Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2018, 08:51 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,771,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm3846 View Post
Ulster the middle of nowhere??? You're 20 minutes from Poughkeepsie and less than an hour from Albany. Another 3 hours north or 2 hours west is the middle of nowhere.
Yup. Might as well be the moon. No thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2018, 09:11 AM

16 posts, read 8,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Ulster is also the middle of friggen nowhere. Ill never forget how dark it was driving through some of the backroads up there at night. Not to mention much more snow up there. Waaaay too rural for me. If thats your thing knock yourself out, for me no thanks.
OMG dark roads! No street lights! Do you think they have cable TV? Or telephone?

Mercy me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That area is not nearly as rural as you make it sound.

Old 08-10-2018, 09:11 AM

57 posts, read 46,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceLord Mutha Mutha View Post
We looked in Ulster before settling on NC. It's very VERY do-able. Most people overlook the buses. They cost a bit more, but the schedules are more favorable than Metro-North. I have friends that have been doing it for years and find the buses to be far more reliable than the trains.

We were looking in Gardner (New Paltz Schools)....there's plenty to do up there, with nice downtown areas and an artsy vibe. There's a free park and ride just off exit 18 on the NYS Thruway and buses leave every half hour for Grand Central (90 minute ride). My train ride from Massapequa was an hour each way as is, and seats were not guaranteed no matter how early I left. Not to mention the inevitable delays and nightmare commutes when the LIRR had problems (which is 3x a week).

Lower taxes, more land, a laid back atmosphere and I'd give it a .5 on the doosh-meter (Massapequa and south shore LI in general are off the charts - can't even get a reading).
So true with the buses, it’s a lengthy commute but definitely chiller than the insanity of cramming into a peak LIRR train at Penn and then stewing in the obnoxiousness and irritability of some of your fellow passengers for over an hour, seat or not, only to return to your tiny plot of land in an overpopulated and overpriced suburb where you can look out your window, pull up a seat, and watch the Jets game from their massive tv. Might as well have a shorter commute at that rate and live in the outer boroughs or Nassau Queens border.

Last edited by CogentChas; 08-10-2018 at 09:24 AM..

Old 08-10-2018, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CogentChas View Post
So true with the buses, it’s a lengthy commute but definitely chiller than the insanity of cramming into a peak LIRR train at Penn and then stewing in the obnoxiousness and irritability of some of your fellow passengers for over an hour, seat or not, only to return to your tiny plot of land in an overpopulated and overpriced suburb where you can look at your window, pull up a seat, and watch the Jets game from their massive tv. Might as well have a shorter commute at that rate and live in the outer boroughs or Nassau Queens border.
^^^^This^^^^

Old 08-10-2018, 09:22 AM

57 posts, read 46,747 times
Quote:
Ulster is also the middle of friggen nowhere. Ill never forget how dark it was driving through some of the backroads up there at night. Not to mention much more snow up there. Waaaay too rural for me. If thats your thing knock yourself out, for me no thanks.
Different strokes for different folks, but outside of some quaint,well designed communities on the Island (that mind you only the super rich can really afford), the Island is overpopulated, well passed its carrying capacity. Whoever allowed developers to build so many homes on such a small piece of land clearly lacked foresight. What kind of zoning laws were in place at that time?

And at any rate, streets without those blindingly bright LED lights are highly desirable. Case in point all the affluent north shore Long Island enclaves that lack them. People pay a premium for that "rural" feel.

Old 08-10-2018, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm3846 View Post
Ulster the middle of nowhere??? You're 20 minutes from Poughkeepsie and less than an hour from Albany. Another 3 hours north or 2 hours west is the middle of nowhere.
So true...there is plenty to do up there and the area is not depressed. Locals are generally well to do. Plenty of work in either direction (Albany or NYC). Sure there are rural roads but that only adds to the charm. I love taking rides at dusk up there and seeing all the deer. The locals seem very cognizant and welcoming as they share the roads with the wildlife...as well as with PEOPLE! Lots of folks ride bikes on those roads safely. Then you have the state parks / preserves..Minnewaska, Sam's Point, Mohink Preserve. Awesome views. Rock climbing / hiking...

I've lived up in Bumpkinsville where everyone is pizz poor and there's nothing to do but talk about toothless Mary and who she gave it up to behind the local tavern last night. Ulster County is NOT that.

Old 08-10-2018, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceLord Mutha Mutha View Post
OMG dark roads! No street lights! Do you think they have cable TV? Or telephone?

Mercy me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That area is not nearly as rural as you make it sound.
LOL! They probably don't, and you can have it! Living in isolation with 20 acres in the styx is not for me.

Old 08-10-2018, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CogentChas View Post
Different strokes for different folks, but outside of some quaint,well designed communities on the Island (that mind you only the super rich can really afford), the Island is overpopulated, well passed its carrying capacity. Whoever allowed developers to build so many homes on such a small piece of land clearly lacked foresight. What kind of zoning laws were in place at that time?

And at any rate, streets without those blindingly bright LED lights are highly desirable. Case in point all the affluent north shore Long Island enclaves that lack them. People pay a premium for that "rural" feel.
Yeah highly desirable when you slam into a deer a few feet away you cant even see. Ugh you couldn't pay me to live up there. I actually like densely populated areas, if and when I leave LI it will certainly be another metro area. Different strokes like you say...

Old 08-10-2018, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Yeah highly desirable when you slam into a deer a few feet away you cant even see. Ugh you couldn't pay me to live up there. Different strokes like you say...
You're right. I wouldn't pay you to live up there.

Old 08-10-2018, 09:55 AM

345 posts, read 338,839 times
Its probably more likely that you'll hit a deer on LI than upstate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island