U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2018, 08:48 AM

1,638 posts, read 1,273,412 times

Advertisements

We're in Bellmore. The kids walk to the corner store, the library, the movie theater, diners....

As long as they aren't crossing Sunrise it isn't bad.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2018, 11:12 AM

7,574 posts, read 8,000,657 times
Yeah, in Suffolk County, things are more spread out. In Nassau, things are more on top of each other making it easier to walk or bike some place. Again really, depends on the location of your house. I think it's easier to bike on Long Island, even the North Shore, because it's less hilly than most of Bergen County. Bergen County really has a lot of parts that look more like Queens and unlike Long Island, has high-rise apartment buildings.

Old 05-27-2018, 08:23 PM

1,125 posts, read 2,986,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpotato View Post
Yikes. Okay. How dare I ask for a town with some sort of Asian population?
Anyway...
It looks like I can't find it all but am interested in hearing descriptions of towns where kids can walk/bike to at least a store or two. Came across these towns in my research, would anyone mind giving input on what any of them are like?
Northport
Centerport
Huntington
Greenlawn
Babylon
Since we live here in Huntington (north of the village), I can give you a very accurate description of what biking here is about: Only people with a death wish bike here. You would truly be taking your life in your hands by trusting the terrible, unsafe drivers who don't care about pedestrians nor bicyclists. Some of them shouldn't be driving since they don't see well. Some of them are drunk and/or high. And drivers here fly by as fast as they can always in a rush - in parking lots, side streets, main roads. There is plenty of driving congestion and plenty of traffic. Biking in neighborhoods should be okay, but biking into the Village - not. And it's illegal to bike on the sidewalks.

There are no biking lanes that I know of in Huntington Village, Northport or Centerport.

The driving here is my biggest gripe about living here. I've had so many close calls in town while driving with crazy people who don't know the rules of the road - or don't care - people who cut in illegally at the rotaries causing problems, etc. We have a bunch of crazy, risk-taking, disrespectful people driving here with their cell phones in their laps particularly at red lights who pay no attention to when the light changes to green, they make illegal U-turns on 25A in the village, they drive on one-way streets the wrong way, etc. I truly believe they wouldn't care if they hit and killed someone whether it's in a parking lot or on a road. And the driving congestion is as dense as it is in Queens. I try to avoid driving in the Village as much as possible and park on the outside of the Village.

That being said, Huntington is a very walkable town; but you do have to be careful crossing the streets because of the poor driving. We have many stores, and by my estimation at least 55+ restaurants downtown. Parking is a problem in the municipal lots because of the growing congestion from the new apartment buildings going up downtown. Those tenants have to park somewhere and end up using the municipal lots. Then there are the day trippers who come from all over LI and jam up the parking lots almost every evening of the week and during the day too.

School District #3 is so-so; there are better. Because of the Spanish speaking population the district only hires bilingual teachers (Spanish/English). Before we moved here we made sure my son finished his public school education out in Stony Brook in Three Village SD.

If you'd like to live near Huntington without SD #3, I'd look in the Harborfields school district, particularly in the area that's called Salem Ridge, as well as the area down Greenlawn Road including Cherry Lane and other roads spurring off of Greenlawn Road. They have Huntington addresses but are in the Harborfields SD. That would put you outside of Huntington Village by about a 5-minute drive. In the other direction west of Huntington is Cold Spring Harbor containing a very good school district, a charming small village, and about a 2-minute ride to Huntington Village. Again, not biker friendly at all.

Northport (part of your list) and Centerport - same thing. Biking is okay in neighborhoods, not okay anywhere else. Too many cars. Narrow roads. Congestion. Drivers don't expect bicycles, and there are rarely any.

You don't say what your budget for housing is. That will make a huge difference in where you will end up living.

Overall, other than biking in a neighborhood, I'd say biking is off limits to both kids and adults. Drivers here don't expect bikers on the roads, there's really no room for them, and way too many people drive their vehicles badly. I don't think they realize their vehicles are like a gun - they can kill someone with them.

