U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2018, 11:59 AM

20 posts, read 10,126 times

Advertisements

My two cents are that yes, Bay Shore is beautiful. I love the houses and the vibe on Main Street, south of Main, in West Bay Shore, and in Brightwaters. You can spend all your time in these parts and never have anything to do with the monstrous rest of Bay Shore as long as you stay out of the schools. I have close friends in the schools and based on what they tell me, I could not in good conscience recommend them to someone whose priority is a good school district. The former superintendent instituted a lot of positive changes that are starting to fall by the wayside. Also, although the district offers a much wider selection of academic offerings and activities (all heavily subsidized because it's considered a lower-income district) than many of the "preferred" Long Island districts, you cannot look past the very damaging effect of a significant non-English speaking population, a gang presence in the schools (police are often called to the high school), and a sizeable percentage of financially needy students. Sorry, but you just can't. All of these things offset the positives in a disturbing way that can't be overlooked, in my opinion. Others will surely disagree, but I find these circumstances troubling. Greenlawn is not as "cute' visually as Bay Shore (Main Street), but it's pretty enough, and the schools are great. There's always Cold Spring Harbor if the quaintness of the place is very high on your list, and the schools are top-notch. Be prepared to pay dearly, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2018, 12:11 PM

191 posts, read 473,553 times
Do you think it would be easier for new kids to move to Greenlawn or Northport? Or Centerport? New Asian kids, if that makes a difference.
Yeah, Bay Shore sounds beautiful but not the schools. Too bad Sayville is too far away.
Cold Spring Harbor is too exclusively wealthy.

Old 06-11-2018, 01:28 PM

15,749 posts, read 23,988,329 times
Centerport is nice but there's no real town. I'd pick Greenlawn #1 for the commute and #2 Northport can be very "did I ever tell you I grew up here?".

Old 06-11-2018, 02:39 PM

20 posts, read 10,126 times
Second that about Centerport not having a town. Most of Centerport is nicer than most of Greenlawn, but there are only a couple of stores to walk to, and some beaches. If strolling around in a pretty setting without a particular destination is what you'd like, then Centerport is lovely. It sounds like you are looking for more of a town, though. Greenlawn has some stores, numerous places to eat, coffee shops, and Harborfields Library. It's not overly quaint but it's very walkable. The commute is better than Northport's but still awful if you are dependent on the LIRR. I do not think being Asian would matter at all in any of the three towns you mentioned. None are known for diversity but Asians would be welcome, I think. Harborfields schools attract more Asian students every year, probably because of the great reputation the school district enjoys.

Old 06-11-2018, 02:45 PM

4,626 posts, read 2,614,562 times
These are all next to each other. Unless the home is so close to the enter of town you’d have to drive a few minutes anyway.

Old 06-11-2018, 04:32 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,857,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpotato View Post
I think I'm dropping the Asian population criteria. Community feel and walkable (where kids can walk safely on their own) is more important to me. Commutable to Hempstead. Not too spoiled - not a town where every high school senior is driving a luxury car. Good school district. From what I'm reading, Greenlawn is at the top of my list so far.
It Is true that if you read down a list of the top performing school districts on Long Island, the first non high-wealth school is Harborfields. https://www.usnews.com/education/bes...hools/new-york In order this year: Jericho, Cold Spring Harbor, Garden City, Wheatley, Great Neck South, Manhasset, Syosset, Port Washington, Roslyn, Great Neck North, Harborfields, Herricks, etc, etc.

It is also true that Harborfields spends far less per-pupil than similarly successful and similarly highly ranked school districts:https://projects.newsday.com/databas...ending-census/

(Of course Greenlawn is not quaint, kids biking there may not be a great idea, and there are not many Asians in any case)

Last edited by Quick Commenter; 06-11-2018 at 05:03 PM..

Old 06-12-2018, 01:33 AM

Greenlawn isn't quaint? What are the general differences for kids growing up in Centerport vs. Greenlawn vs. Northport?

Old 06-12-2018, 05:57 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,857,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpotato View Post
Greenlawn isn't quaint? What are the general differences for kids growing up in Centerport vs. Greenlawn vs. Northport?

Sounds like a cool project for somebody to research.

Old 06-12-2018, 07:55 AM

236 posts, read 167,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Centerport is nice but there's no real town. I'd pick Greenlawn #1 for the commute and #2 Northport can be very "did I ever tell you I grew up here?".
The commute to hempstead from greenlawn vs northport will be very similar. Either way you're driving south and getting on the northern state at the same entrance.

Old 06-12-2018, 08:28 AM

I guess I'm mostly interested in the childhood experience for kids in these neighborhoods and where my kids might more easily make friends and be accepted into the community. Also if these towns have areas where kids play outside. Kids in my town bike together all over the neighborhood on their own so my kids will have to deal with losing a good amount of independence. But finding a place with its own kind of vibrant community life for kids would be great, like a different good thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or