U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2018, 02:00 PM

3 posts, read 1,718 times

Advertisements

just bought a nice house and got a letter in the mail letting me know the two family permit was due for renewal. now im a little confused on whether i should just renew or if i can opt for the mother/daugther permit. im living on the first floor and my daughter on the second. we have no plans to rent either floor to anyone. are there any cost savings as far as this renewal fee goes or maybe taxes for either of these permits?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2018, 02:04 PM

3,198 posts, read 8,105,436 times
If you have a choice, go for the two family permit as it is less restrictive. You never know what the future brings.

Old 05-24-2018, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
If you have a choice, go for the two family permit as it is less restrictive. You never know what the future brings.
what type of restrictions are there between the 2 permits? other than fees are there any tax differences?

Old 05-24-2018, 02:16 PM

3,198 posts, read 8,105,436 times
I don't live in the town so I don't know the finer points. But a two family probably let's you rent to an unrelated party. It may even let you rent out both units. You should probably call the town for clarification. No need to give your address.

Old 05-25-2018, 03:50 AM

2,420 posts, read 4,192,998 times
You'll have to call the town for full clarification, but typically a MD suite is an accessory apartment that can only be occupied while you live in the home. If you move out or sell the home, the permit automatically expires.

A home with a two family permit can typically be fully rented out. If you wanted to move away, you could keep the house and rent out both units. It would also make it a more attractive home to an investor.

I wouldn't be surprised if you taxes went up higher if the home gets two family status, though.

Old 05-25-2018, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post
You'll have to call the town for full clarification, but typically a MD suite is an accessory apartment that can only be occupied while you live in the home. If you move out or sell the home, the permit automatically expires.

A home with a two family permit can typically be fully rented out. If you wanted to move away, you could keep the house and rent out both units. It would also make it a more attractive home to an investor.

I wouldn't be surprised if you taxes went up higher if the home gets two family status, though.
we bought it as a two family house. the permit renewal arrived so i was just wondering if i should renew the two family permit or opt for the mother/daughter permit instead. so would a renewal cause possible tax increase?

Old 05-26-2018, 03:07 PM

757 posts, read 605,760 times
If you give up the 2family permit, how hard and expensive would it be to get it back. I think it’s crazy to give up a multi family permit. That’s potential future income.

Old 05-29-2018, 04:54 AM

2,420 posts, read 4,192,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmer19 View Post
we bought it as a two family house. the permit renewal arrived so i was just wondering if i should renew the two family permit or opt for the mother/daughter permit instead. so would a renewal cause possible tax increase?
If the home is already legally a two family, and you're just renewing the permit, then I doubt it would have a big effect on your taxes.

Old 05-29-2018, 06:05 AM

3,114 posts, read 8,493,407 times
Doubt it would affect your current taxes as they should already reflect the 2 family status.

Good point on the value of a legal 2 family.

I thought that M/D taxes were less but I could be wrong.

Old 06-11-2018, 07:49 PM

5 posts, read 1,856 times
Go with the two family. It will make the house worth more money. M/D permits are not transferable from what i understand and the 2nd kitchen would have to be removed when the title changes hands.. The 2 family stays with the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island