Hope this fills in a few gaps.

Last edited by AndreaII; 05-27-2018 at 08:34 PM..

Old 05-27-2018, 08:57 PM

6,128 posts, read 3,329,551 times
Quote:
Yikes. Okay. How dare I ask for a town with some sort of Asian population?
Anyway...
It looks like I can't find it all but am interested in hearing descriptions of towns where kids can walk/bike to at least a store or two. Came across these towns in my research, would anyone mind giving input on what any of them are like?
Northport
Centerport
Huntington
Greenlawn
Babylon
Merrick
Bellmore
Wantagh
Seaford

Old 05-28-2018, 08:25 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,860,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaII View Post
Since we live here in Huntington (north of the village), I can give you a very accurate description of what biking here is about: Only people with a death wish bike here. You would truly be taking your life in your hands by trusting the terrible, unsafe drivers who don't care about pedestrians nor bicyclists. Some of them shouldn't be driving since they don't see well. Some of them are drunk and/or high. And drivers here fly by as fast as they can always in a rush - in parking lots, side streets, main roads. There is plenty of driving congestion and plenty of traffic. Biking in neighborhoods should be okay, but biking into the Village - not. And it's illegal to bike on the sidewalks.

There are no biking lanes that I know of in Huntington Village, Northport or Centerport.

The driving here is my biggest gripe about living here. I've had so many close calls in town while driving with crazy people who don't know the rules of the road - or don't care - people who cut in illegally at the rotaries causing problems, etc. We have a bunch of crazy, risk-taking, disrespectful people driving here with their cell phones in their laps particularly at red lights who pay no attention to when the light changes to green, they make illegal U-turns on 25A in the village, they drive on one-way streets the wrong way, etc. I truly believe they wouldn't care if they hit and killed someone whether it's in a parking lot or on a road. And the driving congestion is as dense as it is in Queens. I try to avoid driving in the Village as much as possible and park on the outside of the Village.

That being said, Huntington is a very walkable town; but you do have to be careful crossing the streets because of the poor driving. We have many stores, and by my estimation at least 55+ restaurants downtown. Parking is a problem in the municipal lots because of the growing congestion from the new apartment buildings going up downtown. Those tenants have to park somewhere and end up using the municipal lots. Then there are the day trippers who come from all over LI and jam up the parking lots almost every evening of the week and during the day too.
I see near-misses almost every day in the newish pedestrian crossing lanes up near the Paramount. Walkers seem to trust that cars will yield to them (as they should) in the crossing zone - they don't. The drivers are probably ticked off that they've had to stop-and-go up 25A and weave around double parkers just to go south on New York Avenue...by this point they could give two hoots about pedestrian crossings.

After ten years of accidents the drivers still haven't grasped the idea (or read and understood the signs) that those within the rotary/roundabout have right-of-way. But that is a North of 25A issue I'll save for another rant.

While there are many restaurants (and frequent openings and closings) in the Village I would give it very low grades for appearance, parking, and walkability.

Last edited by Quick Commenter; 05-28-2018 at 08:49 AM..

Old 05-28-2018, 07:25 PM

68 posts, read 31,155 times
Quote:
Hi, my family will need to relocate to Long Island within the next year. We currently live in a small town where my older kids can walk/bike to locations on their own (library, playground, school, stores). I was leaning towards Dix Hills on "paper" because I liked a lot of its stats, but driving through the area yesterday I could see it's not very walkable to anything. Can anyone recommend towns where kids can bike to places safely on their own? My kids are used to having a lot of independent mobility. Would like good schools, housing prices more like Dix Hills than Jericho, and a decent Asian population (preferably at least 10%). My husband will be working in the North Hempstead area. Thanks in advance!
Hi SweetPotato..

