Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 02:49 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,507,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
This is what stuck out to me msot in your post, it was long so I just skimmed it unfortunately. But that is not very different from here at all. The typical home in suburban Rochester (which of the Upstate metros, is the most "wealthy", Albany coming close 2nd becuse of the highly paying government jobs our taxes pay for) with 1800 sq feet, probably 20-40 years old...will have taxes of $6k at least. Granted, that same home would cost only about $150k-$200k vs probably $400k on LI; but that basically means we just constanly have a buyers market and the value of our homes BARELY keep pace with inflation and never have the rapid appreciation you have had (and will likely have again at some point). I love this area and after 13 years in the south will likely never leave again; but I know when things just aren't right...and they are more "not right" in upstate NY than LI.
The $5-$6k would just be the school property tax, tack on at least another $3k in general property tax down here....but that's for, like I said, postage sized property and a Levitt house. Even some of my neighbors pay $13k, it's crazy.

Things are much more "not right" upstate, even with the insane taxes on LI we're generally OK because we're close to NYC. I'm not tooting my own horn or anything but do yourself a favor and read my last post. The politicians upstate have you guys convinced that NYC, LI, Westchester, etc. are killing upstate and it's not the case!!

BTW I didn't know Rochester was that expensive....I've been through there before, thought there were some pretty rough areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2008, 05:59 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,584,448 times
there are some rough areas of the city itself, but the suburbs are very safe with great schools. The southeastern suburb of Pittsford is the wealthiest town upstate, with an average family income of $101k and average home price of (I believe, not positive) around $250k. Again though, a $250k house here will have taxes upwards of 9-10k.

Old 04-02-2008, 09:56 AM

210 posts, read 671,305 times
A few reasons this would not happen:

1. The cost of setting up the new state: Everything from a new Governor and Legislature to state police including the infrastructure for these new entities. Either we'd have to build/buy new items, or buy them from NY State when we leave.

Add to this issues involving prisons and law enforcement. Will NY State want to host a killer who is serving time for a murder in Levittown, Long Island? Currently these people are upstate, where would they go and who would pay?

2. Jones Beach: Will NY state give up this revenue, or the prestige of having this as part of the state... Same with Bethpage Black (to a lesser degree).

Old 04-02-2008, 11:05 AM

3,509 posts, read 9,421,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
The politicians upstate have you guys convinced that NYC, LI, Westchester, etc. are killing upstate and it's not the case!!
If you truly want to know, read "Could New York Let Upstate Be Upstate?"
http://www.ppinys.org/reports/2004/letupstate.pdf

The report points out exactly how Downstate NY is killing upstate. Summed up in one sentence (on page 9):

Policies and costs are imposed on the Upstate economy in ways that would not happen if Upstate were a standalone state on its own.

Some examples include....

-Medicaid burden on the counties. Property taxes are so high in Upstate NY precisely to pay for the Medicaid program.
-Thruway tolls
-Energy Costs
-Brownfield laws enacted to help NYC actually made Upstate redeveloped of brownfields cost-prohibitive
-Wicks Law
-Tort Law

Old 04-02-2008, 08:20 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,584,448 times
exactly my point..Upstate NY's taxes are so high MOSTLY because of STATE mandated tax policy. It's riduclous and it needs to stop. Eventhough I didn't live in NY at the time of the 2006 race for governer, I was really hoping Tom Golisono was going to get the republican nomination and hopefully by some prayer of a chance get ellected. He's an upstater who lives in Rochester and owns the Buffalo Sabres. But alas....if you aren't from within a 100 mile radius of NYC and don't have that brooklyn brawl, Lwong Oiland twang, or the classic New Yawk accent...you don't have a shot. We aren't even considered "real new yorkers" by many folks down there, just "upstaters" and we are all toothless farmers or factory workers who don't know nothin' bout nothing bout no politics. Oh yeah, and west of Syracuse we say "pop" which sounds "country" too. If you don't even consider us "real" new yorkers (i'm not saying anyone on this forum has implied such, but I have heard it numerous times from downstaters, especially from LI) let US be the ones that get to break away from NY state.

Old 04-02-2008, 10:11 PM

1,302 posts, read 3,305,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by watamensch View Post
Here's the REAL problem. The same Dopes who run NY State would run LI State. What happened to Spitzer was awful (I don't what to go there) but the public knew more about where he went, what he spent, what her name was and where he lived then about ANYTHING going on in the state!

The same people will live in Long Island State as do in New York State... who, like others in the country know more about what famous person just got a boob job or which star is "messing around" with which other star.

They know more about the contestants of American Idol, including the songs they've sung, and personal details then they know about Clinton, McCain or Obama. More votes are cast every week for American Idol then for President, Governor, State legislative office or any local election.

I am not dumping on New Yorkers, this is true across the country. WE GET WHAT WE DESERVE! WAKE UP, try watching FoxNews, MSNBC or CNN for a night instead of the junk that's on TV. Better yet, turn off the boob-tube and read a newspaper!

Just venting, back to normal mode now.
I would put Foxnews into the junk category... And any paper owned by Murdoch

Old 04-02-2008, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
exactly my point..Upstate NY's taxes are so high MOSTLY because of STATE mandated tax policy. It's riduclous and it needs to stop. Eventhough I didn't live in NY at the time of the 2006 race for governer, I was really hoping Tom Golisono was going to get the republican nomination and hopefully by some prayer of a chance get ellected. He's an upstater who lives in Rochester and owns the Buffalo Sabres. But alas....if you aren't from within a 100 mile radius of NYC and don't have that brooklyn brawl, Lwong Oiland twang, or the classic New Yawk accent...you don't have a shot. We aren't even considered "real new yorkers" by many folks down there, just "upstaters" and we are all toothless farmers or factory workers who don't know nothin' bout nothing bout no politics. Oh yeah, and west of Syracuse we say "pop" which sounds "country" too. If you don't even consider us "real" new yorkers (i'm not saying anyone on this forum has implied such, but I have heard it numerous times from downstaters, especially from LI) let US be the ones that get to break away from NY state.
That Pataki guy was from Brooklyn....???

Old 04-02-2008, 10:19 PM

Default It's a wonderful concept...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Why do you assume that a 51st state would still have gov't schools: a 51st state could eliminate gov't schools and thus no more property tax to pay for gov't schools. Now, that would be a real reform of our present system.
...but there is zero chance of a Long Island "state" ridding itself of the local government school setup. My main point was that the reality (in my opinion) of a 51st state is very far fetched. Why not instead ask some tough, "drastic" questions about our current structure if we are even entertaining the more severe notion of trying to secede from New York. If drastic change is needed, and people just LOVE change, it probably has a better shot of some success within some of the current structure that going to other extremes...I think I need to go to bed now...

Old 04-03-2008, 06:24 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post
I would put Foxnews into the junk category ...
I don't: Fox News is center on the political spectrum, and only appears to be on the right because each of the other news sources are so far on the left.

Old 04-03-2008, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
I don't: Fox News is center on the political spectrum, and only appears to be on the right because each of the other news sources are so far on the left.
"For those of you not familiar with FoxNews..."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island