Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2018, 08:05 PM

2,759 posts, read 2,046,182 times

Advertisements

The prior owners of this house had a Four Seasons sunroom installed in 2009. That company must be one of the worst to deal with if you're not calling their new-sales department, so they're no help.

If you've had one of these installed, did they completely enclose the foundation with solid skirting? That's what they did here and although it's great at keeping critters out, it's not great for the health of the foundation and subfloor. I'm going to have to have several foundation vents installed and am wondering if anyone else has done that to their Four Seasons room or had structural issues because they didn't.

Ants definitely get into the walls of the sunroom, both on the window walls and the party wall with the house. And I'm constantly cleaning mildew off the window framing; is this common?

Also, anyone have a problem with leaks during heavy rains, specifically from the area where the sunroom attaches to the house itself? During heavy rain the volume of water coming off the house roof backs up to that attachment area and water drips through one area of trim moulding. I just had an inspector check the area today with a moisture meter and it's wet behind that section of drywall (over the door) but thankfully nowhere else (yet.)

Third question: What kind of flooring did you put into your Four Seasons room? What's here is vinyl tiles, which look somewhat crappy and are starting to peel up. I'm thinking about replacing them with sheet vinyl but have no idea of the condition of the subfloor; if it's already in bad shape from moisture, I've got a problem. At best the plywood would need a coat of thinset to make it smooth for anything new.

One of the neighbors told me early on that the prior owner had recurring problems with the room leaking and "had those guys back several times". I have heard some horror stories about Four Seasons installation problems and so was wondering what anyone's experience here has been. Thanks!

(note to mods, please keep this in the Long Island forum because I'm looking for input re: installs on LI only, thanks!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2018, 09:54 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,142,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
The prior owners of this house had a Four Seasons sunroom installed in 2009. That company must be one of the worst to deal with if you're not calling their new-sales department, so they're no help.

If you've had one of these installed, did they completely enclose the foundation with solid skirting? That's what they did here and although it's great at keeping critters out, it's not great for the health of the foundation and subfloor. I'm going to have to have several foundation vents installed and am wondering if anyone else has done that to their Four Seasons room or had structural issues because they didn't.

Ants definitely get into the walls of the sunroom, both on the window walls and the party wall with the house. And I'm constantly cleaning mildew off the window framing; is this common?

Also, anyone have a problem with leaks during heavy rains, specifically from the area where the sunroom attaches to the house itself? During heavy rain the volume of water coming off the house roof backs up to that attachment area and water drips through one area of trim moulding. I just had an inspector check the area today with a moisture meter and it's wet behind that section of drywall (over the door) but thankfully nowhere else (yet.)

Third question: What kind of flooring did you put into your Four Seasons room? What's here is vinyl tiles, which look somewhat crappy and are starting to peel up. I'm thinking about replacing them with sheet vinyl but have no idea of the condition of the subfloor; if it's already in bad shape from moisture, I've got a problem. At best the plywood would need a coat of thinset to make it smooth for anything new.

One of the neighbors told me early on that the prior owner had recurring problems with the room leaking and "had those guys back several times". I have heard some horror stories about Four Seasons installation problems and so was wondering what anyone's experience here has been. Thanks!

(note to mods, please keep this in the Long Island forum because I'm looking for input re: installs on LI only, thanks!)
Four Seasons Sunrooms was acquired by a UK company in 2006 and is now part of their home improvement portfolio of companies.

I will DM you a potential contact person.

Old 08-02-2018, 08:02 AM

Thanks, Elke. I will say that I was extremely frustrated with the one time I tried getting any information from Four Seasons after I bought this house. I had a very simple question which was "What are the NFRC ratings of the glass used in this sunroom?" These ratings give valuable information such as R-value, UV transmission, etc. Four Seasons advertises that their glass is "proprietary" and the glass itself bears no markings.

I wanted the UV ratings because I was trying to decide between putting the clear Llumar window film on the inside of the glass door between the house and the sunroom, or putting it on the Four Seasons glass itself. Doing only the door would be much cheaper but doing the sunroom glass would also cut down on heat gain in summer, which is massive even if all the windows are left open.

It took me four weeks of phone calls to even get someone in the Holbrook office to call me back. The first two people tried to tell me I needed to set up a "service call", for which there would be a fee. I tried to explain that I didn't need service, I just needed a piece of basic information about the material (glass) they use. I also asked about the transferability of their warranty to a second owner and they danced around the question like Fred Astaire. Never did get an answer to either question: When I finally reached a so-called supervisor (which I suspect was just an office person pretending to be a boss) he told me they don't supply information about the materials they use. So I put the film on the connecting door instead but the stonewalling I experienced left a really bad impression on me.

I know Four Seasons farms out their installations to local crews and from all I've read, it's luck of the draw whether the crew you get knows what the heck they are doing. Especially since my neighbors report that the prior owners couldn't even get leaks fixed properly when the structure was new. That tells me they really don't give a you-know-what once they get their money from the customer.

Old 08-02-2018, 08:58 AM

1,606 posts, read 2,961,031 times
nothing like cutting a large hole in the side of your house and wiping your hands of all responsibility of it. I've heard nothing but horror stories with these sunrooms.

Old 08-02-2018, 09:22 AM

2,771 posts, read 4,528,333 times
BBC,
I recently had a “Life Room” installed/purchase from Four Seasons.
Slightly different from a regular sunroom. These have retractable screens.
The “Life Room” is an amazing product with a lot of features. It’s off my French doors and I usually
leave the screens up. It is on my pavers.

HOWEVER, their CUSTOMER SERVICE IS HORRIFIC! No one calls you back, everything is voicemail
If they need you for an appointment, down payment, etc.... THEY DONT STOP CALLING YOU! The installation and installers were great! HOWEVER, ABSOLUTELY no followup from the company what so ever. Cashed my check, heard from them once for my delivery.

Sad, because the Life Room is a great product HOWEVER, because of their lack of customer service I wouldn’t recommend them. Otherwise, their product is great!

Old 08-02-2018, 05:06 PM

Spanky, I just looked at it on their website; so designwise it's basically an arbor with a mostly solid roof and motorized screen walls?

Interesting concept but I'll be interested to hear how long it takes for those "Cool Mist" jets to clog up, especially if the owner has water thats even remotely hard. ;-) I hope replacement tips are available.:-)

Just curious, is there a way to manually raise and lower the screen walls in the event of a power failure or malfunction? Depending on the size of the room, those look like some mighty big screens!

Old 08-02-2018, 06:25 PM

2,771 posts, read 4,528,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
Spanky, I just looked at it on their website; so designwise it's basically an arbor with a mostly solid roof and motorized screen walls?

Interesting concept but I'll be interested to hear how long it takes for those "Cool Mist" jets to clog up, especially if the owner has water thats even remotely hard. ;-) I hope replacement tips are available.:-)

Just curious, is there a way to manually raise and lower the screen walls in the event of a power failure or malfunction? Depending on the size of the room, those look like some mighty big screens!
-Yes, solid roof, & motorized screens
-The cool mist system..... I blow out the lines when I blow out my sprinklers lines. Simple tubbing if I ever needed to replace it. (Of course, NO ONE FROM THE COMPANY came by to show or tell me this, just seemed logical to do). The average person probably have NO IDEA.
-There is away to manual raise the screens. AGAIN, NO ONE SHOWED ME. I had to figure it out myself.
-The entire room is 16X14 with the screens probably about 14X12. Great screens for a projector!

Again, great product. CUSTOM SERVICE IS PATHETIC! No one showed me how to operate anything! Even though they promised to come by and demonstrate. CRICKETS

I sure hope they read this!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island