Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2018, 08:05 AM

247 posts, read 181,038 times

Advertisements

“We are now moving to facial-recognition technology, which takes it to a whole new level, where it can see the face of the person in the car and run that technology against databases." Andrew Cuomo July 2018

"Run that technology against databases" He says in a twist of words instead of saying we run your face through the DMV faces databases and keep records your location and travels.

Was the novel 1984 an instruction manual or does he just like what the authoritarian regime in China is doing and think Americans deserve the same ?

30 years ago if you went around insisting that in the future the government would be putting up cameras and scanning your face with computers and they would have sent you to a psychiatrist. Even George Orwell did not envision racial recognition.

This is so incredibly creepy, where does it end ? I would rather live in a world where unlucky people who can't afford traffic ticket extortion entanglement keep driving to work on a suspend license then this dystopian nightmare that should be only in science fiction novels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2018, 08:38 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,407,821 times
Good. What do you have to hide?

Old 07-27-2018, 09:10 AM

215 posts, read 248,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenKW View Post
This is so incredibly creepy, where does it end ?
Welcome to the future - get used to it... With all the cameras in the NYC transit system, I'm sure my daily routine is already on file.

Hard to straddle that line between keeping people safe without encroaching on your freedoms.

Old 07-27-2018, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
Good. What do you have to hide?

The last copy of the bill of rights.

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized. Terry v. Ohio. Stuff like that. This stuff is important.

I am not a constitutional lawyer, I am just old and have seen alot of decades. The rise of mass incarceration and authoritarianism has not made America a better place. In fact for the first time the average life expectancy has gone down due to "deaths of despair" thanks to all of that.

Atmosphere - the pervading tone or mood of a place, situation... Machines scanning your face and running it through computers. It is dystopian. Why are we creating an America with the atmosphere and tactics of an authoritarian police state like China, what is the benefit to offset that ? How will it make any of our lives better ?

Old 07-27-2018, 09:44 AM

2,759 posts, read 2,049,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenKW View Post
what is the benefit to offset that ? How will it make any of our lives better ?
Maybe you should ask that question of someone in law enforcement the next time they are searching for a shooting or terrorist-incident suspect. Would you not want that person or persons located and apprehended as soon as possible?

Old 07-27-2018, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1174Sixer View Post
Welcome to the future - get used to it... With all the cameras in the NYC transit system, I'm sure my daily routine is already on file.

Hard to straddle that line between keeping people safe without encroaching on your freedoms.

With regular surveillance cameras your daily routine is just random noise.

I am a grandfather I made it this far with no problems, no close calls nothing. I don't feel unsafe or see the need for the government to use machines to scan faces in public so I really don't get it. Name that threat. Safe from who or what ?

Old 07-27-2018, 10:01 AM

194 posts, read 168,241 times
Quote:

That's exactly the problem, all of this is encroaching on your freedoms. It's getting to be a bit too much IMO. But obviously, there is nothing we can do besides deal with it. Maybe I'm delusional, but all these things don't appear to be making us safer. Maybe it's just the news stations trying to get views and dwelling on every doom and gloom story.

I agree with Ben Franklin.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Old 07-27-2018, 10:14 AM

2,445 posts, read 1,219,565 times
Wear a Burka. They will have no clue what's under there.

Old 07-27-2018, 10:15 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times
Quote:

It is a balancing act, I don't think its my concern that they are using this technology but more the fact that I really don't trust those elected officials who may have access to it. They take an oath of office but nothing compels them to maintain an individuals rights or privacy. Just look at the recent FBI raid on an attorneys office, done with a legal warrant but now all kinds of work products from his client are making it into the news. Isn't that a violation of Attorney/client privilege? But for elected officials its more fodder for their parties.

Old 07-27-2018, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
Maybe you should ask that question of someone in law enforcement the next time they are searching for a shooting or terrorist-incident suspect. Would you not want that person or persons located and apprehended as soon as possible?
Honestly no, I would rather live in a free country with some problems once in a wile. China has fewer shootings and terrorism and I don't want to live like them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island