U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 08:00 PM

60 posts, read 44,354 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone... I wanted to get your thoughts of SD 14 HW... I keep hearing great things about it and wanted some confirmation. I am considering the move into that SD in the next few years. Examples of what i have heard : " not only is a top of the line SD by LI standards but also at the national level".... " majority of students end up in Ivies or something close"... " the preschool is pretty much a Manhattan Montessori"... Can you confirm the above? Is it really that elite of an education/worth the substantial tax increase?

Also my particular concerns regarding this district :

1. How competitive is it compared to north shore districts? Similarities/differences?

2. Any Diversity? I know its majority white, but is it "white diverse"? i.e. mainly Jewish or no?

3. If you have a motivated kid, are they actually at a disadvantage in a district like this due to the level of kids around them when it comes to college vs. a Valley Stream SD (intermediate SD) ? i.e. the whole big fish in a small pond concept

4. Or is the teaching and curriculum presented in a whole different way and on a different level than say an regular district? or am I looking at this in a wrong way?

As always thanks for your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2018, 08:21 PM

9,584 posts, read 11,162,807 times
Diversity is a government control tool.
And it's highly over rated. Move somewhere that works well for you.
As long as people are decent and accepting who cares what the demographics are.
People are getting way too hung up on the diversity thing.

Old 05-20-2018, 08:28 PM

2,748 posts, read 3,010,522 times
In reality, "diversity" (other than Asian) means that the district isn't good. Sad, but true. There are maybe 2-3 "diverse" districts on the island that are reputable.

Old 05-20-2018, 08:58 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,628,302 times
There's actually plenty of good-performing districts with sizable black and Hispanic populations on Long Island. Places like Baldwin, Malverne, Valley Stream and Elmont schools (as well as even more school systems out in Suffolk) have strong ratings but are bashed and talked down on mostly by outsiders so they struggle to maintain good reputations despite putting out good performance.

Check ratings like what's on greatschools, newsday and neighborhoodscout and you'll see ratings at and above 7/10, graduation rates over 90% and high AP participation rates for many of the diverse systems. Any basic amount of research will prove this.

Old 05-21-2018, 08:56 AM

689 posts, read 1,099,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g0dfather View Post
Hello everyone... I wanted to get your thoughts of SD 14 HW... I keep hearing great things about it and wanted some confirmation. I am considering the move into that SD in the next few years. Examples of what i have heard : " not only is a top of the line SD by LI standards but also at the national level".... " majority of students end up in Ivies or something close"... " the preschool is pretty much a Manhattan Montessori"... Can you confirm the above? Is it really that elite of an education/worth the substantial tax increase?

Also my particular concerns regarding this district :

1. How competitive is it compared to north shore districts? Similarities/differences?

2. Any Diversity? I know its majority white, but is it "white diverse"? i.e. mainly Jewish or no?

3. If you have a motivated kid, are they actually at a disadvantage in a district like this due to the level of kids around them when it comes to college vs. a Valley Stream SD (intermediate SD) ? i.e. the whole big fish in a small pond concept

4. Or is the teaching and curriculum presented in a whole different way and on a different level than say an regular district? or am I looking at this in a wrong way?

" not only is a top of the line SD by LI standards but also at the national level"
In Nassau there are only two SD that are top level in terms of outcomes (which colleges they get into) - they are Jericho and Manhasset, Great Neck is a close second, all the rest are the same.

" majority of students end up in Ivies or something close"
Demonstrably false. Go to the guidance section of the SD website and look up college acceptances.

" the preschool is pretty much a Manhattan Montessori"
Every Nassau SD that provides preschool is a "Manhattan Montessori"

As I said above, just as competitive as virtually every other Nassau SD.

Who cares.

No.

You are looking at this the wrong way. The SD are all very similar.

Old 05-21-2018, 10:38 AM

1,935 posts, read 2,127,213 times
Diversity is over-rated.

I moved from Brooklyn to LI to escape "diversity".

I don't need "diversity" beating up my kids because I value education more than the latest air jordans.

Old 05-21-2018, 11:09 AM

938 posts, read 489,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
Diversity is over-rated.

I don't need "diversity" beating up my kids because I value education more than the latest air jordans.
Yeah, cause there are no "Gucci Gangs" on Long Island.

Old 05-21-2018, 11:12 AM

52,622 posts, read 75,426,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
There's actually plenty of good-performing districts with sizable black and Hispanic populations on Long Island. Places like Baldwin, Malverne, Valley Stream and Elmont schools (as well as even more school systems out in Suffolk) have strong ratings but are bashed and talked down on mostly by outsiders so they struggle to maintain good reputations despite putting out good performance.

Check ratings like what's on greatschools, newsday and neighborhoodscout and you'll see ratings at and above 7/10, graduation rates over 90% and high AP participation rates for many of the diverse systems. Any basic amount of research will prove this.
^This and Half Hollow Hills, Elwood and Deer Park are a few in Suffolk County.

Old 05-21-2018, 12:05 PM

15,723 posts, read 23,949,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g0dfather View Post
l level".... " majority of students end up in Ivies or something close"... "
Any person with an ounce of common sense would see the problem with that statement...you're probably talking 300-400 kids in a high school class, and 150-200 go to an Ivy or something close? Not happening. Even at $25K private high schools that doesn't happen.

Old 05-21-2018, 12:38 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,628,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
Diversity is over-rated.

Getting beaten up over shoes is sure better than being attacked over the last syringe of heroin or fentanyl!

But seriously, its not realistic to lump the average kid from the projects of Brownsville/East New York with the average minority kid from a middle class and above household that can afford to pay $12k+ in taxes and a $400k+ mortgage.

And if you wanna truly escape diversity then you're better off moving to West Virginia lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or