Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2018, 08:08 AM

191 posts, read 590,958 times

Advertisements

Hello, about Harborfields Estates in Greenlawn - it looks like it's on the north side of a busy road. I was wondering, would kids (10+yo) be able to safely (streets and people) ride their bikes from there to the town center area of Greenlawn? And are those houses generally built well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2018, 09:01 AM

168 posts, read 289,405 times
Hi,

(Semi-off-topic) I just wonder what went through the heads of the developers when they put that half a mile white fence all along Pulaski road... it's one of the ugliest things I've ever seen in that area... I don't mind small fences here and there... but that it's just a gigantic straight long ugly fence!

Hipo

Old 06-06-2018, 10:02 AM

215 posts, read 248,027 times
Can't speak to the construction quality, but I agree the whole development looks kinda hideous - fence included. I'm sure they're nice on the inside, but they have this upper-middle class subdivision vibe to it - not my thing...

Not sure where you'd consider the "town center area of Greenlawn", or where the entrances and exits to the development are, but you'd probably have to cross main road (Pulaski or Cuba Hill rd?) to get anywhere.

And if you want to get to any of the places pictured in the 'Neighborhood' tab of the website for the development (Huntington Village, Northport Harbor, etc...), you'll want to drive.

Old 06-07-2018, 06:14 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,537,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1174Sixer View Post
Can't speak to the construction quality, but I agree the whole development looks kinda hideous - fence included. I'm sure they're nice on the inside, but they have this upper-middle class subdivision vibe to it - not my thing...

Not sure where you'd consider the "town center area of Greenlawn", or where the entrances and exits to the development are, but you'd probably have to cross main road (Pulaski or Cuba Hill rd?) to get anywhere.

And if you want to get to any of the places pictured in the 'Neighborhood' tab of the website for the development (Huntington Village, Northport Harbor, etc...), you'll want to drive.
Pricing is north of $800,000........might be north of Upper-Middle Class!

Old 06-07-2018, 06:49 AM

63 posts, read 70,394 times
I understand that even basic things like lawn/sod and refrigerators are priced extra, which will bring the price even higher than that. As for the bicycling question, no, I would not allow my kids to bike into Greenlawn from there. Pulaski is a major road with several busy intersections, and even if there is a back entrance for Harborfields Estates on Lake (I'm not sure if there is), it would require biking along Lake (which is not too wide and can get busy), onto Dunlop (winding and busy), and into Greenlawn along Center or one of the streets that runs parallel to it. I guess an older kid could do it that way. As another poster said, the only way into Huntington or Northport is by car. If you want to be in Harborfields schools, I would much rather spend that kind of money (800K plus) on an existing house in Centerport (such a house would probably be smaller but in a much nicer area) or the nicer parts of Greenlawn or Huntington. There are some larger houses (with big yards) in that price range in the Clay Pitts area of Greenlawn, assuming any of them are for sale at this time. The only advantage I see to buying a house in Harborfields Estates is that it would be brand new and very big, if that is important to you. It seems to lack character and privacy, and it is situated right between the diesel train tracks (think noise all the time) and Pulaski, a busy, unattractive road that is separated from Harborfields Estates by that even uglier long white fence that somebody else mentioned. Not for me. You can definitely do better in that school district for the same money, IMHO.

Old 06-07-2018, 07:03 AM

168 posts, read 289,405 times
Hi,

(to add a little bit more to my semi-off-topic comment).

The fact that people want their kids to ride their bikes around, which is pretty logical in a suburban environment, in my opinion, plus the large size of that estates area, makes that ugly white fence along Pulaski a horrible decision from the architect designing the project. Imagine, instead of the fence, that they would have put several lines of trees with a nice garden-like/bikewalk all around that area. Where kids can go all around without street crossings. The integration of that area with the rest of Greenlawn would be much much nicer and the appeal would be awesome. How the town allows enclosed large areas like that that break the integration of the whole town is beyond my comprehension. A total urbanism mistake, imho.

Hipo

Old 06-07-2018, 07:12 AM

5,046 posts, read 3,950,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeMeQuick View Post
.... You can definitely do better in that school district for the same money, IMHO.

For those who want new construction on a flat half acre in Harborfields School District and can afford it, the development probably seems very close to perfect.

Hot housing market, the appeal of new construction and the very desirable school district may equal a home run for the developer. Looks like the homes are selling.

No doubt the new homes are not for everyone (what homes are?).

Old 06-07-2018, 07:19 AM

The developer is definitely going to cash in on the reputation of the school district, I agree, even though the development seems unattractive and is not ideally situated. I suspect they knew this from the beginning, given the name they chose for the development. House prices have risen dramatically in this school district, and new house constructions are very rare, save for the occasional flip, which would probably be even more expensive in Harborfields.

Old 06-07-2018, 08:49 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,760,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeMeQuick View Post
I understand that even basic things like lawn/sod and refrigerators are priced extra, which will bring the price even higher than that. As for the bicycling question, no, I would not allow my kids to bike into Greenlawn from there. Pulaski is a major road with several busy intersections, and even if there is a back entrance for Harborfields Estates on Lake (I'm not sure if there is), it would require biking along Lake (which is not too wide and can get busy), onto Dunlop (winding and busy), and into Greenlawn along Center or one of the streets that runs parallel to it. I guess an older kid could do it that way. As another poster said, the only way into Huntington or Northport is by car. If you want to be in Harborfields schools, I would much rather spend that kind of money (800K plus) on an existing house in Centerport (such a house would probably be smaller but in a much nicer area) or the nicer parts of Greenlawn or Huntington. There are some larger houses (with big yards) in that price range in the Clay Pitts area of Greenlawn, assuming any of them are for sale at this time. The only advantage I see to buying a house in Harborfields Estates is that it would be brand new and very big, if that is important to you. It seems to lack character and privacy, and it is situated right between the diesel train tracks (think noise all the time) and Pulaski, a busy, unattractive road that is separated from Harborfields Estates by that even uglier long white fence that somebody else mentioned. Not for me. You can definitely do better in that school district for the same money, IMHO.
I agree with all of this. How about the Old Salem area as well (or maybe it's called Salem Ridge).

I wouldn't have crossed Pulaski 35 years ago, I certainly wouldn't do it now.

Old 06-07-2018, 10:12 AM

It's called Salem Ridge. Very nice, zoned for bigger lots, and it's in Harborfields (Huntington mailing addresses). I didn't suggest it because I doubt you could find anything in there for 800K unless it was a much smaller house with few updates. There have been LOTS of pretty impressive flips there in recent years. Most are very nice looking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island