U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2018, 02:23 PM

11,873 posts, read 4,477,792 times

Advertisements

Autonomous vehicles will eventually provide some relief. They can operate safely at perhaps twice the density of human driven vehicles. The y will also be able to lower the traffic speed in situations where that improves the flow.

Unfortunately we will have a significant wait. You need most of the cars to be self driving and all cars reporting electronically. So maybe someplace in the 2030s.

Note also that autonomous vehicles will also likely lead to a vast growth in car services. That may well significantly lower the number of cars on the highway. LI would be a place where that would occur.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2018, 11:07 PM

62 posts, read 81,092 times
"autonomous vehicles"? no. no, there is not enough computing power...distributed or on-board..
to safely handle the majority of typical driving scenarios.

only possible way it could work would be "railroad-izing" the roads. electronic transponders ever couple of feet.

Old 12-25-2018, 10:50 AM

54 posts, read 29,316 times
It is hard to solve the traffic situation when you are next to a major city. When you are talking about freeway traffics, then you can use traffic signals on the on-ramp to control the number of cars jumping on the highway at a given time, but again that will cause a pile-up on the side street of cars waiting.

I think the best option for solving traffic is that everyone needs to be a better driver. I have seen countless times people weiving left and right out of the lanes for 5 mins just to get a distance of 1 car, Cmon.. These drivers cause other drivers to slow down more and keep further distance from each car, which taking more road space and also which causes the stop and go motion on the highway... if you are not exiting, stay in your lane, you are not saving much/or any time at all.

Last edited by MrSchmo; 12-25-2018 at 11:06 AM..

Old 12-25-2018, 11:42 AM

30 posts, read 9,918 times
Here's how you fix it:

Get with the program and have a faster response time. Drive a little faster. This is why there is traffic.

People on their phones
Left lane drivers going way under the speed limit
Slow responses/movements (light change or casual turning)
Won't move to shoulder when turning into a lot
Morons that can't determine where they are going and are not considerate to those behind them
Morons that will also leave nearly a 2 car length gap when stopped at a light
Generic clutter in well populated areas

Old 12-27-2018, 02:00 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,555 posts, read 2,215,548 times
Hey, y'all! It's been almost five years since leaving, and this thread piqued my interest.

A couple of things Long Island should consider, though it'd be cost prohibitive and political suicide, at this point:
- Run an additional track on the LIRR mainline from Floral Park all the way to Ronkonkoma for better express service.
- Run a third express track on the Babylon line.
- Extend electrification of the LIRR east to reduce the number of cars driving west to the end of the electric line.
- Reconfigure the LIE from 3-1-1-3 to 3-3-3 with the inner lanes being reversible HOV lanes. Once it reaches Queens, it can be a two lane roadway. Designate one lane in this new roadway for commuter busses. Speed limit should be 60MPH in western Nassau, 65MPH in eastern Nassau, and 70MPH in Suffolk County. The inner lanes would have occasional flyover ramps to the service road, and be 65MPH.
- Gradually reconstruct the parkways with legitimate acceleration/deceleration lanes.
- Reconstruct the Southern State Parkway to include an HOV lane in each direction (3-1-1-3) and replace the tight cloverleafs with SPUIs (this eliminates weaving, hairpin curves, and tight merge areas). Also, include collector-distributor roadways where interchanges are close together. Also, eliminate exit 23 (Meadowbrook Road).
- Extend the Seaford-Oyster Bay Expressway north across the LI Sound to the Cross Westchester Expressway.

Old 12-29-2018, 06:06 AM

7,530 posts, read 2,259,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSchmo View Post
It is hard to solve the traffic situation when you are next to a major city. When you are talking about freeway traffics, then you can use traffic signals on the on-ramp to control the number of cars jumping on the highway at a given time, but again that will cause a pile-up on the side street of cars waiting.

I think the best option for solving traffic is that everyone needs to be a better driver. I have seen countless times people weiving left and right out of the lanes for 5 mins just to get a distance of 1 car, Cmon.. These drivers cause other drivers to slow down more and keep further distance from each car, which taking more road space and also which causes the stop and go motion on the highway... if you are not exiting, stay in your lane, you are not saving much/or any time at all.
I think I get what you're saying here & agree LI does not need (any more) 'road warriors'.

Maybe it would help if the road warriors stopped using local roads, highways, parkways, & expressways, etc. as their own private (Idaho) drag strips?

Is Long Island really in need of a drag strip?

Is Long Island really in need of a drag strip? | Riverhead News Review

Old 12-29-2018, 06:15 AM

108 posts, read 52,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSchmo View Post

The issue is that 98% of drivers are nervous while driving. Thatís what causes traffic.

Old 12-29-2018, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwsteg View Post
The issue is that 98% of drivers are nervous while driving. Thatís what causes traffic.
If that is the problem, what is the solution?

Old 12-29-2018, 07:10 AM

1,505 posts, read 1,090,567 times
/\ real drivers education followed by a real road test and written exam. It’s way too easy to get a license. It’s a joke in this country.

Old 12-29-2018, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
/\ real drivers education followed by a real road test and written exam. It’s way too easy to get a license. It’s a joke in this country.
Personally, I can go with that. Although I also recognize there are many Americans who will likely view your recommendations as an infringement on their rights ..., not to mention (alright I'm gonna ) those folks who want less government involvement, & less regulations, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or