Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 05:16 PM

1 posts, read 2,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCrabby View Post
Well, it may depend where in Valley Stream, the closer you are to the Queens county border the worse it gets. The area around the Green Acres Shopping Mall is shot as well.

only nice part left of the village is west of hendrikson park and parts of gibson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2008, 10:49 PM

5 posts, read 33,479 times
Default Hempstead

is ok as long as it's the small part of it abutting Garden City... or the neighborhood around Hofstra University.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:35 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,815,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
I agree with what's been said, if you've got kids Valley Stream has the best schools (by far) out of all of those. If not, you can get a lot more for your money in Freeport since the schools are rough. The nicest parts of Freeport are south of Atlantic Avenue and the area on the west side generally known as "Stearn's Park" - which actually is in the Baldwin SD (much better schools). Other parts of Freeport have some issues and are more run down. Hempstead and Far Rockaway are the hood when it comes to Long Island, though even those have some nice parts.

The commute from any of these, except Bay Shore, is literally ten minutes or so. The traffic in western Nassau is pretty bad but they're all right on top of each other. Parking isn't a problem in any of these areas, it's crowded but not like NYC. Like Kbinspections mentioned there are plenty of other areas along the south shore that are likely in your price range too....you go a mile anywhere in Nassau and you're in a completely different neighborhood, there's a lot of em....grab a map and start punching those names into craigslist.

Good luck!
Watch out if you look in Stearn's Park. Had a friend who lived on one end of the block and my cousin on the other end of the block: it was Freeport, the friend was in Roosevelt schools, my cousin in Baldwin. (this was the 1960s). I lived south of Atlantic and it was wonderful.... 4th generation of my family there. I moved for college and stayed upstate.

Old 06-03-2008, 11:00 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,511,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
Watch out if you look in Stearn's Park. Had a friend who lived on one end of the block and my cousin on the other end of the block: it was Freeport, the friend was in Roosevelt schools, my cousin in Baldwin. (this was the 1960s). I lived south of Atlantic and it was wonderful.... 4th generation of my family there. I moved for college and stayed upstate.
I think if you're in the northern part of Stearn's Park and east of N Long Beach Ave, it's Roosevelt SD. Some of it is Freeport SD but the largest chunk is Baldwin, which is far and away the best pick for schools in that area, in my opinion. Nowadays it's pretty easy to find out what district any property is located in.

Old 06-04-2008, 09:00 AM

4,135 posts, read 10,815,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
I think if you're in the northern part of Stearn's Park and east of N Long Beach Ave, it's Roosevelt SD. Some of it is Freeport SD but the largest chunk is Baldwin, which is far and away the best pick for schools in that area, in my opinion. Nowadays it's pretty easy to find out what district any property is located in.
It was Mt. Joy Ave east of Pennsylvania ave and the block was split down the middle! First 6 or 8 homes by Pennsylvania were Baldwin SD and the others Roosevelt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island