U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2018, 04:50 PM

8,507 posts, read 11,383,829 times

Advertisements

Yet our water is tested and documented to be at the upper limit of nitrates which is bad for infants. Can't blame people for worrying about their young family.

The aquaIQ guy told us if we're not going to use their system, at least use the fridge with a filter (good for chlorine removal). Bottled water is a crapshoot. Even Poland Spring.

But we're still bathing and cooking in questionable water. It's not scare tactics, but facts about impure water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2018, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe461 View Post
We installed an Aquasana whole house filtration system. Home Depot runs great specials every now and then. To keep the warranty, it must be installed by a licensed plumber. Total cost wasnít bad for a system that wont need to be touched for several years.
Total cost? And maintenance cost? I assume every 5-7 years?

Old 06-16-2018, 08:46 PM

2,748 posts, read 3,011,485 times
Most modern refrigerators have water filtration built in, its basically a Pur filter that covers your water dispenser and ice maker. You don’t need whole house filtration, waste of money.

Old 06-16-2018, 10:07 PM

6,121 posts, read 3,318,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
Yet our water is tested and documented to be at the upper limit of nitrates which is bad for infants. Can't blame people for worrying about their young family.

The aquaIQ guy told us if we're not going to use their system, at least use the fridge with a filter (good for chlorine removal). Bottled water is a crapshoot. Even Poland Spring.

But we're still bathing and cooking in questionable water. It's not scare tactics, but facts about impure water.
Who supplies your water and who tested it. Who supplied the "upper limits" figures you refer to? What is the time frame for the results you claim?

Was the AquaIQ guy trying to sell you something? What makes you label your water as "questionable" and why do you call it "impure?" Everything other than distilled water is impure.

Old 06-17-2018, 06:25 AM

1,053 posts, read 719,148 times
Quote:
Total cost? And maintenance cost? I assume every 5-7 years?
Iím a little fuzzy on the details - Iím away and all the paperwork is filed away.

As I recall, it was a 6-year system. Regular price was around $1600. Most places have it on sale for a little under $1,000. The Home Depot deal put it around $800.

Install was around $800. Thaís bugged me because it was an easy thing to do myself. However, Aquasana will only honor the warranty if a licensed plumber does the work.

System is supposed to go for 6 years. Thatís based on a xx people living in the household using xx gallons of water. Our usage is lower, so the system should last longer. Maintenance will require a change of tanks. Cost is a few hundred and it is something I can do myself.

Old 06-17-2018, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Who supplies your water and who tested it. Who supplied the "upper limits" figures you refer to? What is the time frame for the results you claim?
It's an annual report made available by the water district themselves:
http://plainviewwater.org/wp-content...ity-Report.pdf

Quote:
At Plant No. 4, an individual well with high nitrate levels is blended with another well with low nitrate levels to meet the nitrate limit of 10 mg/l.
Great, how thoughtful of them.

Quote:
Water from the Plainview Water District has elevated levels of nitrates, but below the maximum contaminant level of 10.0 parts per million (ppm). Nitrate
in drinking water at levels above 10 ppm is a health risk for infants of less than six months of age. High nitrate levels in drinking water can cause blue baby syndrome. The source of the nitrates is the nitrogen in fertilizers and from on-site septic systems. If you are caring for an infant you should ask advice from your health care provider
Quote:
Was the AquaIQ guy trying to sell you something? What makes you label your water as "questionable" and why do you call it "impure?" Everything other than distilled water is impure.
He was called in to sell me on his technology. Again, had it not been that expensive, we would've done it. Instead, we're just going to risk it like most residents here.

Are you trying to identify some technicality with all your questions? It's a risk, especially when it's unclear why/how those specific limits are set as safe in the first place. They even suggest to "ask advice from my health care provider".

Last edited by ovi8; 06-17-2018 at 10:17 AM..

Old 06-17-2018, 07:09 PM

4,620 posts, read 2,605,207 times
This is one I’m eyeing. Inexpensive, doesn’t need a plumber and the filters aren’t an arm and a leg. I would order a water test kit on Amazon and see what needs fixing, and then order a filter to help with that.

https://waterfilteranswers.com/ispring-wkb32b-review/

Old 06-17-2018, 11:01 PM

6,121 posts, read 3,318,365 times
Quote:
It's an annual report made available by the water district themselves:
http://plainviewwater.org/wp-content...ity-Report.pdf

Great, how thoughtful of them.

He was called in to sell me on his technology. Again, had it not been that expensive, we would've done it. Instead, we're just going to risk it like most residents here.

Are you trying to identify some technicality with all your questions? It's a risk, especially when it's unclear why/how those specific limits are set as safe in the first place. They even suggest to "ask advice from my health care provider".
I'm trying to identify the reason someone would be so concerned with the quality of water that, as delivered, meets all state and federal requirements and how much influence a salesperson may have had in that concern. I also find it interesting that someone is so interested in labeling their drinking water as impure and questionable without further detail.

Old 06-18-2018, 06:32 AM

1,935 posts, read 2,127,968 times
Quote:
Does Joe realize that most of Long Island's drinking water comes from deep underground reservoirs called aquifers and the water gets there by filtering down through hundreds of feet of sandy soil while NY City water comes from surface water reservoirs subject to whatever falls into them?

It might get filter through all that soil, but all the cesspools, lawn chemicals, illegal dumping and any crap on the street ultimately ends up in the aquifer.

And my water district (roslyn), the price of water is dirt cheap, so that leads me to believe they don't process the water that great so its probably only good for showering and watering the lawn. My monthly water bill with automatic sprinkler usage is only like 10 bucks for 3 months.

Old 06-18-2018, 10:14 AM

533 posts, read 891,324 times
Had a pressure valve changed out on my boiler system today. Tech showed me the valve and it was 100% clogged. He said this is from the water. This is what you drink, cook and shower with. I will be installing a full house water filter system this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or