Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 04:52 PM

3 posts, read 3,500 times

Advertisements

Hey Guys,

Was wondering if I can get some information from someone that experienced this problem before. My father is handicap, he spends most of his days in doors and with this beautiful weather I decided to take him to Lifetime Fitness in garden city for him to enjoy the outdoor weather by the pool for once. I parked in the handicap spot and displayed the Handicap permit on the dashboard. Much to my surprise, on our way out a ticket was placed on the windshield for $335.00 (wow) ..... I understand that the permit my dad has is registered to his vehicle as a NYC on street parking permit. He cant really walk so the handicap spot was really only option. Is there a way that the judge would dismiss this? I mean my dad doesn't transform into this healthy guy once he enters Nassau county... if you know what i mean.

Any advise from someone who had the same issue would be much appreciated.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2018, 07:50 PM

259 posts, read 174,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramik80 View Post
Hey Guys,

Was wondering if I can get some information from someone that experienced this problem before. My father is handicap, he spends most of his days in doors and with this beautiful weather I decided to take him to Lifetime Fitness in garden city for him to enjoy the outdoor weather by the pool for once. I parked in the handicap spot and displayed the Handicap permit on the dashboard. Much to my surprise, on our way out a ticket was placed on the windshield for $335.00 (wow) ..... I understand that the permit my dad has is registered to his vehicle as a NYC on street parking permit. He cant really walk so the handicap spot was really only option. Is there a way that the judge would dismiss this? I mean my dad doesn't transform into this healthy guy once he enters Nassau county... if you know what i mean.

Any advise from someone who had the same issue would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Were you driving his car in Nassau? If not you are up ****s creek. The placard is tied to teh vehicle, not the person.
You could have dropped him off/picked him up by the door. I did that with my dad all the time.

Old 07-10-2018, 08:17 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,233,985 times
shame of that is every day I see people parked in handicapped spaces with no permit or special license plate!

Old 07-11-2018, 06:07 AM

3,513 posts, read 5,695,389 times
The NYC dashboard plaque is for NYC only. It has no meaning in the rest of the state or anywhere else in the country.
Get your dad a handicap tag that hangs from the rear view mirror (its not tied to a car). That is good everywhere in the state including NYC (Not on street, only for parking lots). For on street you need the NYC dashboard plaque.

Old 07-11-2018, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabbathunter View Post
Were you driving his car in Nassau? If not you are up ****s creek. The placard is tied to teh vehicle, not the person.
You could have dropped him off/picked him up by the door. I did that with my dad all the time.
The NYC dashboard plaque is meaningless outside NYC and is only for on street parking in NYC, not parking lots with handicapped spaces.

Old 07-11-2018, 06:35 AM

150 posts, read 109,966 times
No chance this gets dismissed. It's been a while since I've had the NYC placard (used to be called the pink handicap card), but even in NYC, it's only for street use, not private parking lots.

You could've helped him out of the car and then go park the car legally in a normal spot. But you were too lazy.

Old 07-11-2018, 10:33 AM

So what your saying is to just pay the ticket? If I plead not guilty will they at least reduce the fine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhHell View Post
No chance this gets dismissed. It's been a while since I've had the NYC placard (used to be called the pink handicap card), but even in NYC, it's only for street use, not private parking lots.

You could've helped him out of the car and then go park the car legally in a normal spot. But you were too lazy.

Old 07-11-2018, 10:40 AM

150 posts, read 109,966 times
Nassau County is known to only want your money. That's all they care about. In this case, there's no points involved. I would guess you will get no discount on the fine, because they want your money. But it never hurts to try. You lose your time.

Old 07-11-2018, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramik80 View Post
So what your saying is to just pay the ticket? If I plead not guilty will they at least reduce the fine?

Doubtful.. next time follow the rules

Old 07-11-2018, 12:35 PM

Looks like ill just send them the money .... not worth my time. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhHell View Post
Nassau County is known to only want your money. That's all they care about. In this case, there's no points involved. I would guess you will get no discount on the fine, because they want your money. But it never hurts to try. You lose your time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: