U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2018, 04:18 PM

250 posts, read 70,925 times

Advertisements

Size. More play space. Its summer now, remember that thing called winter, cold rainy dark you may be indoors alot.

Happiness is more important then winning the game of Zillow.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2018, 05:54 PM

507 posts, read 136,216 times
Location, especially between the choice of two areas you mention and the fact that kids/schools are in the equation.

Unless the Stony Brook house is already too small for your current and immediate-future needs, the choice should be a no-brainer. Unless it's already maxed out sizewise on the lot, you may be able to add to the SB house in the future if necessary. Or later afford to move to a larger house if your budget allows.

How many other communities did you consider and then reject, in order to end up between houses in those two areas in particular? Just curious.

ETA: What style of houses are they? How large are the lots?

Old 08-01-2018, 09:49 AM

250 posts, read 70,925 times
Everyone keeps saying the schools LOL !

Old 08-01-2018, 09:55 AM

1,162 posts, read 860,274 times
Stony Brook house, hands down. A second downside to the "huge" house would be higher energy bills and maintenance costs. The more space you have, the more fixing you will need to do. More square footage means a higher tax bill.

As you're coming from Brooklyn, the Stony Brook house is likely a far larger space than what you're already accustomed to already.

Old 08-01-2018, 08:26 PM

32 posts, read 7,200 times
Hard to tell without knowing the exact specs for each of the houses, but Stony Brook is defintely more desirable for the reasons mentioned above. Three Village SD is outstanding. Longwood is decent too, and honestly, how your kids do in school is more of a reflection of them and the parenting they receive, and what they put into it as students, than the SD itself, unless the SD is utterly atrocious and dysfunctional.

Old 08-03-2018, 12:58 PM

8,140 posts, read 12,525,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jujubibibi View Post
Hi Guys,

I am new to here and would like to have some opinions and suggestions. My partner and I are looking to buy a house and we have been hunting around, and we are first time buyer so we have no experience at all. We are now down to 2 options between Middle island and Stony brook, the one is Stony brook is 40K more expensive but it is small without basement, built in the 60s and no AC, the house is well maintained and the neighborhood is great; and the one in middle island is huge with whole basement, newer construction, however renovation is needed and it is less convenience. Both areas are considered safe neighborhood.

We are planning to grow our family in the next few years and settle down. We are struggling where is the better choice. We are from Brooklyn - so if anyone who lives in either neighborhood can give us more ideas?

Will you guys choose size over location? I know the first rule of buying a house is location, location, location, but size also matters to us.

I know it is all up to our personal preference but I would like to know you guys' thoughts!

Thanks guys!
You can change/expand a house. You can't change the neighborhood.

Something to keep in mind.

Old 08-03-2018, 05:00 PM

1,125 posts, read 2,985,930 times
If your kids have a bent toward the sciences in particular (I'm thinking Intel, etc.), there's mentorship from the University for them when they're in high school. Being in Stony Brook right around the corner from the U. is quite an advantage if you've got smart kids. And there used to be astronomy night on Fridays at the U. - not sure if it still exists, but I'm betting there are similar programs as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or