Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 04:45 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,771,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
A true revolutionary - that'll show 'em.
Yep we have a regular Che Guevara of fireworks here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2018, 08:39 AM

14 posts, read 13,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TownDweller View Post
My wife and I are looking to move in Q1 2019. We are both city people originally but found some contentment in the burbs upstate. That said, where we are now is in decline and we are tired of it.

We are late 50's, I am a Financial Planner and she is an RN. I expect to work on LI sand so does she although in the boroughs is possible for either of us. It depends on what we find. We don't want to buy for the first year, maybe two. So for the first year, we want a location that will fit a few criteria.

1) At least 1500sf, probably closer to 2000. It could be an apartment, townhouse or SF. Has to be updated or new, no room conditioners and in-unit laundry is not negotiable.
2) Budget is $2500-3500 per month.
3) We don't need a vibrant Town center but would like to be 5-15 minutes from a stretch with some decent dining options.
4) Schools are not a need, although I suspect the better schools will coincide with better areas in general.
5) We don't want gangs anywhere around us.
6) We are agnostic on Nassau or Suffolk, but don't want to be in the more isolated areas which are probably mostly in Suffolk.
7) Diversity is fine, good, we prefer it but don't want to feel like a minority as Anglos.

Her family is between Valley Stream and Massapequa Park. I'd like to be close enough for easy visits but not sure I want to live next door to them.
Charlotte.

Old 07-31-2018, 09:49 AM

558 posts, read 299,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Your wish list will make it challenging to find something within your stated budget. The rental market is very tight, especially new and/or updated units/homes/condos. Occasionally, something could come up in the Huntington area, but you might have to increase your budget a bit.

If you have pets, it'll make it even more difficult.
If the budget has to move upward we'll figure that part out. Last night I saw a number of listings on Zillow and some of the $3k rentals looked dreadful.

Surprisingly, I did find some interesting possibilities in the outer reaches Queens. I know I'll need to be careful there but I was really surprised with areas like Bayshore, Kew Gardens, Jamaica Estates and other places.

On LI, it looks like a lot of the more desirable areas are not taking pets. Too bad for me.

Last thought on my preliminary research: SF and townhomes seen to be potentially better deals than many of the modern apartment units. I saw studios for $2k+ on LI. Not LI City, LI. I didn't expect to see that.

Old 07-31-2018, 11:05 AM

247 posts, read 181,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Thx! I do have the best lawn on the block
Narcissists tend to display a need for admiration and a preoccupation with status.

Old 07-31-2018, 11:21 AM

247 posts, read 181,038 times
Quote:
A true revolutionary - that'll show 'em.
Yes and to have even MORE fun the thing to do is connect the stereo to You Tube and play fireworks videos on full volume. No one can tell the difference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2EmmscnB8Q

Then when the when those hemorrhoids that hate both freedom and fun call the police on you July 4th the cops come and its funny as hell. God forbid if I am on long island next year I should rent some DJ equipment as that would be much louder then the real thing.

Those vial creatures will only win the war on fun if you stop having fun.

Everyone knows those vial creatures would rather young people bored and depressed in the basement doing drugs then having fun on a holiday, sadly their war on fun campaign is working.

Last edited by TenKW; 07-31-2018 at 11:36 AM..

Old 07-31-2018, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenKW View Post
Yes and to have even MORE fun the thing to do is connect the stereo to You Tube and play fireworks videos on full volume. No one can tell the difference.

Then when the when those hemorrhoids that hate both freedom and fun call the police on you July 4th the cops come and its funny as hell. God forbid if I am on long island next year I should rent some DJ equipment as that would be much louder then the real thing.

Everyone knows those vial creatures would rather young people bored and depressed in the basement doing drugs then having fun on a holiday, sadly their war on fun campaign is working.

I think there are far more important things in the world to worry about than your "right" to shoot off exploding things that make pretty sparkles at night.

Old 07-31-2018, 12:35 PM

Quote:

[URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2EmmscnB8Q[/URL]

You clearly have no clue.

I spent 8 summers on LI, and just recently had my first 4th of July in North Carolina. There are far more fireworks on LI with minimal to zero police interference. It's not even close.

That being said, the right to keep and bear fireworks is not exactly on my list when looking for a home.

I suggest you find a new hobby.

Old 07-31-2018, 12:36 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Quote:

Great - Now you're making memes about people who live in small bottles. What a crusader!

Old 07-31-2018, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoned out space cadet View Post
You clearly have no clue.

I spent 8 summers on LI, and just recently had my first 4th of July in North Carolina. There are far more fireworks on LI with minimal to zero police interference. It's not even close.

Aside from that, the right to keep and bear fireworks is not exactly on my list when looking to buy.

I suggest you get a new hobby.

100% I lived in FL half my life. The amount of fireworks here every 4th of july blows what i used to see in Fireworks-Legal FL out of the water. Its insane.

Old 07-31-2018, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Great - Now you're making memes about people who live in small bottles. What a crusader!
He's about 9kW short of a circuit...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island