U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 10:16 PM

9,038 posts, read 18,392,862 times

Advertisements

The question is:

What does the lease state?
Some leases are very specific with regard to who and how many people can live in the apartment. Read the lease and see if it covers that subject in detail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2018, 10:29 PM

16 posts, read 5,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reenzz View Post
You can not just move in whomever you want.

From what i have only read on multiple sites was that yes i can if the relationship is legal ( i was wondering how true that is) but anyway she is on the application anyway

Old 05-22-2018, 10:56 PM

9,038 posts, read 18,392,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher88 View Post
From what i have only read on multiple sites was that yes i can if the relationship is legal ( i was wondering how true that is) but anyway she is on the application anyway
What does the lease state with regard to who and how many people can live in the apartment? The application is not a contract - the lease is.

Old 05-22-2018, 11:12 PM

6,128 posts, read 3,334,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
What does the lease state with regard to who and how many people can live in the apartment? The application is not a contract - the lease is.
A contract which may not be enforceable as the rental is not legal.

Old 05-22-2018, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
The question is:

What does the lease state?
Some leases are very specific with regard to who and how many people can live in the apartment. Read the lease and see if it covers that subject in detail.

The lease does not state how many people will be living there but it only says how much a month , the term, that i did pay the brokers fee,

Also as i said the broker said she made a mistake by not being clear with the landlord

Old 05-23-2018, 12:02 AM

1,487 posts, read 1,404,643 times
Unless your wife signed the lease, she can not live there without the landlords permission.

Old 05-23-2018, 12:15 AM

How can i tell the broker there will be 4 people moving in she said great fill out this application ( only space for 2 people's info ,ss number, past rental history so forth) and just a simple section of other living there name and age and relationship to the person said above

And she said only two people need to sign the lease, lease only says that we are the ones responsible to pay for the rent and damages and who received the credit check

So how is this my fault that the landlord and broker had a misunderstanding? Im the one who paid this broker one months rent to make a mistake? And the fact she sold me an illegal apartment?

Last edited by Christopher88; 05-23-2018 at 12:47 AM..

Old 05-23-2018, 01:10 AM

757 posts, read 609,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher88 View Post
)
What i also found out was that this apartment is illegal and it is not just the owners house it is shared with his other brother who moved so i am guessing something happened as we were the first renters of his house, so im thinking something else is going on here
Two brothers purchasing a house together is more normal then a married couple leasing an apt with two other adults. You’re over thinking it now.

You’ve got a lot of ‘right’ on your side now. I think you’re going to get out of this bad situation on fair terms. Don’t start complicating things by talking about the LLs brother. Most of the rentals here are illegal, it doesn’t mean a whole lot in court.

Old 05-23-2018, 06:10 AM

467 posts, read 245,576 times
I find it funny that even the real estate person here isn't telling the op that the broker cannot collect fees on illegal units and you can report him and entitled to your fee back

Old 05-23-2018, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Starwind View Post
I find it funny that even the real estate person here isn't telling the op that the broker cannot collect fees on illegal units and you can report him and entitled to your fee back
Agree, also i talked with the manager she told me the landlord is willing to give me my money back and some time to move ( i asked how much money and including the broker fee) she said i need to speak with them first thats where i am at now

The manager of my broker was siding with the landlord aswell ,telling me its just because the landlord is worried about the cost if utilities and that in my next apartment i should ask for a 4 br..lol

I just hope they do the Right thing for me that is all

Last edited by Christopher88; 05-23-2018 at 08:54 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island