U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 11:43 AM

1 posts, read 940 times

Advertisements

Hi Guys,

I am new to here and would like to have some opinions and suggestions. My partner and I are looking to buy a house and we have been hunting around, and we are first time buyer so we have no experience at all. We are now down to 2 options between Middle island and Stony brook, the one is Stony brook is 40K more expensive but it is small without basement, built in the 60s and no AC, the house is well maintained and the neighborhood is great; and the one in middle island is huge with whole basement, newer construction, however renovation is needed and it is less convenience. Both areas are considered safe neighborhood.

We are planning to grow our family in the next few years and settle down. We are struggling where is the better choice. We are from Brooklyn - so if anyone who lives in either neighborhood can give us more ideas?

Will you guys choose size over location? I know the first rule of buying a house is location, location, location, but size also matters to us.

I know it is all up to our personal preference but I would like to know you guys' thoughts!

Thanks guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2018, 11:51 AM

4,620 posts, read 2,607,318 times
On LI the first rule is school district, school district, school district. Three Village SD is better than Longwood, no question.

https://www.niche.com/k12/d/three-vi...l-district-ny/

https://www.niche.com/k12/d/longwood...l-district-ny/

Old 06-18-2018, 12:01 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,629,429 times
I would choose location over size.

There's always clever things that you can do to maximize space.

Old 06-19-2018, 07:04 AM

3,115 posts, read 8,495,148 times
Location, location, location

Old 06-19-2018, 10:03 AM

3,198 posts, read 8,106,787 times
I would go with location. It's the one thing you cannot change.

Old 06-19-2018, 12:22 PM

9,038 posts, read 18,355,935 times
Answer: LOCATION!

As you can see, the opinions are unanimous (which is rare here )

Old 06-19-2018, 12:56 PM

16,685 posts, read 27,887,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jujubibibi View Post
Hi Guys,

I am new to here and would like to have some opinions and suggestions. My partner and I are looking to buy a house and we have been hunting around, and we are first time buyer so we have no experience at all. We are now down to 2 options between Middle island and Stony brook, the one is Stony brook is 40K more expensive but it is small without basement, built in the 60s and no AC, the house is well maintained and the neighborhood is great; and the one in middle island is huge with whole basement, newer construction, however renovation is needed and it is less convenience. Both areas are considered safe neighborhood.

We are planning to grow our family in the next few years and settle down. We are struggling where is the better choice. We are from Brooklyn - so if anyone who lives in either neighborhood can give us more ideas?

Will you guys choose size over location? I know the first rule of buying a house is location, location, location, but size also matters to us.

I know it is all up to our personal preference but I would like to know you guys' thoughts!

Thanks guys!
Location beats size. There's a reason that Middle Island house is $40K less. Middle Island borders on some questionable areas (Coram, Gordon Heights) and the schools are mediocre at best.

I live in Stony Brook, bought a small, much older house years ago. My experience: You can always add on to the Stony Brook house. You can always install HVAC. I had a partial basement that was only accessible from outside until we added on to the house. You can use an attic (or garage) for storage as opposed to a basement.

Old 06-20-2018, 10:19 PM

238 posts, read 151,269 times
OP, you already know the answer to this. I assume you posted this hoping someone would tell you to go for the bigger house... not going to happen. Location, location, location. Get the house you can afford now in the better neighborhood and school district. You can always upgrade if you outgrow it. Good luck.

Old 06-20-2018, 10:52 PM

1,125 posts, read 2,982,258 times
Three Village Schools are much better than out in Middle Island. Stony Brook is the better location by far. Resist the temptation to go for the larger/cheaper house in the so-so area. It will be a huge mistake to buy in a mediocre area - a poor investment if you want to look at it from a financial point of view, and a typical rookie mistake.

Old 07-31-2018, 04:05 PM

88 posts, read 136,612 times
You know what they say about real estate. It holds doubly true on LI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or