U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 08:12 AM

741 posts, read 482,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm3846 View Post
The hardest part about DIYing anything in an old house is that there are no 90 degree angles, all your walls are crooked, nothing is level, etc. I'm just about done with my small 1/2 bath reno (55"x60") and redid the chair rail on one of the walls twice because I wasn't happy with how it was lining up, but got the same result both time measuring 100x and cutting down a little by a little until it fit. Nope, walls are crooked and thats just the way it is. Do your best, caulk the rest. Sure, I can spot my imperfections and so can a pro, but all that matters is that I'm satisfied with my job and of course that the wife is happy. I don't sweat the small stuff because it isn't worth the $10k extra in cost to us. When it's all done I think I'll be $1500-2000 max (depending on the faucet, cabinet hardware, etc) and that's all new everything except drywall.. mosaic marble tile floor, mid-range home depot vanity w a marble top, etc.

And sharkbites? Those scare me. Maybe in a spot where it's permanently accessible and won't cause a lot of damage if it starts leak down the road. Soldering copper pipe isn't hard to learn, and if you mess it up you know immediately and can re-do it.

https://www.amazon.com/Starrett-505P.../dp/B003CJSQ4S

This gem will give you the exact angle of your wall to match your miter saw. My walls are not 90 either. I did my entire LR/DR upstairs and downstairs hallways w/ chair rail. As you know even being a 1/4" off when joining corners will look like crap. Next time buy this it's worth the $$. Coping the joint is also a option for crooked walls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2018, 08:57 AM

290 posts, read 160,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
/\ I enjoyed the part where he wrote “did whole bath except Sheetrock “! In other words lipstick on a pig.
Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
Not ripping down sheet rock on an old bathroom and replacing it is definately cheaping out

Yea? Wife wanted wallpaper and beadboard. I skim coated the top half of the walls and shot beadboard on the bottom half. It's a half bath dude, could have done it with 4 pieces of sheetrock and had plenty of cut pieces left over, so I saved what? $100 on rock? My labor is free. Its a half bath, with no shower, no water damage, and the sheetrock was replaced with green board when the past owners redid the bath 10-12 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
"Do your best, caulk the rest."

Classic!
Never said I was a pro and I don't pretend to be, but I've seen plenty of work by people who call themselves pros and they shouldn't. I have a lot of experience and I like to think I'm pretty good at this stuff. I've heard that quote get thrown around a lot and it helps me not get stuck spending hours trying to make something more perfect than it needs to be. I don't expect perfection, and that's alright. If someone is laying on the floor staring at the caulk filling a gap in the corner behind a toilet they have issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
https://www.amazon.com/Starrett-505P.../dp/B003CJSQ4S

This gem will give you the exact angle of your wall to match your miter saw. My walls are not 90 either. I did my entire LR/DR upstairs and downstairs hallways w/ chair rail. As you know even being a 1/4" off when joining corners will look like crap. Next time buy this it's worth the $$. Coping the joint is also a option for crooked walls.
I've been meaning to get one of those. All the old crown and stuff in the house when I moved in was done with a coping saw, half of it is outstanding work, half of it is meh. I'm sure someone spent lot's of time doing them though.

Last edited by mm3846; 06-04-2018 at 09:06 AM..

Old 06-04-2018, 11:13 AM

8,509 posts, read 11,388,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldJTrump View Post
Another option is try to do it yourself.
I hate to agree with Donald Trump, but yes... that or hire a handyman for half the price. We did 2 bathrooms for $10k and I've posted pics before. Companies have too much overhead to give you cheaper pricing even if they wanted to. For bigger jobs, that's a different story - hire pros.

How good a bathroom looks depends on your taste/style, not how much you paid someone to demo/install. On a simple re-do, a handyman won't leave your light fixture crooked or tile un-level as long as you review their work at the end of the day.

Last edited by ovi8; 06-04-2018 at 11:24 AM..

Old 06-06-2018, 08:08 AM

52 posts, read 25,641 times
I considered having a handyman do the reno but i'm afraid that it'll take too long to get done. I had a handyman redo a kitchen before and he was doing that while fitting in other jobs he was doing so i feel like it took longer than if a contractor did it, he did do a good job though.

Old 06-06-2018, 08:14 AM

1,500 posts, read 1,917,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dscotto183 View Post
I considered having a handyman do the reno but i'm afraid that it'll take too long to get done. I had a handyman redo a kitchen before and he was doing that while fitting in other jobs he was doing so i feel like it took longer than if a contractor did it, he did do a good job though.

If you are hiring a handyman make sure you pay by the project and not by the day. They will take their sweet a$$ time if you pay them by the day.

Old 06-06-2018, 08:47 AM

3,118 posts, read 8,497,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dscotto183 View Post
Many contractors do the same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or