U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2019, 10:23 AM

2,435 posts, read 4,333,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
^^^^
What's the maintenance on this bad boy?
Filters/cleaning/etc...?
In theory, you're supposed to change the filters every six months. You can buy a year's supply of filters (two sets) for $65.

Personally I think I can go a lot longer than six months because I really only use it for a glass of drinking water now and then, and when I make coffee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2019, 03:11 PM
exm

2,013 posts, read 642,000 times
Since the water in Garden City is terrible, I had an Aqua Pure AP904 filter installed and I'm very satisfied with the results. A new filter is app $150 and needs to be changed every year. The unit itself and installation will run you around $1,100.

Old 03-11-2019, 06:39 PM

6,163 posts, read 8,814,745 times
The cartridges on a home RO unit should be replaced at least every 6 months on typical tap water, primarily because of the carbon depletion. Home RO units waste a lot of water, typically recovering 10-15% of the water feed, so for every gallon of RO water, you're putting 6-10 gallons down the drain. Not necessarily a big deal for many, but it's a data point for some.

Old 03-21-2019, 01:07 AM

1 posts, read 55 times
It depends on your water input, pipelines and budget. Currently I’m using a Home Master HMF2SMGCC 2-Stage. I don’t remember the exact price, as there were installation fee and other add-ons included, but it shouldn’t be to pricey. Or if you want more option to weigh in, take a quick look over Home Depot, Healthy Kitchen 101 or Ebay. Happy hunting :>

Old Today, 03:08 AM

1 posts
Wow that much waste water? You really got me rethinking getting a RO. Did you exaggerate, though? Because I’ve been told that a good RO water filter system can produce 1 gallons filtered from 3 or 4 gallons feed, which is not too terrible. And while we’re on it, would you mind sharing your thoughts on the Home Master TMAFC-ERP? I’ve even read on this healthykitchen101 blog that getting a permeate pump can help with the ratio and the water pressure. Does it really? I’m still a novice so you’ll have to excuse me.

Old Today, 06:16 AM

6,163 posts, read 8,814,745 times
I don't exaggerate. Recovering 25-33% of the feed water just isn't something home RO's are designed to do, primarily because if they're too efficient and you have hard water, you'll scale the membrane VERY quickly. Take another look at the RO you referenced....how many connections do you see there? Because sooner or later, they ARE going to leak - it's just a matter of time. And that little booster pump kicks the pressure up into the 80-100 psi range........

Here's the thing, folks - I worked on RO systems (among other water purification equipment) for over 40 years. Even a modest RO unit (built properly with quality parts) runs several thousand dollars for 500 gallons per day - and those are the "economy" models. Those systems are maintained MONTHLY - and the prefilter replaced every month, as well. The average homeowner can't REMEMBER the last time they changed their filters, much less sanitized the system itself.

As much as I hate chlorine/chloramine in my water, I hate disease even more. I've seen people hospitalized because they didn't maintain their drinking water/whole house "filter" systems properly - usually because "it's too expensive". Any time you've removed biocides (chlorine/chloramine) from potable water, you should sanitize it annually. The process takes several hours - and some test equipment that's not terribly expensive, but most tire of the procedure after one or two times and just stop doing it. Mayhap I'm overly cautious - but that's because I've seen what CAN happen. I don't need to make a buck so badly that I'll put a customer at risk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or