U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 11:12 AM

13 posts, read 18,480 times

Advertisements

I am looking to move to Long Island. want to be on North shore, from Huntington to Mount Sinai area. North side of LIE. Looked into Huntington but taxes are very expensive for a latter model home. Noticed some lower taxes in Farmingville but not Mount Sinai. Any area that receive special status for reduced taxes like a county seat? No kids so school not important
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2018, 11:40 AM

50 posts, read 31,253 times
Why move to LI if no kids? If schools not a factor there are less expensive places to live. Costs will depend on school district you are in.

Old 05-30-2018, 11:43 AM

8,141 posts, read 12,506,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirios View Post
Why move to LI if no kids? If schools not a factor there are less expensive places to live. Costs will depend on school district you are in.
Many people live & move to LI without kids...

Old 05-30-2018, 12:13 PM

50 posts, read 31,253 times
Of course, but your real estate tax costs will depend on the school district, whether you have kids or not.

Old 05-30-2018, 12:36 PM

8,141 posts, read 12,506,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirios View Post
Of course, but your real estate tax costs will depend on the school district, whether you have kids or not.
Yes, but you can file for STAR. It's not that bad.

Sure, there are 'cheaper' places to live ... you can live super cheaply in IN, MN ... but compare that to what we have here in the NYC metro area, and it doesn't even come close.

Old 05-30-2018, 01:11 PM

2,506 posts, read 6,005,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
but compare that to what we have here in the NYC metro area, and it doesn't even come close.
Correct ! That is the subject of the thread.... sorry, busting your chops !!

OP...
you will have to find pockets where taxes are low (does not necessarily mean bad schools, schools can be real bad and still have high taxes).... unfortunately 75-80% of taxes are for schools. Good luck !!

Old 05-30-2018, 01:13 PM

13 posts, read 18,480 times
I like to fish/boat the Long Island Sound, originally wanted only to live in Huntington for this reason. But
could drive from other areas further east to Huntington and then have shorter distance if I decided to boat out of Greenport north Fork areas. Have family in Queens, so for now still need a NY presence. Perhaps in future will move to CT and drive boat to LI side to fish. Problem is I don't think with the new tax bill, it is looking good for home appreciation on LI. So I'm looking for modest taxes 10-12k. so I have something sellable when I leave.

Old 05-30-2018, 03:22 PM

9,585 posts, read 11,167,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Yes, but you can file for STAR. It's not that bad.

Sure, there are 'cheaper' places to live ... you can live super cheaply in IN, MN ... but compare that to what we have here in the NYC metro area, and it doesn't even come close.
The only thing NY has that they don't have are salt water beaches.

Old 05-30-2018, 05:51 PM

9,038 posts, read 18,355,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray64 View Post
I like to fish/boat the Long Island Sound, originally wanted only to live in Huntington for this reason. But
could drive from other areas further east to Huntington and then have shorter distance if I decided to boat out of Greenport north Fork areas. Have family in Queens, so for now still need a NY presence. Perhaps in future will move to CT and drive boat to LI side to fish. Problem is I don't think with the new tax bill, it is looking good for home appreciation on LI. So I'm looking for modest taxes 10-12k. so I have something sellable when I leave.

Don't know what your price point is, but there's a possibility in Kings Park (often overlooked yet generally low taxes), and also one in Smithtown. Want a link?

Old 05-30-2018, 07:51 PM

1,125 posts, read 2,982,258 times
Northport - people there get a break from the PSEG plant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or