U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2018, 04:33 PM

15,980 posts, read 24,481,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
I want to talk about this. Have you driven a car with adaptive (radar) cruise control yet? Couple that with lane-keep assist and you pretty much have the fundamentals of automated driving. My parents have it in their Honda as part of Honda Sensing but it's anything but smooth. The smallest gap you can set it to is 2-car lengths. That's A LOT of space. I can understand the safety component, but when was the last time you drove around here consistently with 2 car lengths? Then the bigger issue is cars coming into your lane because of the open space (and even automated cars will do that with that much space) and all of a sudden the radar errs on the side of caution and jams on the brakes pretty hard and holds it an extra second too long. If you were behind me, you'd wonder why I was so hard on the brakes. Then it takes an extra few seconds for it to decide to accelerate again. It's pretty rough and the only way it's practical is highway cruising with little speed variation.

With the amount of sensors involved in these systems, it still will not be able to drive like humans who can anticipate. We can see around the car in front of the car in front of us so that we know we don't have to jam on the brakes, just because a car came into our lane with less than 2 car lengths. We are able to slow down before the sensors will detect a car has now jumped in front of us from the cross street. A good driver can read the road better than a bunch of IF... THEN conditions programmed in.

Until we can get these sensors thinking and seeing like humans (yet better in the dark), the only thing it has over us is over-cautiousness, and that's not exactly a good thing.

The elderly are always in our way. Please don't try to sell slow as being safe. Just no.
I work in auto insurance and we have issues with things as simple as parking assist. There have been accidents even with that.

As you said, humans can do many things that sensors can't, like see all the traffic, adjust for the ******* up ahead who is tailgating and changing lanes constantly and so on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2018, 04:45 PM
cml cml started this thread

150 posts, read 207,839 times
There are working on and testing self driving in Arizona, so well see how that works out, See I think where Long Island went wrong was it was built around cars instead of public transportation, our roads were not meant for this amount of high volume traffic, I think we should do what other countries have done is invest more in public transportation make it more efficient and reliable that way people will use it and not rely on cars so much

Old 12-13-2018, 07:19 PM

7,350 posts, read 8,966,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cml View Post
There are working on and testing self driving in Arizona, so well see how that works out, See I think where Long Island went wrong was it was built around cars instead of public transportation, our roads were not meant for this amount of high volume traffic, I think we should do what other countries have done is invest more in public transportation make it more efficient and reliable that way people will use it and not rely on cars so much
The reason those countries you speak of have built around public transit is because at the end of WWII when they were rebuilding up from the rubble they had the Marshall Plan Dollars that we were providing. With no available gasoline supply and it being an expensive import they invested heavily in public transit to get their economies going.

The post war baby boom fueled our need for more housing, land was cheap, gas was plentiful and the car was our preferred mode of travel. Today those great examples of mass transit have traffic issues just as bad as us, London, Paris, Tokyo, Rome they all have the ability to back up just as bad as NYC or LA.

How willing are you to give up your car and walk or take a bus to shop, work or just to get around??

Old 12-13-2018, 07:51 PM

152 posts, read 116,328 times
Get rid of the HOV lanes and use the space to add an extra 3 lanes that switches direction/flow depending on the time of day. West in the morning from 5-10 am and East from 3pm-8pm.

Old 12-13-2018, 09:09 PM

1,335 posts, read 1,825,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
The elderly are always in our way. Please don't try to sell slow as being safe. Just no.
See video below, maybe we could get her to move from Pasadena to L.I. and open a "driving improvement skills" course for seniors...

Little Old Lady From Pasadena

Old 12-13-2018, 11:25 PM

105 posts, read 20,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cml View Post
Anyone have any suggestions as to solve the traffic problem on Long Island.
Bust that myth that accelerating slowly saves gas. How many times I miss the green turn arrow cause people take off extra stupid slow to "save gas".

Fuel efficiency during acceleration generally improves as RPM increases until a point somewhere near peak torque (brake specific fuel consumption) SEE AutoSpeed - Brake Specific Fuel Consumption

In the 1970s cars had inefficient CARBURETORS and it did use more gas to take off quick cause you opened the main jets but they invented ELECTRONIC FUEL INJECTION.

Green turn arrow ? Step on it you won't waste gas ! Because at low RPM, SFC suffers because there’s increased time for the heat of combustion to escape through the walls of the cylinders and so not do useful work !!

Old 12-13-2018, 11:55 PM
Status: "The Emerald City - Home of Seattle Grunge" (set 7 days ago)

1,121 posts, read 4,279,119 times
Theres already 3 major arteries running west to east. Northern State, LIE and the southern state. There's also the other roads that have traffic lites. Sunrise and Montauk Highway on the south shore and 25A on the north shore.

Having no construction during rush hours would help but not cure. There's just to many people on the Island.

Old 12-14-2018, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper70 View Post
Raise the speed limit to 80 m.p.h. Make it 100 m.p.h. in the HOV lane. Problem solved.

I know its so stupid modern sports cars expected to travel the same speed as old mini box vans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoIa253WD7s

Old 12-14-2018, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Raise the speed limit to 80 m.p.h. Make it 100 m.p.h. in the HOV lane. Problem solved.
Dodge Charger SRT392 2015 on German Autobahn, 182 mph / 292 kmh - totally legal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUAkyNFyCcw

Yikes !

Old 12-14-2018, 12:26 AM

9,806 posts, read 11,462,115 times
Quote:
It's already that fast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or