent $700 on drawings and permit fees already and looks like will have to spent a lot more now.
I have a feeling that the original letter was nothing more than an "entrapment" by the town. Does it make sense to swallow a bitter pill and continue with this or take a loss? I do plan on getting the hell out of town in about 5 years and not sure if this will come back and bite me in the posterior then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-20-2018, 09:47 AM
 
Location: In the basket
10,164 posts, read 11,853,744 times
Reputation: 6418
I would've blown that off. Worry about it if it became an issue when you sell.
But, seems it's too late, you already exposed yourself to the town.
I'd still see if it can be blown off.
Either way, do not let anyone from the town in or on your property should they ask.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2018, 10:08 AM
 
Location: Massapequa
274 posts, read 182,948 times
Reputation: 355
Nobody from the town goes inside your house without a warrant. The TOB will not be able to claim an emergency. Before you spend more money I would contact an expeditor or possibility a lawyer and see if they can clean up this mess. Is your real estate attorney from the original sale still practicing? He/she should have caught this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2018, 10:34 AM
 
54 posts, read 39,893 times
Reputation: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagaroth View Post
Nobody from the town goes inside your house without a warrant. The TOB will not be able to claim an emergency. Before you spend more money I would contact an expeditor or possibility a lawyer and see if they can clean up this mess. Is your real estate attorney from the original sale still practicing? He/she should have caught this.
No idea if he is still practicing - this was 17 years ago. May have to look into an expeditor and see what others suggest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2018, 01:11 PM
 
5 posts, read 2,279 times
Reputation: 15
Welcome to Oyster Bay hell!!! Before you do anything I would talk to your real estate attorney, that should have been addressed when the house was sold. Seems like they are just drudging up stuff for more money. Sorry, wish I could help more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2018, 02:41 PM
 
15 posts, read 5,819 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarhead8286 View Post
At the end of last year I have received a letter from the Town of Oyster Bay, addressed to the previous owner of the house, titled "expired building permit". The letter informed that the amnesty program was expiring for an opportunity for the residents to close out building permit issues w/o any penalties. I went to the town hall to find out what permit they were referring to. Turns out that the permit for the deck in the back of the house had expired and was never issued a CO. I explained that after we bought the house, the deck was torn down and replaced by a paved ground-level patio with steps from the sliding back door. I was instructed to get a new survey with an architect's drawing showing the changes. I brought in the permit application for the changes with the survey and a drawing showing the changes. Weeks later I get a letter stating that application could not be processed due to lack of a plot plan. Furthermore, they said that after examining the survey and conducting a file search, it appears that the 2 bay windows and 3 skylights do not have a building permit. The same goes for A/C unit and a fence over 4' in height.
All the items listed were all added/installed prior to us buying the house 17 years ago. I don't understand how these issues did not come up when we were buying the house. Now it feels like I have opened a huge can of worms. I have spent $700 on drawings and permit fees already and looks like will have to spent a lot more now.
I have a feeling that the original letter was nothing more than an "entrapment" by the town. Does it make sense to swallow a bitter pill and continue with this or take a loss? I do plan on getting the hell out of town in about 5 years and not sure if this will come back and bite me in the posterior then.


What is the town saying in reference to the AC unit?
central air / split system? or just a regular window / thru the wall unit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2018, 10:28 AM
 
54 posts, read 39,893 times
Reputation: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by cenizo22 View Post
What is the town saying in reference to the AC unit?
central air / split system? or just a regular window / thru the wall unit?
It's a central a/c unit. Does that mean they would want to go inside the house to inspect and also look at the electrical?

This is what they wrote: "After examining the survey and conducting a file search, it appears that the A/C unit does not have a building permit."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2018, 10:30 AM
 
49 posts, read 19,652 times
Reputation: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarhead8286 View Post
It's a central a/c unit. Does that mean they would want to go inside the house to inspect and also look at the electrical?

This is what they wrote: "After examining the survey and conducting a file search, it appears that the A/C unit does not have a building permit."

Speak to an attorney...don't contact the town before you do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2018, 11:17 AM
 
Location: Kings Park & Jamesport
3,180 posts, read 8,730,984 times
Reputation: 1056
Ugh.....yeah I think you opened a can of worms.....I would have ignore the original letter.

Attorney and title should have caught this issue.

I would speak to a local expediter, they have a good feel for the building department.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2018, 01:08 PM
 
54 posts, read 39,893 times
Reputation: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
Ugh.....yeah I think you opened a can of worms.....I would have ignore the original letter.

Attorney and title should have caught this issue.

I would speak to a local expediter, they have a good feel for the building department.

Good luck!
I am such an idiot for trying to do the right thing - my wife is going to kill me! What if I ignore the whole thing now; will it come up to the top when we sell the house?

How do I go about locating a local expediter? Google search?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top