Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2018, 03:34 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,766,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceLord Mutha Mutha View Post
I'm sure I don't care. A whole block fulla Massengill...you fit right in.
Sounds like to me from your bitter angry posts blaming everyone and everything else it isn’t LI that had the dbag attitude problem it was you. Good riddance. I pity your neighbors in NC you must be a treat to be around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2018, 07:11 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,824,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CogentChas View Post
That because we’ve consumed so much of their natural habitat with overdevelopment. The deer on the island are also unhealthier and tick infested.
Oh please, let's stop deflecting with silly hyperbole. LI's deer issue is mostly restricted to the pine barrens and a bit in the national shore areas. Upstate is a nightmare. Deer on people's lawns, all over the roads. Explosion of lyme disease and auto collisions. It's only 2 hours away. We've been there. Driving through Sullivan and Ulster county at night is a deer slalom course. LI isn't. LI sucks, yes, but let's stick to the reality. In fairness, one of the problems is as those regions grow w/ NYC expats, fewer people hunt. Getting overrun by deer, but a new Whole Foods will open. It's a delicate balance.

Burgeoning deer population has even invaded inner cities - News - recordonline.com - Middletown, NY

Old 08-11-2018, 07:34 AM

20,024 posts, read 20,826,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CogentChas View Post
https://patch.com/new-york/portwashi...s-gobble-ticks

These quail are a cool solution to the tick problem.
Yup. But people will complain about that too.

Old 08-11-2018, 11:16 AM

57 posts, read 46,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
Oh please, let's stop deflecting with silly hyperbole. LI's deer issue is mostly restricted to the pine barrens and a bit in the national shore areas. Upstate is a nightmare. Deer on people's lawns, all over the roads. Explosion of lyme disease and auto collisions. It's only 2 hours away. We've been there. Driving through Sullivan and Ulster county at night is a deer slalom course. LI isn't. LI sucks, yes, but let's stick to the reality. In fairness, one of the problems is as those regions grow w/ NYC expats, fewer people hunt. Getting overrun by deer, but a new Whole Foods will open. It's a delicate balance.

Burgeoning deer population has even invaded inner cities - News - recordonline.com - Middletown, NY
The fact remains that LI is a hotspot for Lyme disease and our growing population of and over abundance of deer, albeit mostly concentrated in Suffolk, are exacerbating the problems that come with overdevelopment. In terms of scale, the Island can’t compare to semi-rural Orange County and likely never will in terms of deer population and incidents, you’re right. We’re an isolated Island in the midst of a metropolis. Orange County abuts unadulterated wilderness. Apples and oranges. Your article proves my point, as suburban sprawl into deer territory attracts and cultivates deer populations since they can thrive in areas with human food, gardens, and no hunting. And lack of hunting isn’t the problem, your article points to the fact that over 220,000 deer per year are harvested by hunters. Hunting in suburbia isn’t the solution either. Avoiding overdevelopment and not treating deer like they’re your pets and feeding them or enabling them to eat from your yard is.

Old 08-11-2018, 12:24 PM

Holy crap.
Deer are scapegoats. They are not the primary spreaders of ticks. Fact. 100%.
They are big, they eat up my landscape, and scare the crap out of me every time one of them darts out in front of me in the dark at 2AM. They don't sneak into my house, have babies and proceed to crap all over the place, chew up electric wires, gnaw through the kitchen cabinets, food, and anything else they get their teeth on.

Old 08-11-2018, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Holy crap.
Deer are scapegoats. They are not the primary spreaders of ticks. Fact. 100%.
They are big, they eat up my landscape, and scare the crap out of me every time one of them darts out in front of me in the dark at 2AM. They don't sneak into my house, have babies and proceed to crap all over the place, chew up electric wires, gnaw through the kitchen cabinets, food, and anything else they get their teeth on.
They might be disproportionately shouldering more of the tick spreading burden than they statistically should be, but take one look at a scrawny one engulfed in flies and who knows what else and tell me they don’t have tics. Regardless, you make a valid point, and people need to consider the role smaller critters and their populations play in spreading tick borne illnesses.

Old 08-11-2018, 02:39 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,232,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
They don't sneak into my house, have babies and proceed to crap all over the place, chew up electric wires, gnaw through the kitchen cabinets, food, and anything else they get their teeth on.
Undocumented immigrants?

Old 08-11-2018, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Undocumented immigrants?
Thanks.
I'm still cleaning up the coffee I spit out when I read that.

Old 08-11-2018, 05:47 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,397,897 times
speaking of deer, I was in Phoenix this past week and noticed something strange sticking out of the front of a Nissan Versa. Looked like two little pipes. My DH told me they are deer whistles. They make a loud annoying sound that deer's can't stand so they run away when they hear it. There is a huge deer population there and most cars have this.

Old 08-11-2018, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
speaking of deer, I was in Phoenix this past week and noticed something strange sticking out of the front of a Nissan Versa. Looked like two little pipes. My DH told me they are deer whistles. They make a loud annoying sound that deer's can't stand so they run away when they hear it. There is a huge deer population there and most cars have this.
That’s wild, wonder what one of those costs. Maybe something people in the northeast should consider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island