U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-30-2018, 10:44 AM
 
Location: Northern California
404 posts, read 1,292,194 times
Reputation: 154

Advertisements

Thanks for the suggestions and advice...…

I like the idea of leaving the car in New Jersey and finding a Hotel/Motel in the city. I'll make another post in Manhattan / NYC forum and see where that goes..

Thanks LeeB
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-30-2018, 01:32 PM
 
1,935 posts, read 3,526,747 times
Reputation: 1058
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeB View Post
Thanks for the suggestions and advice...

I like the idea of leaving the car in New Jersey and finding a Hotel/Motel in the city. I'll make another post in Manhattan / NYC forum and see where that goes..

Thanks LeeB
Exactly, all the other suggestions were dumb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2018, 09:46 AM
 
125 posts, read 152,273 times
Reputation: 37
i'm just gonna ramble here...
NYC is to big to explore for a small trip. And even some of the good parts of it you'll never know because it's not the typical tourist spot.

I would really research your trip and do some of the things you can't do back home. some people chase the broadway shows a lot. The buildings and stuff you can see just by walking around. Some people go for a helicopter ride where you can see the entire city from above. that would save time and give a different perspective. if you are into it, you can visit the trade center/freedom tower area. it's actually nice in the area by the west side. rent a citi bike and ride on the west side bike paths. the sun usually sets on that side.

brooklyn and astoria (queens) also have nice areas if you want to venture to some of them but it requires more planning. brooklyn is huge.

you might want to study up the NY subway system. stay way from cabs because NYC has a lot of traffic and you will go broke spending money on cabs. plus they have a lot of BS surcharges.

midtown is very touristy, downtown has some realness to it and there are some great unique food and shopping down there without the "disney" effect of midtown. uptown i haven't really ventured to but i has museums and more upscale quiet life for the people that live up there. sometimes when i drive around and i end up uptown, it seems like a nicer and less volume of people

you also have central park which i just tremendous...grab a bike again.

all the big box franchise stores are in midtown, 5th avenue, madison, lexington, and then more of it downtown and uptown.

one thing that's always available is shopping and eating. any cuisine you can think of. make sure you eat real NY style pizza. Justino's on 10th avenue/between 57th and 58th is my spot. stay away from chain pizza palors because they aren't the real thing.

NY style bagels are also a must. alot of that genuine stuff you will find downtown.

enjoy! and don't give anyone money. all those panhandlers prey on visitors

last thing...October has the best NY weather! the heat is still present but the humidity is gone. nice sweatshirt evenings
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2018, 10:17 AM
 
Location: Miraflores
744 posts, read 829,323 times
Reputation: 1436
I am coming up from Peru fo a couple of weeks with my family. I will have a SUV so we rented a airbnb (with parking) a few blocks from the Staten Island ferry. It is free and takes 30 min to get downtown and since it is on every ones to do list anyway it works out great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2018, 10:25 AM
 
8,141 posts, read 12,513,449 times
Reputation: 3954
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpineprince View Post
I am coming up from Peru fo a couple of weeks with my family. I will have a SUV so we rented a airbnb (with parking) a few blocks from the Staten Island ferry. It is free and takes 30 min to get downtown and since it is on every ones to do list anyway it works out great.
The ferry is cool but Staten Island in general is pretty inconvenient. The only way to get to the city is the ferry or drive. They don't have subways or trains off the island.


The ferry brings you all the way downtown by Wall Street. It's not that convenient if you want to see Midtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2018, 02:18 PM
 
Location: Miraflores
744 posts, read 829,323 times
Reputation: 1436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
The ferry is cool but Staten Island in general is pretty inconvenient. The only way to get to the city is the ferry or drive. They don't have subways or trains off the island.


The ferry brings you all the way downtown by Wall Street. It's not that convenient if you want to see Midtown.
I lived in and around NYC (for 50 years) so I can't argue with you. Staten Island is "Flyover country". On the upside there is free parking, the ferry is free and takes you past Statue of Liberty, you see the VN bridge and coming back at night the NY skyline. If you stay in the St George area you can walk to the ferry, once you leave you do not have to fight traffic ( we will drive down to D.C. after, only four hours) and where else can you get a "S.I. Vodka Pie"!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2018, 08:59 AM
 
Location: Northern California
404 posts, read 1,292,194 times
Reputation: 154
Thank you all so much for your tips and tricks, we will for sure be visiting just not sure where we will stay. Our son is stationed at McGuire AFB and he suggested we look at a Airbnb. He said we can park our car at his place a take a train into NYC.

I know nothing about Airbnb or the train system (He may know)…..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2018, 09:06 AM
 
8,141 posts, read 12,513,449 times
Reputation: 3954
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeB View Post
Thank you all so much for your tips and tricks, we will for sure be visiting just not sure where we will stay. Our son is stationed at McGuire AFB and he suggested we look at a Airbnb. He said we can park our car at his place a take a train into NYC.

I know nothing about Airbnb or the train system (He may know)..
I googled McGuire AFB ... it's pretty far from NYC ... driving is 1hr 26m ... 3hrs on a bus ... not sure about trains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2018, 03:34 PM
 
Location: Northern California
404 posts, read 1,292,194 times
Reputation: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I googled McGuire AFB ... it's pretty far from NYC ... driving is 1hr 26m ... 3hrs on a bus ... not sure about trains.
I talked to him today and he is willing to drive (Leaving our car at his place) us to a Train and pick us up after we do our site seeing in NYC....


Does anyone know anything about Airbrb? We would be staying a week, if all works out...


LeeB
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2018, 03:44 PM
 
8,141 posts, read 12,513,449 times
Reputation: 3954
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeB View Post
I talked to him today and he is willing to drive (Leaving our car at his place) us to a Train and pick us up after we do our site seeing in NYC....


Does anyone know anything about Airbrb? We would be staying a week, if all works out...


LeeB
If you get an airbnb it might have parking - find out - cuz then you could leave your car @ the airbnb at night & just drive to the train station to go sightsee. I would get an airbnb close to a train. Find out the parking restrictions as well @ the station b/c some places on LI if you are not resident of the town you can't park during certain hours during the week ... I wager you are staying in NJ then?


Post this in the NJ forum too. They would know a good area to stay in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top