U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2018, 07:29 AM

191 posts, read 473,207 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm planning several drives out to LI to narrow down neighborhood choices for relocation. My husband's new job will be in Hempstead area. Would like somewhere with walkable areas and kid friendly. From my research so far, I really like what I'm reading about Greenlawn. Definitely also plan to drive around Centerport and Northport. Probably not further east than that. I'm confused about what I'm reading about Huntington.

Can anyone recommend towns with a community feel and SUGGEST SOME STREETS to drive through - like town area and residential area?

I've only visited Melville, I love what I've read about Half Hollow schools, but I was really disappointed when I drove past some listings. Didn't feel like a neighborhood at all. But, we'll have to move so would love to find a wonderful neighborhood to be excited about for my kids. They are elementary through middle school aged. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2018, 08:19 AM

1,140 posts, read 862,620 times
Sea Cliff, Glen Head, Port Washington, Oyster Bay, Northport

Old 06-09-2018, 09:24 AM

Long Island housing prices are shocking! I can't believe there are split levels listed at $1M in parts of Nassau. Split levels are $600K in good condition in good school districts in my area.
Which of these towns would you move to for kids to make friends most easily as a family completely new to the area?

Old 06-09-2018, 11:04 AM

15,731 posts, read 23,957,202 times
Melville is not quaint. It's not even really a town, it's basically a zip code.

Aren't you the one who wanted a 30 minute or less commute for your husband? Centerport and Northport will put you well outside that parameter. Northport is cute though. I don't think you'll like Port Washington.

Huntington is a great town, but not quaint and people don't like the schools. Greenlawn could be a good choice.

Agree about not overthinking your kids' absorption into their new town. Long Island is not a place with a lot transplants. Kids tend to get immersed in one group of friends and stay there. This is why I previously suggested asking administration about how they integrate new kids. And an answer like "our schools are great new kids don't have any trouble" is not an appropriate answer but I guarantee you'll hear it. Academics have little to do with social integration.

Greenlawn? Drive down Broadway to see the little town then go back to Pulaski, take Pulaski to Park Ave and take that north into Huntington to 25A. Go left on 25A and drive into the heart of Huntington (can continue on 25A into Cold Spring Harbor if you like). Plenty of parking in Huntington to get out and walk around.

If you want to see a nice middle class section of Greenlawn go to the college section (Adelphi, Colgate, Duquesne etc). It's off Pulaski and Park.

Last edited by twingles; 06-09-2018 at 11:13 AM..

Old 06-09-2018, 12:08 PM

6,121 posts, read 3,318,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpotato View Post
Long Island housing prices are shocking! I can't believe there are split levels listed at $1M in parts of Nassau. Split levels are $600K in good condition in good school districts in my area.
Which of these towns would you move to for kids to make friends most easily as a family completely new to the area?
Is your area within 25 miles of the center of world commerce?

Old 06-09-2018, 12:20 PM

Thank you so much for your honest and knowledgeable feedback. I'm terrified. I hate to take my kids from here. We're in an idyllic place currently but it will be a 2+ hr commute for my husband so we have to go. I'm hoping it can be an exciting new beginning, but I'm getting more doubtful about the transition for my kids.
Anyone know good websites to rent an apt for the summer in the area?

Old 06-09-2018, 12:25 PM

kokonutty, yes - Bergen County. Great schools, though not as highly ranked as LI in general. Our best schools start at around the same level as Port Jefferson I think. Tons of small walkable towns at half LI prices.

Old 06-09-2018, 12:44 PM

546 posts, read 282,940 times
The one who seems to have an issue with adapting to new surroundings is you. Children adapt very easily. Very easily. You need to rent for a year because after reading your numerous posts nothing on LI is going to please you. You better stay on Lake Wobegon.

Old 06-09-2018, 12:58 PM

I agree, I am having issues with adapting to new surroundings for my kids. I don't want them to leave a place they love and go somewhere where they won't make any friends and be outsiders for years. We plan to rent for a year starting next year so we don't have time pressure to find and buy a house we really like. But we do need to pick a neighborhood to relocate to next year. Over the next school year I'll visit neighborhoods and schools that I've narrowed down and prepare our current house to repair and sell.

Old 06-09-2018, 01:59 PM

15,731 posts, read 23,957,202 times
^^^Let me give you some advice as someone who relocated with two 9 year olds and a 6 year old. Grated, my relocation was voluntary. However that did not change the anxiety and misgivings felt by my kids. They take their cues from YOU. If you believe that where you live is the ultimate, that it's the best place to live, that you need to replicate it but can't, that making friends and fitting is a huge worry - your kids will too. You may think you aren't passing it on to them - you are. Kids are very intuitive and they have fantastic hearing.

They will make friends and they will likely enjoy whatever is on offer wherever you end up. No two places are the same. There is no "better", there's just different. Find out the good things about where you are moving and talk it up to your kids. When you're touring around, if they are with you, point out the things that are important to you. Library, house of worship if you have one, parks - whatever. As soon as you move - take them to their new schools, house of worship to register for religious ed, get a library card, register for little leagues, sign up for piano lessons.....whatever.

Treat it all as a big adventure. My sister lived in Bergen County for years, it's nice, not much different than many parts of Long Island. You're moving from one NYC suburb to another, not Stars Hollow to the inner city. Everything will be fine. But the acceptance starts with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or