I grew up in Dix Hills...and it is an awesome place to raise a family/send your kids to school. You will be surrounded by a diverse, intelligent, professional population that has a culture of achievement. There is a significant Asian population. My two best friends were Asian and African-American, and both went to top universities. Half Hollow Hills is an amazing school district. The only thing missing is a downtown and anywhere of interest that is bike-able (realistically) from home. If you're in a quiet neighborhood, there are plenty of miles to safely bike if you plan the route properly, just for the fun of it. Of course, depending on your tolerance of risk, you could bike to commercial areas, but I certainly wouldn't (and I mountain bike, and bike occasionally on the road in quiet areas). The only slight downside, if anything, in Dix Hills, is the occasionally "snobby" person. Granted, I am now in a more "blue collar" town, but it has its own variety of snobbiness (based on race). I long for Dix Hills at times for the intellectual stimulation, school district, quiet streets, etc... I was spoiled as a kid and though most of Long Island must be like this, and never understood when I'd hear other people complain that Long Island was ignorant, racist, a cultural wasteland (vs the city), etc.

Stony Brook also may be an option..significant Asian population, more bike-able than Dix Hills if you are near the (absolutely beautiful) village. Stony Brook village is probably one of my favorite places on Long Island. You have a similar intellectual/high achieving/progressive type culture to that of Dix Hills due to the proximity to the university. (I'm talking specifically about the area that is close to the village center.) This may be a problem for you commute-wise, though.

Old 05-29-2018, 08:13 AM

16,685 posts, read 27,933,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isles08 View Post
Stony Brook also may be an option..significant Asian population, more bike-able than Dix Hills if you are near the (absolutely beautiful) village. Stony Brook village is probably one of my favorite places on Long Island. You have a similar intellectual/high achieving/progressive type culture to that of Dix Hills due to the proximity to the university. (I'm talking specifically about the area that is close to the village center.) This may be a problem for you commute-wise, though.

While the area does meet a lot of sweetpotato's needs, you're right, the commute could be problematic.
(I had missed the commute location when I replied Stony Brook on the thread.) From the Village area, it takes (without traffic) 40 minutes or so to reach the Round Swamp Rd exit on the LIE. North Hempstead. North Hempstead, Garden City is an hour on a good day without traffic.

Old 05-30-2018, 01:28 AM

191 posts, read 473,907 times
Thank you isles08! I really like the Half Hollow schools and wonder if I'd regret not sending my kids there if we choose otherwise. I think it would be a setting for the best HS experience for my kids in terms of finding their niche, so I'll definitely look at listings there.

I'm also thinking of looking for a house that's bikable to either (I've never seen these streets so don't know what they're really like):
Main St., Northport
Broadway, Greenlawn
Larkfield Ave., East Northport

It's scary to move. My town definitely has the downsides that come with being a really small, quiet town, but what I love most is that kids here bike everywhere on their own - park/playground, library and our measly "downtown". They can go somewhere easily if I'm occupied at home and I can send them out of the house if I want them out lol.

Last edited by sweetpotato; 05-30-2018 at 01:29 AM.. Reason: Remove some info

Old 05-30-2018, 10:34 AM

8,140 posts, read 12,528,557 times
Long Beach is bikeable but it comes with limitations ... parking is horrible, schools are mediocre and it's far from everything ... the upside is you can also bike to the beach.

Old 05-30-2018, 10:49 AM

150 posts, read 284,503 times
Consider the village of Floral Park, particularly the West End section.

This West End neighborhood is surrounded on two sides by Belmont Park and on a third side by the LIRR, with road access to the West End from just one side of the neighborhood. The streets have sidewalks and car traffic is low, making the neighborhood ideal for walking and children's biking.

A good pre-K to grade 6 public elementary school, Floral Park-Bellerose School, is located in the neighborhood, and the school grounds have acres of sports fields and a small playground. The school's population is roughly 15% Asian and Floral Park village's population overall is around 8% Asian.

Tulip Avenue, a traditional high street with many shops, and the Floral Park Public Library are located within walking distance of the West End, and these locations are safe for children to walk or bike to evidenced by the number of local children, ages 10 to teenagers, visiting the library and the stores.

The entire West End neighborhood is within a 10 minute walk to at least one of two LIRR stations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or