Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2018, 03:02 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
In 15 years gx89 will revive this thread and mastic will still be a dump with low property values.
By then gx89 will probably be moved down to a southern state because she can't afford the Mastics anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2018, 06:16 PM

40 posts, read 65,299 times
Lol , you know what I have started to look at homes in mastic. You just might be on to something

Old 08-12-2018, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddybear128 View Post
Lol , you know what I have started to look at homes in mastic. You just might be on to something
To me it's clear as day. Glad to see another sees the arbitrage opportunity.

Old 08-12-2018, 10:25 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,325,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
By then gx89 will probably be moved down to a southern state because she can't afford the Mastics anymore.
My kid will still be in school then, we will be here. I will always be able to afford the mastics I live in a town where it's easier to find a house over 1.4mm than under 700k.

Old 08-13-2018, 04:39 AM

Quote:
My kid will still be in school then, we will be here. I will always be able to afford the mastics I live in a town where it's easier to find a house over 1.4mm than under 700k.
That is why I brought up mean reversion one page ago. That gap you speak of will be contracting.

Old 08-13-2018, 06:37 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,325,501 times
Quote:
That is why I brought up mean reversion one page ago. That gap you speak of will be contracting.
It won't be contracting since there is a very limited housing stock of smaller homes on small lots. Majority of houses are on acre lots or larger and have homes at minimum of 3500 sq ft.

Old 08-13-2018, 07:26 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,824,080 times
Quote:
That's because the Mastics and Riverhead are heating up and about to blowup. Just look at the difference between rents and sales. You'd be stupid not to jump in now.
Same thing they said VERBATIM in 2006. By 2009, prices back to the cellar. In this boom they are only up to @$20k over the highs then. Avg annual return over 18 years is 1.9%. Would have done better with CD's. One of the rare examples of losing money on RE in New York. Good luck with that timing. You'll need it.

For a good piece of land cheap (relative to LI) to build custom on and no kids in schools, Mastic is a find. That's not gentrification though, it's actually the opposite and stifles the kind of dense develop needed to gentrify. People putting in a million dollar custom home are NOT going to vote YES on the proposed condo development or worse yet "affordable" or mixed use project when it gets pitched. No way. If you lived here, you'd know. LI isn't the land of gentrification. It's the land of flipping homes for profit while impacting the "unique suburban culture" (thank you, Herr Kate Murray) as little as possible.

Follow the flippers, dude. They likely already beat you to the money.

Last edited by monstermagnet; 08-13-2018 at 07:36 AM..

Old 08-13-2018, 09:24 AM

12 posts, read 16,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
Same thing they said VERBATIM in 2006. By 2009, prices back to the cellar. In this boom they are only up to @$20k over the highs then. Avg annual return over 18 years is 1.9%. Would have done better with CD's. One of the rare examples of losing money on RE in New York. Good luck with that timing. You'll need it.

For a good piece of land cheap (relative to LI) to build custom on and no kids in schools, Mastic is a find. That's not gentrification though, it's actually the opposite and stifles the kind of dense develop needed to gentrify. People putting in a million dollar custom home are NOT going to vote YES on the proposed condo development or worse yet "affordable" or mixed use project when it gets pitched. No way. If you lived here, you'd know. LI isn't the land of gentrification. It's the land of flipping homes for profit while impacting the "unique suburban culture" (thank you, Herr Kate Murray) as little as possible.

Follow the flippers, dude. They likely already beat you to the money.
You're wasting your time with this one.

Plain and simple: If Mastic was so attractive, it would have been bought up and gentrified by now. The commute west from there is hell. But what really sets it apart is the atmosphere. It's just a dreary place to call home, and one feels that so much more when they commute >3 hours daily just to come home to a hell hole.

It. Will. Never. Happen.

On a side note....I'm running out of songs.

Old 08-13-2018, 09:45 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,824,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monolithic View Post
You're wasting your time with this one.

Plain and simple: If Mastic was so attractive, it would have been bought up and gentrified by now. The commute west from there is hell. But what really sets it apart is the atmosphere. It's just a dreary place to call home, and one feels that so much more when they commute >3 hours daily just to come home to a hell hole.

It. Will. Never. Happen.

On a side note....I'm running out of songs.
Nah, they're still making more.

Old 08-13-2018, 05:59 PM

Quote:
It won't be contracting since there is a very limited housing stock of smaller homes on small lots. Majority of houses are on acre lots or larger and have homes at minimum of 3500 sq ft.
That sounds ridiculous. I imagine your neighborhood will eventually start running short on buyers. That price instability won't touch the Mastics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island