U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2018, 06:17 PM

4,963 posts, read 3,925,200 times

Advertisements

Sayville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2018, 07:33 AM

64 posts, read 35,803 times
Growing up in Westchester, I actually like Long Island a LOT more. There is much more to do and things are a lot more convenient - things in Westchester are very spread out and you have to drive everywhere. Getting to the city via the LIRR is much easier (especially since lots of towns you want walk to station). In Westchester the wait to even part at stations can be years. In Western Nassau there are some very quaint villages that you can walk to lots and still be close to Manhattan. All personal preference in what you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Westchester. It's like LI with more hills.

Old 06-11-2018, 08:46 AM

736 posts, read 172,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizWright View Post
Growing up in Westchester, I actually like Long Island a LOT more. There is much more to do and things are a lot more convenient - things in Westchester are very spread out and you have to drive everywhere. Getting to the city via the LIRR is much easier (especially since lots of towns you want walk to station). In Westchester the wait to even part at stations can be years. In Western Nassau there are some very quaint villages that you can walk to lots and still be close to Manhattan. All personal preference in what you want.
MNRR is light years ahead of LIRR in terms of commuter satisfaction. I don't think anyone would honestly choose the mediocre LIRR and godawful Penn over MNRR and GCT. And while the MNRR parking lots may have wait lists most villages have their own no-waitlist lots right there anyway. Its not an issue.

LI has a lot more waterfront properties, great beaches and fishing.

Old 06-11-2018, 08:55 AM

191 posts, read 473,207 times
It'll be cool to live somewhere with so much easy beach access everywhere. I'm just concerned that it'll be hard for my kids to make new friends and become part of the community. Sounds like it's hard to break in to LI. I'm also introverted and shy so becoming their social chairperson sounds dreadful to me lol. Since my kids each started K here, it all developed organically for them. I guess it'll just help them in life later rather than having only been in one small place (which has had its drawbacks too).

Old 06-11-2018, 09:57 AM

1,425 posts, read 1,629,429 times
I would recommend Bay Shore (south of Union Blvd) and Brightwaters

Its definitely very quaint and the schools are considered good (though not quite "top notch"). This is one of the preppiest areas that I've seen on Long Island. Lots of historic Victorian homes, old colonials and adorable shops/boutiques. Lots of boats and one of the beautiful large catholic churches rings their bell at certain times of the day giving that 1800's feel.

If you drive or take a stroll down Main Street/Montauk Hwy and surrounding neighborhoods then you'll see many people there wearing Vineyard Vines/Brooks Brothers, boat shoes, bright colors and embodying the whole preppy look.

This is in contrast to the heavy blue-collar/working class/"greaser" vibe that you find in most south shore towns. But beware that some parts of Bay Shore can be run-down, especially some parts around the LIRR tracks and Sunrise Hwy.

I would've bought there in a second after renting there for a few yeara but it was way too far away from my job.

Last edited by MemoryMaker; 06-11-2018 at 10:08 AM..

Old 06-11-2018, 11:15 AM

7,549 posts, read 7,978,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post

Its definitely very quaint and the schools are considered good (though not quite "top notch"). This is one of the preppiest areas that I've seen on Long Island. Lots of historic Victorian homes, old colonials and adorable shops/boutiques. Lots of boats and one of the beautiful large catholic churches rings their bell at certain times of the day giving that 1800's feel.

If you drive or take a stroll down Main Street/Montauk Hwy and surrounding neighborhoods then you'll see many people there wearing Vineyard Vines/Brooks Brothers, boat shoes, bright colors and embodying the whole preppy look.

This is in contrast to the heavy blue-collar/working class/"greaser" vibe that you find in most south shore towns. But beware that some parts of Bay Shore can be run-down, especially some parts around the LIRR tracks and Sunrise Hwy.

I would've bought there in a second after renting there for a few yeara but it was way too far away from my job.
But the OP is looking for a community with a significant Asian population so I don't think she'll care all that much about Brooks Brothers and churches. Also a bit of a commute for her husband.

Old 06-11-2018, 11:24 AM

4,963 posts, read 3,925,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpotato View Post
It'll be cool to live somewhere with so much easy beach access everywhere. I'm just concerned that it'll be hard for my kids to make new friends and become part of the community. Sounds like it's hard to break in to LI. I'm also introverted and shy so becoming their social chairperson sounds dreadful to me lol. Since my kids each started K here, it all developed organically for them. I guess it'll just help them in life later rather than having only been in one small place (which has had its drawbacks too).
I will tell you our story. Our boys were born in Suffolk co and we lived there until one was going into 7th grade and the other going into 8th grade. They went to a very small parochial school and we didn't want them to go to a huge school, so we moved completely to Pittsburgh. Sold everything, packed up without jobs and moved.

Our kids thrived. They absolutely loved the school and just did as much as they could.

My hubby and I couldn't settle down and make friends.It was also very hard for us to get jobs So two weeks ago, we moved to our vacation home in the poconos full time. Where are the kids ; well, they stayed in Pittsburgh for college and like living there. They totally understand where we were coming from ; financially the move to pittsburgh was a disaster and now we are in recovery mode. Long Island is not one bit isolating ; the people are there, they are familiar with people moving in and out. Many people in Pittsburgh have never been to the city of Pittsburgh.

I love the village of Sayville ; I know it would be a commute, but it is such a great area.

Old 06-11-2018, 11:32 AM

1,425 posts, read 1,629,429 times
Bay Shore is probably as racially and economically diverse as your gonna get on Long Island; so Asians are guaranteed to be widely accepted. The data shows Bay Shore to be 3.2% Asian, which is actually more than most Long Island towns outside of North Nassau:

(This doesn't include Brightwaters and West Bay Shore; which make up the school district)

Plus, Main Street has at least five Asian eateries signifying a reasonably solid Asian presence in the area. Bay Shore is located between two major hospitals and Asians have been traditionally attracted to the higher levels of the medical field.

Not trying to pass it off as New Hyde Park or Jericho but I think an Asian would feel comfortable in the area.

Last edited by MemoryMaker; 06-11-2018 at 11:42 AM..

Old 06-11-2018, 11:34 AM

191 posts, read 473,207 times
I think I'm dropping the Asian population criteria. Community feel and walkable (where kids can walk safely on their own) is more important to me. Commutable to Hempstead. Not too spoiled - not a town where every high school senior is driving a luxury car. Good school district. From what I'm reading, Greenlawn is at the top of my list so far.

Old 06-11-2018, 11:50 AM

16,685 posts, read 27,887,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post

Bayshore schools do not sound like they are in the same category as those of the areas the OP is currently considering. If she didn't care about paying for private school, only then would I recommend Bayshore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or