Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2018, 08:28 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,328,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJS Alex View Post
Hahaha.. YouTube university. I had to pay thousands when they removed my appendix. I should have just watched some YouTube and done it myself.
Come on you can't compare the 2. It's a 5x8 rectangle bathroom with no curves. The only annoying part will be making sure he set's the tile level and properly around the toilet flange. If the walls are in good shape no reason to tear down the rock. I crimp but any one can do pex work with sharkbite these days. I totally understand why it costs 16k to do a 5x8 with some practice anyone can tile a floor, a shower and the walls I are more challenging for a novice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2018, 06:54 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,542,584 times
I thought I knew how to install tile until I had a professional tiler work in my bathrooms and hallway. Night and day.......no comparison. There is a lot of things people can do themselves, I think tiling is not one of them.

I spot DIY'er jobs a mile away.....typically marginal work at best.

As far as PEX and Sharkbite comment.......ehhh. It may work but is it correct?

Problem with a little information is that you still don't know what you don't know!

Old 06-02-2018, 08:41 AM

215 posts, read 248,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
Don't be knocking youtube. It's a wealth of valuable information. I've learned so much and saved thousands doing the work myself.
Definitely not knocking - I've learned how to do tons of stuff from YouTube.

Just not comfortable using it to make structural repairs to my home...

Old 06-04-2018, 04:39 AM

345 posts, read 338,784 times
The hardest part about DIYing anything in an old house is that there are no 90 degree angles, all your walls are crooked, nothing is level, etc. I'm just about done with my small 1/2 bath reno (55"x60") and redid the chair rail on one of the walls twice because I wasn't happy with how it was lining up, but got the same result both time measuring 100x and cutting down a little by a little until it fit. Nope, walls are crooked and thats just the way it is. Do your best, caulk the rest. Sure, I can spot my imperfections and so can a pro, but all that matters is that I'm satisfied with my job and of course that the wife is happy. I don't sweat the small stuff because it isn't worth the $10k extra in cost to us. When it's all done I think I'll be $1500-2000 max (depending on the faucet, cabinet hardware, etc) and that's all new everything except drywall.. mosaic marble tile floor, mid-range home depot vanity w a marble top, etc.

And sharkbites? Those scare me. Maybe in a spot where it's permanently accessible and won't cause a lot of damage if it starts leak down the road. Soldering copper pipe isn't hard to learn, and if you mess it up you know immediately and can re-do it.

Old 06-04-2018, 06:11 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,542,584 times
"Do your best, caulk the rest."

Classic!

Old 06-04-2018, 06:30 AM

2,045 posts, read 1,889,942 times
/\ I enjoyed the part where he wrote “did whole bath except Sheetrock “! In other words lipstick on a pig.

Old 06-04-2018, 06:46 AM

2,605 posts, read 3,401,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
I thought I knew how to install tile until I had a professional tiler work in my bathrooms and hallway. Night and day.......no comparison. There is a lot of things people can do themselves, I think tiling is not one of them.

I spot DIY'er jobs a mile away.....typically marginal work at best.

As far as PEX and Sharkbite comment.......ehhh. It may work but is it correct?

Problem with a little information is that you still don't know what you don't know!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1174Sixer View Post
Definitely not knocking - I've learned how to do tons of stuff from YouTube.

Just not comfortable using it to make structural repairs to my home...
You both might have a point about diy on a project like this. Especially the tile work as kb suggested. I can't imagine the world of emotional pain I will get from my wife if I were to take all the time to do a project like this and have it look like crap. There will be hell to pay. And if it ever leaked...... Forget it.

Old 06-04-2018, 06:48 AM

2,605 posts, read 3,401,968 times
Quote:

Classic!
I lol'ed to that as well.

Old 06-04-2018, 06:57 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times
Quote:

Classic!
That was today's winning quote.

Old 06-04-2018, 07:00 AM

3,520 posts, read 5,702,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
/\ I enjoyed the part where he wrote “did whole bath except Sheetrock “! In other words lipstick on a pig.

Not ripping down sheet rock on an old bathroom and replacing it is definately cheaping out
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: