U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 10:27 AM

3 posts, read 2,905 times

Advertisements

Hi, fellow LI'ers!

My wife and I decided to give the US a try and moved from the Caribbean to NY back in September (legally).

We established quickly and both of us got pretty decent jobs within the first months. We moved with some relatives to Bay Shore, which in my opinion is a good area. We love Main St, the Malls, gyms, and all of the restaurants are less than 2 miles away from us. We are living in an apartment complex, for the most part, it has been OK (the occasional Marijuana smell in the stairs is a bit of a problem).

My wife was not a fan of last winter, but cold it's not a big deal for me. We've traveled to vineyards in the east a couple of times, and visited a few towns (Port Jefferson Village is one of our top favorites). Overall, this suburb experience has suited us very well, and we just feel great here. We are not fans of NYC, we feel is just too claustrophobic, and there are too many people, not mentioning everything is more expensive than here (here is expensive enough), heck, I'd rather go to the Citi field 100 times before I go to the Yankee stadium again.

Our lease is about to end and we've decided to move by ourselves since we are not used to living with other people. Since we don't have a big experience living in this area, I thought about reaching to my fellow Long Islanders on good areas to live.

We are currently working in the Garden City area and in Melville, and we are thinking about a place that has access to both of our works. Bay Shore is definitely an option, but I would like to know about other areas. We'd like to live near the water and a town like the one in Port Jefferson, and obviously, it needs to fit our budget (<1800 for a 1 bedroom apt)

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2018, 11:32 AM

689 posts, read 1,100,496 times
Try Sea Cliff/Glen Head. Good luck!

Old 05-22-2018, 12:55 PM

Thanks, will take a look at those areas ! How about Huntington? Is that a good area ?

Thanks

Old 05-22-2018, 12:58 PM

8,141 posts, read 12,513,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinezlj View Post
Hi, fellow LI'ers!

My wife and I decided to give the US a try and moved from the Caribbean to NY back in September (legally).

We established quickly and both of us got pretty decent jobs within the first months. We moved with some relatives to Bay Shore, which in my opinion is a good area. We love Main St, the Malls, gyms, and all of the restaurants are less than 2 miles away from us. We are living in an apartment complex, for the most part, it has been OK (the occasional Marijuana smell in the stairs is a bit of a problem).

My wife was not a fan of last winter, but cold it's not a big deal for me. We've traveled to vineyards in the east a couple of times, and visited a few towns (Port Jefferson Village is one of our top favorites). Overall, this suburb experience has suited us very well, and we just feel great here. We are not fans of NYC, we feel is just too claustrophobic, and there are too many people, not mentioning everything is more expensive than here (here is expensive enough), heck, I'd rather go to the Citi field 100 times before I go to the Yankee stadium again.

Our lease is about to end and we've decided to move by ourselves since we are not used to living with other people. Since we don't have a big experience living in this area, I thought about reaching to my fellow Long Islanders on good areas to live.

We are currently working in the Garden City area and in Melville, and we are thinking about a place that has access to both of our works. Bay Shore is definitely an option, but I would like to know about other areas. We'd like to live near the water and a town like the one in Port Jefferson, and obviously, it needs to fit our budget (<1800 for a 1 bedroom apt)

Thanks
Port Jefferson, while nice, would be a long commute to work in both Garden City & Melville.

Old 05-22-2018, 01:03 PM

1,935 posts, read 2,129,903 times
Hey OP, glad you like it here. A lot of LI negativity in this site (mostly 1st world problem type stuff, and I'm guilty of whining about as anyone else), but overall there are a lot worse places you can live then here.

Old 05-22-2018, 04:41 PM

9,585 posts, read 11,177,859 times
Bayshore. Islip. Anything in that area is ok.

Old 05-23-2018, 06:12 AM

Thanks for your suggestions.

I've noticed some of that negativity in some of the threads, I guess if you live enough in a place you start noticing everything that's wrong in your environment, and things that change with time.

Old 05-23-2018, 06:28 AM

1,481 posts, read 2,709,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
Hey OP, glad you like it here. A lot of LI negativity in this site (mostly 1st world problem type stuff, and I'm guilty of whining about as anyone else), but overall there are a lot worse places you can live then here.
We ALL complain, but we ALL stay. Those who leave still visit on this forum because they canít let go.

Old 05-23-2018, 07:38 AM

8,141 posts, read 12,513,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky25 View Post
We ALL complain, but we ALL stay. Those who leave still visit on this forum because they canít let go.
So true.

LI isn't for everyone but there's so much great things here .. it's not the cheapest but I stay because everything and everyone I love is here.

I can get NYC, beaches, wineries, Montauk, fishing, skiing, hiking .. everything within a 2hr drive that I ever want to do.

There's a toughness about people in this area, as well as a 'keeping up with the joneses' mentality in certain areas (looking @ you, Plainview) - but inside we're just a bunch of sappy ol' teddy bears.

I've been here my whole life and really the people are what make it. The lifers are really the best b/c they are truly passionate about all that LI is.

We're not perfect but we're pretty great. I've been all over the country and the world, and we are very lucky to be able live here.

Old 05-23-2018, 08:19 AM

89 posts, read 105,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinezlj View Post
Thanks, will take a look at those areas ! How about Huntington? Is that a good area ?

Thanks
"Huntington" as a town is a very large area. There are some very wealthy areas, many "middle" class areas and some areas that are quite run down and sketchy.

Huntington village is great. and there a lot of new apartments there (but I don't know how much they go for).

Huntington station is relatively affordable but parts of that area can be a bit dicey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or