U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2018, 12:26 PM

19,117 posts, read 32,666,756 times

Advertisements

Long Island town voting rules demote Latinos to 'second class,' suit claims - NY Daily News

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2018, 12:46 PM

16,685 posts, read 27,887,589 times
Brookhaven -- far larger than the Town of Islip and with many minority areas -- didn't need a federal law suit to switch to councilmatic districts, i.e. the 'ward' system mentioned in the article. We voted on a referendum back in the early 2000's. Here, the issue was that council members from other areas within the town didn't have any interest in other areas, giving those residents little to no say -- not unlike the Islip suit alleges.

There is mention that the Islip board members are elected based on who garners the most votes. Looking at a picture of the all white board, I have to ask if any Hispanic persons from Brentwood, Bayshore, Islip Terrace, Central Islip ever seriously ran for a council seat? There has to be plenty of registered voters of color and/or Hispanic heritage who could turn out to support a council candidate who is most familiar with their community issues. Or have they been shut out by the Republican, Democratic, and Conservative parties when they convene?

Old 06-19-2018, 02:40 PM

9,584 posts, read 11,167,117 times
#fakenews

Old 06-19-2018, 04:25 PM

546 posts, read 282,940 times
This has been going for a few years and once again Long Island's Johnnie Cochrane rears his fool head to try and rile the masses.

Old 06-19-2018, 04:30 PM

5,429 posts, read 4,196,407 times
Maybe there are enough Latinos to rally around a candidate but they do not qualify to register to vote for some strange reason.

Old 06-19-2018, 09:19 PM

6,121 posts, read 3,318,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Brookhaven -- far larger than the Town of Islip and with many minority areas -- didn't need a federal law suit to switch to councilmatic districts, i.e. the 'ward' system mentioned in the article. We voted on a referendum back in the early 2000's. Here, the issue was that council members from other areas within the town didn't have any interest in other areas, giving those residents little to no say -- not unlike the Islip suit alleges.

There is mention that the Islip board members are elected based on who garners the most votes. Looking at a picture of the all white board, I have to ask if any Hispanic persons from Brentwood, Bayshore, Islip Terrace, Central Islip ever seriously ran for a council seat? There has to be plenty of registered voters of color and/or Hispanic heritage who could turn out to support a council candidate who is most familiar with their community issues. Or have they been shut out by the Republican, Democratic, and Conservative parties when they convene?
What towns, other than Brookhaven, use a district or ward system of election on Long Island? There are 932 towns in the State of New York - I would bet that at-large elections are far more common throughout the state. On the other hand, the current system seems to be easier to manipulate by incumbents than the proposal.

Old 06-20-2018, 06:28 AM

7,171 posts, read 8,759,533 times
I guess they will need to present a candidate for election, where is it written that our elected officials must reflect the demographics that they represent? Has there been an impropriety in how the elections are held or is it a lack of engaged, registered voters on their part visiting the polls?

Old 06-20-2018, 03:05 PM

9,584 posts, read 11,167,117 times
Minority rules. Thats just how it is. Move along now.

Old 06-20-2018, 03:43 PM

16,685 posts, read 27,887,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
What towns, other than Brookhaven, use a district or ward system of election on Long Island? There are 932 towns in the State of New York - I would bet that at-large elections are far more common throughout the state. On the other hand, the current system seems to be easier to manipulate by incumbents than the proposal.
We'll stick with Long Island. The only other one I know of that has an iindividual representative for each council district is the Town of Hempstead, and that is fairly recent. I know Oyster Bay does not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or